LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2018 3:22 pm  #154


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

Swift Fifteen wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

PhillyPhilster wrote:

Next week's forecast for Brent is looking promising! sunny and double digit temperatures in 7 of the next 10 days.  I am still holding out a small sliver of hope for May 4th opener!

I REALLY want to believe that too! I honestly thought for sure Id be brook trout fishing back there already!

Did you do in your tailgate, or have you set it up to cant like that on purpose for unloading and loading? And thanks for the heads up on the snow conditions of Brent Rd..as depressing as it appears.

On that generation of Chevy trucks (88-94) you can just unhook the arms for the tailgate (you can see them on either side). This allows it to lower more like you see to make unloading/loading things easier (especially when your truck is way higher than stockhttp://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png
) I bet some people that own these trucks dont even realize you cando this.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/17/2018 3:24 pm)

 

4/17/2018 3:42 pm  #155


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

That's a pretty sweet option, i like it!

 

4/18/2018 7:21 am  #156


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

andrewr0520 wrote:

Yep, happened to me last year. Rain Lake Access was delayed, and I had made 2 or 3 changes prior to the date. They fully refunded me everything, and then I just re-booked at the park for the East Gate access. 

FYI.
I just called in to cancel the trip we had booked for May 3-6.
I had previously made a change to the dates and I was told by the representative that I was speaking with that they could NOT refund me the penalty costs for my previous booking changes.
So I am out $30+ dollars for a trip the park wouldn't have let me take in the first place.
 

Last edited by breed85 (4/18/2018 7:23 am)

     Thread Starter
 

4/18/2018 7:27 am  #157


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

breed85 wrote:

andrewr0520 wrote:

Yep, happened to me last year. Rain Lake Access was delayed, and I had made 2 or 3 changes prior to the date. They fully refunded me everything, and then I just re-booked at the park for the East Gate access. 

FYI.
I just called in to cancel the trip we had booked for May 3-6.
I had previously made a change to the dates and I was told by the representative that I was speaking with that they could NOT refund me the penalty costs for my previous booking changes.
So I am out $30+ dollars for a trip the park wouldn't have let me take in the first place.
 

Weird. I remember they contacted me last year, maybe that's the difference? I just got an email yesterday that my May 3-6 trip this year has been cancelled. I'm gonna call to get a refund, and wait and see what the weather does before re-booking. 
 

 

4/18/2018 7:29 am  #158


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

breed85, I thought when they delay backcountry opening they refund people who had reservations in the now-closed dates. Not if you phone to cancel but if you still have the reservation when they cancel it. Couldn't you just have waited for them to do this? Or is the issue the part of your trip that's after the 4th? (you'd think they'd cancel/refund the whole thing, it's not like you can just start a multi-day canoe trip part way through at a lake 3 days in...)

 

4/18/2018 7:50 am  #159


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

DanPM wrote:

breed85, I thought when they delay backcountry opening they refund people who had reservations in the now-closed dates. Not if you phone to cancel but if you still have the reservation when they cancel it. Couldn't you just have waited for them to do this? Or is the issue the part of your trip that's after the 4th? (you'd think they'd cancel/refund the whole thing, it's not like you can just start a multi-day canoe trip part way through at a lake 3 days in...)

I had some dates booked between opening and May 3rd.
We had previously shortened our overall trip down to May 3-6 because of some of my camping partners inability to get time off of work.

Due to the delayed opening we would be losing May 3rd so we decided to cancel the trip (even if the park opens on the 4th).

We were not charged any cancellation fees for cancelling this portion of the trip.

I was told that they would not be refunding me my initial reservation change fee incurred (due to previously shortening the trip).
It's not alot of money, but I'm a little disappointed because the Park wouldn't have been open on those dates anyways.
 

     Thread Starter
 

4/18/2018 7:52 am  #160


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

andrewr0520 wrote:

breed85 wrote:

andrewr0520 wrote:

Yep, happened to me last year. Rain Lake Access was delayed, and I had made 2 or 3 changes prior to the date. They fully refunded me everything, and then I just re-booked at the park for the East Gate access. 

FYI.
I just called in to cancel the trip we had booked for May 3-6.
I had previously made a change to the dates and I was told by the representative that I was speaking with that they could NOT refund me the penalty costs for my previous booking changes.
So I am out $30+ dollars for a trip the park wouldn't have let me take in the first place.
 

Weird. I remember they contacted me last year, maybe that's the difference? I just got an email yesterday that my May 3-6 trip this year has been cancelled. I'm gonna call to get a refund, and wait and see what the weather does before re-booking. 
 

I got that email yesterday as well.
That's why I called in this morning.

     Thread Starter
 

4/18/2018 8:37 am  #161


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

breed85 wrote:

andrewr0520 wrote:

breed85 wrote:


FYI.
I just called in to cancel the trip we had booked for May 3-6.
I had previously made a change to the dates and I was told by the representative that I was speaking with that they could NOT refund me the penalty costs for my previous booking changes.
So I am out $30+ dollars for a trip the park wouldn't have let me take in the first place.
 

Yeah maybe I got lucky last year? I hadn't expected them to refund the reservation changes, but they just did it. 
Weird. I remember they contacted me last year, maybe that's the difference? I just got an email yesterday that my May 3-6 trip this year has been cancelled. I'm gonna call to get a refund, and wait and see what the weather does before re-booking. 
 

I got that email yesterday as well.
That's why I called in this morning.

 

 

4/18/2018 1:02 pm  #162


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

http://i63.tinypic.com/dpzhwj.jpg

 

4/18/2018 7:17 pm  #163


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

Okay guys, jokes aside here is a photo of an area South of most of Algonquin, but North of HWY 60. This photo was taken this afternoon:
http://i65.tinypic.com/spc681.jpg

Last edited by Peek (4/18/2018 7:18 pm)

 

4/19/2018 12:47 am  #164


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

Finally a little ice melting weather in the forecast at least.  I think I'll head up and poke some holes this weekend to see how much ice is left on the smaller lakes.  

 

4/19/2018 6:57 am  #165


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

Peek wrote:

Okay guys, jokes aside here is a photo of an area South of most of Algonquin, but North of HWY 60. This photo was taken this afternoon:

Crazy! It looks like I should be going down that way for some late season snowmobile riding!
 

 

4/19/2018 7:23 am  #166


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

Finally a little ice melting weather in the forecast at least.   

Yes, I think Spring has finally arrived. A long way to go until ice-out, but at least the ice will be heading in the right direction!

 

4/19/2018 7:26 am  #167


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

Uppa wrote:

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

Finally a little ice melting weather in the forecast at least.   

Yes, I think Spring has finally arrived. A long way to go until ice-out, but at least the ice will be heading in the right direction!

Exactly my thoughts. I'm hoping to get out to Kiosk this weekend or early next week for a hike and lunch on a fire. Will update with photos when I do so. If I'm feeling adventurous Ill bring my 6" auger to check the ice.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/19/2018 7:27 am)

 

4/19/2018 8:29 am  #168


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

I'm getting my best forecast looking at 'Algonquin.' Whitney, Huntsville and Algonquin highlands are all somewhat colder, so I'm sticking with generic 'Algonquin'! It would be nice to hear an ice thickness update, especially at the end of the weekend once the sun gets a little work done. Fingers still crossed.

 

4/19/2018 9:53 am  #169


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

nvm wrote:

I'm getting my best forecast looking at 'Algonquin.' Whitney, Huntsville and Algonquin highlands are all somewhat colder, so I'm sticking with generic 'Algonquin'! It would be nice to hear an ice thickness update, especially at the end of the weekend once the sun gets a little work done. Fingers still crossed.

As of yesterday from @natemuskoka on Instagram, Lake Opeongo was 23".

     Thread Starter
 

4/19/2018 10:03 am  #170


Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

23 " eh? 
If I were going to guess again it would be something around May 10-12 but it really is a fools game..

Almost a guarantee that I'm wrong though.. might even be later..if it were to be signifcantly earlier than that wouldnt that mean some decent flooding?

Last edited by ShawnD (4/19/2018 10:09 am)

 

Board footera