You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2017 12:23 pm  #1

When to replace your life jacket?

How do you know when to replace your life jacket?

I've had mine for about 10 years and it appears to be in good condition. No visible damage and I can still read all the printed information inside the back. 

It's still comfortable to wear and if it were any other piece of gear, I wouldn't even be thinking about a replacement with the way it functions for me day-to-day.

But, it's a life jacket and it's 10 years old. Do these things have expiration dates? What's the best practice?

11/13/2017 1:04 pm  #2

Re: When to replace your life jacket?

Jump in the lake see if it floats you adequately. The closed cell foam does deteriorate over time but there are too many variables to really put a date on it.

11/13/2017 2:14 pm  #3

Re: When to replace your life jacket?

While an old jacket may keep you afloat initially, if the flotation material is degraded, it will slowly absorb water and after a while you'll find you're floating lower in the water than when you first went in.

Likewise, after having "floated-around" for a while, if the flotation material has "taken-on" water .. you'll notice the jacket is noticeably heavy, "squishy" and slow to dry off!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.