You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2018 10:21 am  #1

Best sites on Big porcupine

It will be my first time on this lake and was wondering if any of you have a favourite site you like to stay on. one ideally with afternoon sun. We will be heading down early at the end of may. Also, are there any good day trips from the lake?

1/30/2018 10:35 am  #2

Re: Best sites on Big porcupine

I like the site to the left of the portage to Bonnechere if you're looking at it from the lake.  It's big, flat and elevated.  Flat rocks down by the water good for sun bathing.  Easy day trip into Little Coon or even Whatnot if you don't mind doing the Double Devil's Staircase which isn't as bad as it sounds.  My dad did it with a canoe a couple of years ago and was 70 then.   If you wanted a longer day trip you could do a loop in the same direction and head into McGarvey and then to Bonnechere and back to Big Porc.

Big Porcupine site near Bonnechere portage.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

2/01/2018 10:59 am  #3

Yea I read your trip log, It looked like it was a good one. How close is that site to the portage? It's my first time heading south so I am unfamiliar with this lakes traffic flow. Bonnechere is on the list for sure but I am also curious about Mt.Manitou. I see it is relatively close to the portage. how difficult is it to get there? is the view worth it/hard to get to?

2/01/2018 11:47 am  #4

The site is close to the portage but you can't see the portage from the site or hear people coming and going.  An easy bushwhack through the back of the site will bring you on to the trail but you don't have to worry about seeing people portaging from the site.  I've never been to Manitou Mtn.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

2/18/2018 9:54 am  #5

You will also get great afternoon Sun from this site left of the Portage,    and a Big Chunk of Ice at the Bottom of B P  that you can chip off to keep drinks and food cold.     might not be there late May,  always there first of May.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.