You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2017 1:39 pm  #1

Cache, Madawaska to Head Lake

Planning to go on a short two-nighter this week. Was looking at going into Head Lake via the Madawaska. I've been to Head while doing the HBT but not by canoe. 
Can't seem to find much on this route other than a couple of campsite descriptions on the PCI site. Can anyone tell me what the Madawaska is like and suggest what sites I should be considering or avoiding?

Dave

Dave

10/23/2017 1:47 pm  #2

Re: Cache, Madawaska to Head Lake

Head Lake is a very nice lake to camp on. The most popular canoe site is the one near the waterfall (#4 on PCI), but I'd say the nicest site itself (views, tenting areas, firepit, etc) is #1 but this site can also be accessed via the HBT. Site #5 had the biggest pile of firewood I've ever seen in the interior a couple of weeks ago when I was there, so you never know? That site is alright, no sunset though.
I can't comment on the Madawaska though, but the only times I remember reading about it everyone said they regretted that route (lots of liftovers and low water?)
I was thinking about tackling the loop down through Head, Harness, Pardee, then back up through Bonnechere, South Canisbay, Delano, Hilliard in the next couple of weeks, probably in two nights. Looks like a windy week coming up though, so I think I'll be backpacking.

Last edited by ATVenture (10/23/2017 1:48 pm)

10/23/2017 2:43 pm  #3

I did that trip in October 2014 and it was a blast. No water level concerns and only one lift over to speak of. On the way in you can make a slight detour and climb up Skymount. We made it a full loop and came out via the 1600m portage.

10/23/2017 4:51 pm  #4

I did that route maybe 5 years ago and there were tons of liftovers on the Madawaska. I've done the alternative 1.6km so many times in the past few years though (9 times just this summer thanks to solo double carries), and it's a pretty flat and easy portage... it's just less exciting than the river travelling.

The 2 nicest sites on Head Lake in my opinion are the waterfall (#4) and the one just beside the 1.6km portage (#5). Some of the other sites aren't bad, but you'll probably have the lake to yourself at this time of year so I'd stick to one of those two sites. #1 as ATV mentioned above is nice, but it would probably be my third choice.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

10/24/2017 10:48 am  #5

We paddled the Madawaska as part of a meanest link leg from Opeongo to Oxtongue lake in July this year. I don't recall allot of lift overs in the stretch from Cache toward Head Cr, just the two portage. I've never paddled the head Cr.  section so can't speak to that.  As for sites on Head lake the penninsula site on the west looked cool but haven't stayed there. I have camped by the falls from Kenneth. That site was pretty cool.the site to the east of the 1640 across from the backpacking site is pretty crappy. The 1640 from Head back to Cache was a piece of cake as portaging goes. I remember it being relatively flat for the most part and we'll traveled. I would portage out the last day vs  paddling the inbound route in reverse.

Last edited by Shayne74 (10/24/2017 10:54 am)

10/24/2017 9:44 pm  #6

Thanks, All. Great info
I also found a couple of trip reports online so I think I'm set. Heading out tomorrow, returning Friday.

Dave

10/30/2017 2:34 pm  #7

So how was your trip?

10/30/2017 8:52 pm  #8

Weather wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be - overcast and breezy - but at least the rain held off other than a few light showers. Actually changed the route at the last minute as I was running late and the weather was threatening. Ended up camping on the island site on Tanamakoon. A nice R&R trip with a good book.

Did you make it in?

Dave

10/31/2017 7:13 am  #9

Algonquintripper wrote:

Weather wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be - overcast and breezy - but at least the rain held off other than a few light showers. Actually changed the route at the last minute as I was running late and the weather was threatening. Ended up camping on the island site on Tanamakoon. A nice R&R trip with a good book.

Did you make it in?

I headed down to Highway 60 on Wednesday and the weather was too bad in the morning for my liking (very windy and rainy). I did a few hikes and took some photos, decided to hold off on paddling for at least another day. I headed home (North Bay) from the park around noon, I watched for you on the Highway but didn't see a single other vehicle with a canoe. Shortly after leaving Huntsville I do remember the sky slearing up and the sun coming out, and asking myself if I made a big mistake by turning around.
I then left home Thursday morning and headed for Achray as the weather forecast was looking much better for the East end vs. West. I explored around Lake Travers on foot, checked out some hiking trails in the area and camped on Sec Lake. Then Friday morning I hiked a good chunk of the Eastern Pines trail including High Falls for my first time which was pretty amazing. I'm thinking about backpacking the trail this week sometime.
Were they still travelling to and from the camp regularly by motor boat? I camped there in the middle of Nov. last year and still had to listen to steady motor boat traffic.
Cheers,
Drew

Last edited by ATVenture (10/31/2017 7:15 am)

10/31/2017 9:17 am  #10

There were a couple of guys doing some maintenance there. No noise to speak of - heard a hammer once for a moment - and the boat seemed to be just an in-and-out thing every day. Also heard the odd truck on the 60 but that stuff doesn't bother me.

I hemmed and hawed beforehand as to whether I should backpack or canoe. Given the overcast weather I'd probably go into Maggie Lake if I had it to do over but it's all good. I've put the Madawaska on the list for next year.

I actually have a few days booked off in late November so I might do a loop on the WUT if the weather looks alright. I'll have to run it by She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, of course.  

Dave

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.