You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2015 12:56 pm  #1

Double blade canoe paddles

I've been looking at DB paddles recently now that I've bought a solo boat and these seem to be quite reasonably priced. Does anyone have any experience with Mohawk paddles. 

http://www.mohawkpaddle.com/mohawk_canoe_paddles.aspx

Also, any other specific suggestions are most welcome.

Dave

9/21/2015 1:00 pm  #2

Re: Double blade canoe paddles

ya get what ya pay for.

9/21/2015 2:59 pm  #3

Never used a Mohawk but I have read good things.." good for the money" essentially

And  FYI I was at Swift in Gravenhurst on Fri. they have 20% off their Werner paddles.

I currently have a Bending Branches 280 cm Solo Canoe paddle. Which is a little heavy hence the looking and is maybe a little long for my solo boat but not much .. works very well in the stern from my tandem when needed too.

In a solo boat I personally wouldn't use anything shorter than 250- 260. I just don't get wet with my current blade which I know is many peoples main complaint with double blades. 

I have used as short as a 230cm which I felt was way too short.

There are definately many different opinions on the right size so I would try some out first. 

If I were buying a new one right now and trying to keep the cost at least reasonable while still getting a quality blade I would likely get a Foxworx K3 around 260-270 cms.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/23/2015 11:25 pm  #4

Thanks for your replies, Guys. 

Shawn, didn't you just buy that paddle? I remember you posting about it. Nice looking paddle.

I agree the better blades cost more and I am not averse to spending that sort of coin but I certainly want to be sure what I want in a paddle before I do that.

I think I'll rent a paddle initially. Try a few different options and see what seems to work best for me. For this first trip next week I have borrowed my brother's kayak paddle which, at 223cm, I suspect will be a little short of optimal but it will serve as a basis for comparison going forward. I'm planning just a short trip this first time out. Maybe up to Daisy and daytrip from there. Stay off the big lakes at first. I'll have to acclimatize the dog to the new boat - suspect it may be a bit of an adjustment for her.

Weather forecast is looking promising!

Dave

Dave

9/24/2015 5:19 am  #5

So is a double bladed canoe paddle the same as a kayak paddle.  Except maybe a little longer?

9/24/2015 5:20 am  #6

ShawnD, don't you find that length of paddle cumbersome on small Algonquin rivers?  I use a 210 cm high angle Werner and think it's perfect for Algonquin trips, which seems to differ from almost everyone else.  It's wet, but feels right, more like paddling with a single blade.

On Georgian Bay yesterday, I commented to my wife that I may switch to a longer low angle paddle for big lake trips only, where the extra leverage will be appreciated.

9/24/2015 6:24 am  #7

Yes Russ same thing. Usually just longer but as Shawn posts some prefer shorter. Go with whatever works I say!

I did a lot of reading before I bought and essentially this page I would say now sums up my opinion on it.

http://www.foxworxpaddle.com/using_double_blade_in_a_canoe.html

Tripper yes bought this year been on about 6 or so trips with it so far. Initially bought to use in the stern or middle seat solo in my mattawa but  I also picked up a used pack boat this year and have been using it with it as well.

Perfect size for the tandem boat. Maybe a little long for the pack. I will likely pick up a 260 or so lighter paddle for the pack. No emergency though my current one works just fine.

Like I said 2 biggest complaints I read about from people who don't like them were, they get really wet and they keep knocking the gunwales with it so not fun to use. Both of which say the paddle is too short. I'm bone dry at the end of a paddle.

Shawn yes in tight quarters it can be a struggle but I doubt a paddle 4-6 inches shorter on either side would solve that. That is going to be a problem with a double blade period I suspect. If it's really tight I just quickly snap it apart and use as a single blade.  Have also thought about bringing my daughter's 50 inch paddle to use in those situations.

Last edited by ShawnD (9/24/2015 6:36 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

9/24/2015 7:41 am  #8

Yep, I have a 52" straight that I use in tight quarters as well, but in tight quarters when travelling upstream, I find the high angle paddle invaluable so I can keep it tight to the boat, similar to a straight blade, and often use correction strokes, draws, etc. so I prefer a short paddle.

9/24/2015 8:00 am  #9

There is paddling technique that is often ignored. People that get wet or bang the gunwales usually bring the paddle way too far back and hence travel in a series of mini yaws.  Longer paddles just make that tendency worse.  You can avoid that by paddling well cab forward.. ending the stroke before your hips.
Using torso rotation with almost straight arms and using a push on one side while pulling on the other side.

if you  like a high angle stroke or static draws and pries yep wetness is a fact.  A spray cover helps.

9/24/2015 11:11 am  #10

Kayamedic
I tend to do just what you say. When I'm in cruising mode I tend to take long strokes forward and back. I don't normally get wet unless my drip rings are in the wrong spot. When I do high angle strokes you almost always get wet.  I did read or see somewhere about the proper length of your stroke and it's efficiancy.  I thought they showed to stop at your torso as you said.  I have not tested it to see which of my strokes works best for me.
In my narrow boat I don't bang the paddle very often. In a wider boat it happens more. But my favorite is my narrow one. My paddle lengths are 220-230cm

I forgot to mention this is in my Kayak not a canoe. 

Last edited by Russ S (9/24/2015 7:05 pm)

9/24/2015 6:42 pm  #11

For my solo canoe, I picked up a 260cm Werner Kalliste two piece carbon paddle. It was a custom order, but I got it on sale. Had I had the option of going longer, I probably would have. It was definitely worth the extra cost. With a canoe, you sit quite a bit higher and have quite a bit more width to cover than a kayak, and this requires a longer paddle. With a shorter paddle, you have a higher angle of attack which is less comfortable for longer distances, and tends to result in more water dripping into the boat, especially when there's a wind. I tried some longer fiberglass paddles (Slice Glass Solo in 260 and 280cm which is marketed for solo canoes), and noticed two problems. First, there was quite a bit of flex in the shaft (the paddle almost vibrated), and second the paddle was unbalanced (the weight seemed concentrated on the blades). The carbon paddle is very light, quite rigid, and feels very balanced. Your best bet is to find a place where you can try a few out. I was able to demo a shorter, broken Kalliste and I was instantly sold.

Regards,
Dave

9/24/2015 7:43 pm  #12

http://youtu.be/iMkkowXD8hA

Still not convinced on the longer paddle.

10/05/2015 10:22 am  #13

Speaking about double blades..

Wonder if any one has ever tried using a paddle clip on a canoe?

To hold the padldle while fishing etc.. if it would hold it in place on a portage?

Something like these? Made for kayaks but wonder how they would work on a pack canoe?

10/05/2015 11:35 am  #14

Nah its plastic and you can knock that paddle right off.

Why not simply use a Bungee dealee Bob thingy or something similar.

http://www.oldscoutoutdoorproducts.com/about.html

Last edited by kayamedic (10/05/2015 11:35 am)

10/05/2015 11:45 am  #15

Those look good as a tie down for portaging but it was more about a place to  quickly secure out of the way when on the water. If I need both my hands free bringing in a massive trout. 

Last edited by ShawnD (10/05/2015 12:07 pm)

10/05/2015 11:49 am  #16

is there such a thing as a extenstion piece to connect to a kayak paddle in the middle of the staff to make it longer,, 220 cen to 240 cen for example. i could not find anything on my web search?

10/05/2015 12:45 pm  #17

The Mohawk paddle that I initially inquired about does offer extensions as an accessory. I don't know if they are usable with other brands or not.

http://www.mohawkpaddle.com/12_Inch_24_Inch_Extension_details.aspx

Dave

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.