You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2018 10:29 pm  #1

Smoke Lake to Louisa loop

Thinking of a Smoke Lake to Louisa Loop this spring ,Smoke>>>Big Porcupine>>> Louisa>>> Head>>>Tanamakoon>>>Smoke. My Question is most trip reports I have read have the travellers doubling back and returning through Big Porcupine , Ragged then Smoke . This being my first time through the area I was wondering why the the loop option isn't as popular ?

2/18/2018 7:21 am  #2

Re: Smoke Lake to Louisa loop

That's probably my favorite area to trip in the park, during the shoulder seasons when its not insanely busy anyways. 
Not sure why the loop isn't as popular, but its a great one and you shouldn't have any real issues even during low/high water. Give 'r and enjoy, I'll be fishing those lakes a fair at the beginning of May. 

2/18/2018 9:51 am  #3

ATVenture wrote:

That's probably my favorite area to trip in the park, during the shoulder seasons when its not insanely busy anyways. 
Not sure why the loop isn't as popular, but its a great one and you shouldn't have any real issues even during low/high water. Give 'r and enjoy, I'll be fishing those lakes a fair at the beginning of May. 

Thanks for your input ATVenture , the only thing I can come up with is the portage lengths. 

2/18/2018 9:51 am  #4

Spent 20+ years in the south end of the Park in the Springtime chasing Lake Trout and from looking at the Map the only thing I see is the total amount of Portages on your loop as opposed to turning around and coming back through B P  Ragged and Smoke.     We based camped on Bonnechere most years and made day trips to various lake in the area,     not sure if you plan on fishing or just paddling , camp , portage   etc. etc.    

2/19/2018 12:24 pm  #5

kenny wrote:

Spent 20+ years in the south end of the Park in the Springtime chasing Lake Trout and from looking at the Map the only thing I see is the total amount of Portages on your loop as opposed to turning around and coming back through B P  Ragged and Smoke.     We based camped on Bonnechere most years and made day trips to various lake in the area,     not sure if you plan on fishing or just paddling , camp , portage   etc. etc.    

Hey Kenny thanks for chiming in , I have heard a lot about the Bonnechere site on the south end of the lake and may check it out. I plan on moving everyday as fishing isn't my thing.

2/20/2018 2:08 pm  #6

R2, Stayed at that campsite for pretty much 10 years in a row, beautiful views and some protection from the wind and also lots of good spots back from camp to hang your food.    we ended up canoeing straight across to the mainland to find deadwood for our fires.    pretty slim picking around camp.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.