You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2018 9:02 pm  #1

Esker 10 X 10 Classic hot tent at Mew Lake

As many of you know, I host the podcast Paddling Adventures Radio. So on Family Day weekend I decided to head up to Algonquin's 'Winter In The Wild' event and hopefully spread word of the show while camping in my new hot tent at Mew Lake. So I loaded up the truck with all my gear and set off.

My new winter tent is an Esker 10' X 10' Classic, which is a 4 sided hot tent. Inside I had my Kni-co Alaskan wood stove. A tad big for this tent but if I ever upgrade tents, I won't have to upgrade the stove at the same time.

Now, back on New Years I went up to Mew Lake to check out a bunch of tents before I bought one of my own. I saw a lot lot of tents with carpeting, and mats as flooring. I assumed, wrongly I would later discover, that people had laid down wood flooring and then the carpet. Nope. Using my smarticle particles, I decided I would lay down a tarp, then my custom made 10 X 10 floor and then set up my tent. Worked like a charm As other campers saw what I was doing, that was when I found out that they were not using a wood floor. They were placing the carpet directly on the snow.

Somehow I became part of the Demo Tour as about 30 people came through my tent to see my flooring and setup. Okily Dokily!!

Anyway, I had my cot set up plus a chair, which I didn't use much, and small square cooler that fit nicely between my cot and the stove so I could use it as a table and kitchen counter and the stove was still close enough for me to reach over and cook. Was a great set up indeed. A massive palace for one person. For two people I would not bring the cot.

When I wasn't giving tours of the humble abode, I spent the days meeting a chatting with an absolute ton of people, did some hiking and enjoyed nature. Was a great weekend to try out the new tent and great weather too.

Big empty plowed out site when I got there

Putting the floor down

Staking out the corners with spikes in the ice

Center pole in in

Sides strung out and gear inside

Interior view. What a mansion for one!!

All set up and ready for the weekend

Boiling water on the stove. The side tray keeps things nice and warm

Strung a rope through the loops in the peak and put clothespins up. Great for drying wet gloves and socks

Lit up from the inside at night

SeanOfAjax
Paddling Adventures Radio
www.paddlingadventuresradio.com
"Grab a paddle and get on the water"

3/01/2018 7:10 pm  #2

Re: Esker 10 X 10 Classic hot tent at Mew Lake

Well that is awesome! The cot and the floor lift it into the realm of luxury! Bravo!

3/08/2018 11:00 am  #3

Re: Esker 10 X 10 Classic hot tent at Mew Lake

Looks awesome! I have to look into doing something for the floor. After a couple of days I have a mini lake LOL. I remember your tent. We have the same truck lol. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.