You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2018 11:57 pm  #1

Jeff's Maps - Concerns

I've been using Jeff's maps since Jeff McMurtrie started these.  Recently, 3 of us decided to update our cache of torn, beaten maps with new ones.  I personally ordered the 4 plus 1 deal from their website.  The payment came off of my Visa with the "hope you enjoy our maps", plus a friendly wink....  Wolf in a sheep's clothing.  

​Upon doing some research, I've learned that I'm not the only one recently fleeced. I was told I'd receive a tracking number (ya right).  Their phone number is a constant busy line, and several emails have not been returned.  Turns out several others have been ripped off. I encourage all others who have been duped to join me.

​I don't want to associate Jeff with this - as it has nothing to do with him.

​I'd like to hear others recent dealings with online orders...  Even their own Facebook page has posters saying it's a scam.

​This post is only here to protect anyone else from ordering direct.

​Feel free to email directly if you are not comfortable publicly conversing. 

​Mark

Last edited by Markus (2/11/2018 9:17 am)

2/11/2018 7:50 am  #2

Re: Jeff's Maps - Concerns

I placed an order on the 26th of Jan and have not received it.  I have sent multiple emails and tried to call....   no response. 

2/11/2018 9:41 am  #3

The current ads (two year duration) for "Jeff's Maps" will be expiring this March 15th. Having been contacted by a disgruntled customer, I reviewed FB postings of similar experiences. Given that Jeffrey is a friend of mine, that he's nolonger associated with "Jeff's Maps", that he has now joined-up with the "Unlostify" mapping enterprise, and that they will be producing an Algonquin Park map sometime in the not too distant future, I intend to start seriously promoting "Unlostify" starting mid-March.

Check out the Unlostify FB page at .. https://www.facebook.com/unlostify/  and their website at ..  http://unlostify.com/

2/11/2018 12:49 pm  #4

Thanks for the informative update Barry!  
​I will begin my battle with Visa and the old Mapping company to recuperate my funds and hopefully send them to Unlostify in March.  

If  anybody has any ideas how to get in contact with the 'guy' who has my money, feel free to email me. 

Last edited by BarryB (2/11/2018 1:13 pm)

2/11/2018 7:44 pm  #5

Sigh......

Yea, I've gotten more emails than I can count from people in your shoes

They've ordered, haven't gotten what they ordered, have had no luck getting in touch with the company, and then have reached out to me in a last ditch effort to get alternative contact info for the company or that sort of thing.

Unfortunately my advice takes the form of 'contact your credit card company'. Tell them you didn't receive the products that you've ordered and that the company will not respond to your calls/emails. They should then do a chargeback which will reverse the charge, and the company will be penalized.

As you might imagine, it feels pretty disgusting having my name plastered all over the company when this is how people are being treated

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

2/11/2018 7:56 pm  #6

Thanks Jeff for putting a response out there.  Most of us that have met and know you from the past understand it's not you.  

The sad part is, you would have responded to our emails and concerns way back when....  

​I already contacted my CC company.  They said on it's face, its an outright fraud, and will address it accordingly (ya sure they will)  I emailed the company that - oddly with no reply. 

We just want our friggin maps.  

​Thanks Jeff.  We all know it ain't you.  

Markus

Last edited by Markus (2/11/2018 7:58 pm)

2/11/2018 8:20 pm  #7

Sooner than later I'd expect that the company will lose it's ability to process credit cards. If I recall, you need to keep your chargebacks under 1%?

FYI, the company also gets dinged $20 or so for every chargeback (beyond the money that's taken and returned to you)

Eric just makes me shake my head....

2/11/2018 8:58 pm  #8

Jeff...  when do you think the Algonquin map will be released?  

Also, unlostify.com looks nice....  very clean, professional and brandable...   Good luck on your new adventure.

2/11/2018 9:00 pm  #9

Umm.. don't hold me to this, but hopefully mid-summer? I had been hoping for early June, but I think that's out the window now.

Thanks! I'm super excited!

It's awesome to be working on an Algonquin map again! That's what got me started with the maps, and is my favourite place to go, bar none! :D

2/11/2018 9:04 pm  #10

Just want to put my two cents there...  First I'm very excited for when Unlostify maps are available!!!

But also Jeff - Anyone who's had the pleasure of dealing with you know it's not you here...  Have no feeling of disgust - All the work you've put out there (and continue to) for fellow paddlers has been fantastic.  The above experiences certainly aren't a reflection of yourself =D=D

2/11/2018 9:16 pm  #11

Thanks for your kind words Ash!

It just sucks seeing people getting burned :\

2/11/2018 10:42 pm  #12

Terrible news about 'Jeff's Map'.
The last I heard Eric admitted to running the company very poorly and made a post about how he was going to try and resolve any issues, if I remember correctly this was probably last spring or summer? Its a real shame that it has resorted to this, especially with Jeff' name plastered all over it.
I am so excited to try the new Unlostify Maps this upcoming paddling season, they look great! Good job, Jeff! I honestly hope Jeff's map in unheard of in the near future, solely because of Eric. 

2/12/2018 10:01 am  #13

Ugh! What garbage business practices. I've been picking up all the Jeff's Maps I don't already have at actual retailers for the past year bc I knew Jeff was no longer there and I figured they wouldn't be available much longer. Glad I didn't go the online route. Now I'm super excited for Unlostify. 

Markus - This is one area where I'd actually trust your credit card company. They will gouge you everywhere but their fraud prevention is some of the best. I've had my card stolen a few times and the Visa Fraud Squad has always followed through. 

2/12/2018 11:21 am  #14

I have ordered a wall Map and three other maps from Jeff's Maps back when Jeff was running it and they all arrived as promised and I love my wall map that I mounted on foam core. I also got scammed by "Eric" and did not receive what I ordered after Jeff left. I saw other posts on facebook and figured he was in jail for fraud.  

To Jeff: 

As Markus said, I'm sad to see you were put into this position and that your hard work and amazing map were marred. Looking forward to seeing the new map!

Last edited by Lenny (2/12/2018 11:25 am)

2/12/2018 4:47 pm  #15

Thanks CanoeClaire.  They were good about it. I already started the process. We shall see.....

2/12/2018 10:42 pm  #16

ATVenture wrote:

Terrible news about 'Jeff's Map'.
The last I heard Eric admitted to running the company very poorly and made a post about how he was going to try and resolve any issues, if I remember correctly this was probably last spring or summer? 

Yea, he deleted that when it was ~85 comments long, a majority of which weren't very favourable...

Thanks for all the kind words guys . We plan on blowing you away with awesomeness when the time comes :D:D

2/13/2018 9:45 am  #17

I need a version of your new map I can put on my phone Jeff. And a wall map version too - time to replace this one, it's got too many pinholes in it!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.