You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2018 7:28 am  #1

Yukon Trip - Sources of Info

Hey all,

As some of you're aware from my recent posts I have been a backpacker for a number of years now, and each year myself and 2 close friends take a trip together.
We have been talking about a Yukon trip for a number of years now and we have finally decided that next year (2019) will be the year we do it.
We are mountain bikers, backpackers/hikers and to a lesser extent canoeists (I'm also a fisherman)...
This trip will be more about taking in as much as we can in the week or so that we'll be there, than it will about the hiking/canoeing aspect of our typical yearly trip.

I thought I might ask here first, maybe someone has been before that has a recommendation of something we should DEFINITELY do.
I also thought someone here might have a website or source that we should checkout for some things to check out.
We want to see as much as possible, both on the beaten trail and off.

So far the plan is to fly into Whitehorse, rent a car and make our way to Dawson City.
From there we want to take a trip on the Dempster Highway, probably to at least the Arctic Circle, if not, right to the end.  We would like to checkout Tombstone Territorial Park, possibly Kluane National Park.
We're thinking about making our way into Alaska, because, well we're right there... Why not?

We also can't decide whether we want to do this closer to the fall, or do it around the Summer Solstice (24hrs of light).

Any information provided is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

2/02/2018 9:19 am  #2

Re: Yukon Trip - Sources of Info

The general rule is to keep this forum strictly about Algonquin. If you haven't checked out MyCCR before, it wouldn't hurt to ask over there. While that is still mostly a canoeing site, they do have a Yukon section in their forums. 

A couple quick points because I can't resist (sorry Barry)

The drive from the Klondike Highway up the Dempster to the Arctic Circle is a good day in itself - 2 day round trip and you may need to carry extra gas to get to Eagle Plains and the only gas station. Since you're only planning a week, you won't have time to do most of what you listed. Flying into Whitehorse and driving to Dawson will get you lots of highlights though.

2/02/2018 12:37 pm  #3

PM sent

2/03/2018 3:37 pm  #4

RobW wrote:

The general rule is to keep this forum strictly about Algonquin. If you haven't checked out MyCCR before, it wouldn't hurt to ask over there. While that is still mostly a canoeing site, they do have a Yukon section in their forums.

Thanks RobW.
Feel free to remove topic or lock.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.