You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2015 12:15 pm  #1

Enter the AA Trip Log Contest

With summer coming to an end and fall colours on our mind it may be time to think about entering the Algonquin Adventures Trip Log contest.  With $750 worth of prizes up for grabs in 5 zones (areas of the park) and only 3 entries thus far in the contest chances of winning are pretty good.  (10 prizes, but only  3 entries)

So gather your trip notes and photos and sit down for an hours some evening and enter the contest at
http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/TripLogsIndex.htm

While we're on the topic of contests, Algonquin Outfitters is also hosting a photo contest featuring the outdoor things you like to do in Algonquin Park, Haliburton Highlands and Muskoka, check it out at http://algonquinoutfitters.com/contests/photo-contest-2015/

10/14/2015 11:11 am  #2

Re: Enter the AA Trip Log Contest

The fall is well upon us. With just over six weeks left until the contest cut-off, now is the time to get your trip-log(s) submitted to the Algonquin Adventures Trip Log Contest.  $750 worth of prizes are up for grabs in 5 park-geographic zones. And so far, there are only four entries! Check out the details at .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/TripLogsIndex.htm

10/14/2015 12:18 pm  #3

It's hard to believe there's only 4 entries in this great fun contest with 10 prizes!

10/14/2015 12:33 pm  #4

Maybe people mis-read the cut-off date as December the 31st!  No it's December the 1st !!!!

10/14/2015 12:49 pm  #5

I don't blame them for not putting together a trip report yet, too busy out enjoying the season, but now that summers over and (apprently there's snow in the forecast) it's a good time to sit down and work on your summer trip reports for the contest.  Also a great way to reflect on the summer trips and think about planning for next year.   http://algonquinoutfitters.com/canoe-trips/planning-a-canoe-trip/

10/15/2015 6:00 am  #6

An inquiry just came in regarding sending more than one entry in a single 'geographic category'. So, I've added the following clarification to the contest page at .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/tlfr5000.html .. Clarification (October 15th): Should anyone send multiple entries in the same 'geographic category', the entry with the earlier email date will be considered to be their entry in that category.

10/15/2015 8:38 am  #7

Maaaaaybe the amount of entries are low because of the complexity of the contest. I tired to enter a trip report but was told basically everything was wrong. Text was wrong, fromat was wrong, picture size/format was wrong. I'm assuming with all the stipulatuions that first prize is a Muskoka cottage or maybe it's a million $'s IDK. Maaaaaybe light'n up on the rules and just accept peoples submissions and see what response there is. Just an idea. 

10/15/2015 9:05 am  #8

VeggiesRule wrote:

... I tired to enter a trip report but was told basically everything was wrong. Text was wrong, fromat was wrong, picture size/format was wrong. I'm assuming with all the stipulatuions that first prize is a Muskoka cottage or maybe it's a million $'s IDK ...

I have no record of any such submission to the contest. So far, the only problematic situation was one with blurry low-res phone photos (approx.380x210 pixels), which the submitter subsequently conceded were "absolutely horrible" and concluded that "I'll try and get my act together for next year."

The contest entry details and requirements are laid out at .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/tlfr5000.html

The text and photo requirements are structured to result in similar 'formats' between entries .. allowing the story-telling content and photo content to be judged on a consistent baseline.

Perhaps you entered a different contest?

11/11/2015 9:11 am  #9

LESS than three weeks to get entries into the contest!

11/17/2015 12:55 pm  #10

Only two weeks to go, to enter the Algonquin Adventures Trip Log Contest. Cut-off is midnight of December 1st. And so far there have only been five entries!!!
The contest entry details and requirements are at .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/tlfr5000.html

And while I'm at it, there are only two weeks to go to enter the Algonquin Outfitters 2015 Photo Contest . Details at .. https://a.pgtb.me/0gNVR9

11/23/2015 10:53 am  #11

Just one week to go for entries! Just received an entry from Marko Mrkobrada.

Here are the entries so far ...

Category 1 – WEST ZONE - 1 Kawawaymog Lake, 2 Tim River, 3 Magnetawan Lake, 4 Rain Lake, 29 Kioshkokwi Lake (Kiosk)
By Shawn O'Reilly, out of Tim River, May 2015, (rec'd: July 14th, 2015).
By Wanda Spruyt, out of Tim River, September 2015, (rec'd: Sept. 23rd, 2015).

Category 3 – EAST ZONE - 17 Shall Lake, 18 Aylen Lake, 19 Basin Lake, 20 Mallard Lake (Sec), 21 McManus Lake, 22 Grand Lake (Achray)
By Craig White, out of Sec Lake, August 2015, (rec'd: October 29th, 2015).

Category 4 – SOUTH ZONE - 13 Galeairy Lake (Whitney), 14 Hollow River – Dividing Lake, 15 Kingscote Lake, 16 Haye Lake
By Marko Mrkobrada, out of Dividing Lake, September 2015, (rec'd: November 23rd, 2015).

Category 5 – MIDDLE ZONE - 5 Canoe Lake, 6 Smoke Lake, 7 Source Lake, 8 Cache Lake, 9 Rock Lake, 10 Sunday Creek (+ Sunday L.), 11 Opeongo Lake, 12 Pinetree Lake
By Cobi Erin Sharpe, out of Opeongo Lake, June 2015, (rec'd July 14th, 2015).
By Cam Penman, out of Opeongo Lake - August 2015, (rec'd August 20th, 2015).

11/24/2015 6:32 am  #12

Has there been any thought to spreading the word about this contest via Facebook?  I belong to 2 Algonquin Facebook pages that are quite active.  Also, including an entry for Backpackers would be nice.  I've done 4 (each 2-3 nights) trips this year on the backpacking trails and would easily do up a report with pictures.  The backpacking section of this forum is also lacking in content, and this would be a great way to get more trip reports added.  Just my two cents.

11/24/2015 9:46 am  #13

With only a week left for entries, it's a bit late to promote the contest on other websites.

In the past I found that promoting AA activities on other sites irked some people, so I refrain from doing so. However, if forum readers want to mention AA on other sites, definitely feel free.

If there are sufficient 'prize-resources' left over after this contest, I'll definitely consider a backpacking trip-log contest for next year.

11/24/2015 12:51 pm  #14

How about a winter camping trip log contest? Asking for a friend. :D

Cheers,
Marko

11/24/2015 1:03 pm  #15

After the current contest closes, I'll be able to determine how much 'prize-resource' can be allocated to any 2016 contest(s). I'll keep in mind both suggestions .. of winter camping and of backpacking.

Marko, regarding winter camping .. do you envision winter camping as typically a 'trip' endeavor or a 'basecamp' affair? Comments from others are welcome too.

11/24/2015 1:48 pm  #16

Well, the eighth entry just rolled-in. Now all five geographic categories are represented. Most of those 'prize resources' are being tried for. But hopefully prizes won't be won without competition. Good luck to all entrants!

11/24/2015 3:19 pm  #17

Don't worry, my entry or entries are still coming

I would imagine that if the paddling trip log contest becomes an annual thing, participation will gradually increase over time, that tends to be the way these things go. But if you wanted to create a second contest, might make sense to group all sorts of non-paddling-type trips (eg. backpacking, winter, frontcountry) into one contest, at least for the first go? Though I suppose if there are multiple prizes available, each of those could be a category, in the way the paddling trip log contest uses geographic categories.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.