You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2018 5:29 pm  #1

Paddling across algonquin west to east

I no it is only febuary but i will sleep better at night if i new my plans. Looking to paddle across algonquin this spring maybe summer. West to east is what i was hoping and take in the factor i have no white water experience. I can take as long as i want. Any suggestions. Im looking to for a nice big trip this year.

YG2D

2/18/2018 8:13 pm  #2

Re: Paddling across algonquin west to east

Is there a specific reason for west to east direction?  Do you want a north of 60 route or south of 60? I have paddled from Galeairy to Oxtongue lake.  Pretty much followed  60 via the Madawaska  and Oxtongue rivers. Upstream on the Mad but isn't much of a current for most of it. Of course we did it in august so spring could be different.  You could also stay south of 60 at smoke and use the low maintenance  route toward park lake. There's a good stretch on the Madawaska without interior camping. However there's a few campground you could access along there too.  This route could be hustled in a couple Days or stretched out nice over a week. We enjoyed beers and a good meal at Canoe lake on our way through lol. Enjoy your planning.

2/18/2018 8:18 pm  #3

I recall that MartinG did this a couple of years ago. You could check with him for ideas.

2/18/2018 8:39 pm  #4

My Husband and I also went west to east across the park in 2015. We started at Mag and stayed on the following. Misty, Big Trout, Red Rock, Crow Bay, Little Dickson, North Branch and Green Leaf. That being said I would definitely take a few extra days if I was doing it again. There are lakes I paddled and have no real memory of oh and we forgot the camera.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure when going west to east you're pretty consistently going down hill. I don't remember having too much trouble with the low maintenance portages, nothing too horrible anyway. Even the 5k to Grand wasn't awful.

If you have the time I'd take and extra 2 or even 3 days, a rest day is always nice. Have fun and don't forget your camera.

2/19/2018 8:19 am  #5

That's a big adventure your planning there!
Are you going to do food drops or carry all of your food? I'm assuming you are thinking about taking 7+ days to complete this trip? If I was you I would probably do something similar to what you did last fall, but when you get to Big Trout go over to Happy Isle, Big Crow, Lavielle, Crow River-Petewawa River, then you can end your trip at Traverse. If you are adventurous you could run the Pet down to McManus - just be very careful. I've never done that section of the Pet but I know the whitewater can be deadly. You have no make absolute sure not to miss any portages, but I don't think there is much risk as long as you use all the portages (I could be wrong). 

2/19/2018 8:32 am  #6

Using Bob McElroys really cool Algonquin Trip Planner - http://mcelroy.ca/notes/algonquin_planner.html 

Magnetewan - Mcmanus
shortest route:   Total travelling distance is 157.6 km including 48 portages, totaling 33,340 m (avg: 694 m), with the longest being 3,565 m.

Magnetewan - Squirrel Rapids
shortest route:   Total travelling distance is 154.6 km including 37 portages, totaling 38,565 m (avg: 1042 m), with the longest being 5,470 m.

In 2013, I did the Magnetewan - Mcmanus route (I didn't have the benefit of that cool tool). I remember spending hours adding up all the portages along the different routes while trying to figure out which way to go. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/MartinGarster/Mag/

Awesome trip! Most the ports are downhill, paddling with the current, wind at your back! Only a couple of long portages. Anyone can cut 10 or more portages out of that route wading, lining, running. During the summer, it doesn't really matter if you have WW experience for the bottom of the Pet. Just be aware of where you are and take the portages. I have run the Pet in spring, summer and fall, and I think the lower Pet (below Cedar) is the most beautiful part of the park.

I also agree with ReadyIn-10. Take an extra day or two. A couple of groups crossed the park this year in 6 and 7 days. Seemed like more of a race than a trip. Another  huge factor to take into account is the shuttle. This could eat up 2 or 3 days of your vacation time.

Last edited by MartinG (2/19/2018 8:35 am)

2/19/2018 4:17 pm  #7

I was aiming towards the magnetewan to squirrel rapids. I beleove that takes me through the barron canyon wich id love to see and probably a good way to end my trip . Im doing this trip solo and im still a newbie to paddling. So the thought of hitting some rapids is not something i want to run into. Although ive seen some pictures and heard some great things about that part of the park maybe the safer bet would be out squirrel rapids. I can take my time , i figure i could do this comfortably in around 10-14 days. Im hoping to be single carrying but i also dont mind double carrying as i am still a newbie have lots of time and 2 weeks of food can be heavy and take up alot of space.

YG2D

2/20/2018 6:46 am  #8

That's a great trip, I did precisely the same trip with my brother a few years ago. Wind at your back on the big lakes, you get to a bunch of places most trippers don't see. You can find quite few trip reports here and on myCCR about the route.

But. 10-14 days worth of food onboard, solo "newbie" paddler, no ww experience? Are you sure it's a good idea as a solo trip? Maybe you'd be better off with a partner?

Matt

2/20/2018 8:41 am  #9

I did a handfull of solo trips last year one being a 9 day solo to red pine la muir area. No ww experience is why im avoiding the pet. Other then that its strong wind im hoping to avoid. The rest is just hard work getting to the other side.  Solo is the best way to go. I like it when i dont see anybody out there like my fall trip. But im thinking of doing the cross park trip in summer just in case something goes wrong there will be someone to assist around.

YG2D

2/20/2018 10:52 am  #10

ATVenture wrote:

That's a big adventure your planning there!
Are you going to do food drops or carry all of your food? I'm assuming you are thinking about taking 7+ days to complete this trip? If I was you I would probably do something similar to what you did last fall, but when you get to Big Trout go over to Happy Isle, Big Crow, Lavielle, Crow River-Petewawa River, then you can end your trip at Traverse. If you are adventurous you could run the Pet down to McManus - just be very careful. I've never done that section of the Pet but I know the whitewater can be deadly. You have no make absolute sure not to miss any portages, but I don't think there is much risk as long as you use all the portages (I could be wrong). 

I need to go bigger this year. May even move up there for the summer. Still debating options. Not sure if i will be single carrying i still havent been able to do that but we will see. Ive made some improvements to get the pack lighter. I might just avoid that part of the pet. Id rather have someone with me with experience for the white water parts.

YG2D

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.