You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2017 10:26 pm  #1

Reflector Oven?

After putting together our meal plan for an upcoming trip I realized I need to mix things up a bit and add some variety to our cooking options...Just wondering if anyone has any insight or opinions on the use of reflector ovens for use in either the back country or car camping situations?  I kind of like the idea of being able to cook up a lasagna or pizza, etc.  I do have an Outback Oven that I use a fair bit however I find it kind of limits you to things you can cook in that 10 inch frying pan...I think the reflector oven might offer some different options?

10/15/2017 9:18 am  #2

Re: Reflector Oven?

Hi Steve,

Sorry, can't help with the reflector oven, but maybe the following tips help for more use of the outback oven. If you're looking to use it to make bread, pizza, lasagna etc you definitly can. Make a lasagna in a 10 " foil pie plate at home. Freeze it. Put  pie plate in outback oven to reheat . Set oven on the side of a campfire, on rack over coals, use lid, use cover overtop and temper plate underneath.Works like a charm. You can also buy pills bury pizza dough for pizza bottoms, or Superstore sells ready to bake pizza bottoms 6" in packs of  6 in the bread section. Add what you like, set outback oven on rack over the coals, lid in place and cover over top, temper plate underneath and you're all set.

10/15/2017 9:36 am  #3

Hi Steve! 

I've got 3 kids and we go on week+ expeditions, so the baking has been key over the last few years. Tried many systems:

1. Outback Oven (http://www.backpackingchef.com/outback-oven.html)
2. Dry baking by Pine Martyn (http://www.trailspace.com/forums/camp-kitchen/topics/142872.html)
3. Fry-bake (https://frybake.com/)
4. Reflector Oven (https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/reflector-oven-by-svante-freden.html)

Out of all these, I use the reflector oven every time. Thoughts: 

1) Outback Oven
Advantages:
- light, does not require a campfire.
Disadvantages
- size limit (and particularly the height limit) - rising dough may come into contact with the reflector shield
- requires a DragonFly stove 
- weird artificial smell from the reflector shield (I could not get rid of it after 2 years of use)
- does not bake well from the top or in the middle, definitely no crust. 

It was the last reason I stopped using the Outback Oven. 

2) Dry baking
Advantages: 
- Does not require a campfire.
- any stove is fine
Disadvantages
- requires two pots with fairly specific size requirements (outside pot has to be pretty big, and with a tight lid)
- pot damage. you are putting a dry pot over a flame for 30 min. 
- no crust, again does not bake all that well in the middle unless it's really hot. 

Although Pine Martyn mastered the technique, I almost destroyed the outside pot, warping it to the point where the lid wouldn't fit well any more. One variation is steam baking (with a bit of water on the bottom of the pot), but then you really get to crust and it does not bake well in the middle. 

3) Fry Bake
Advantages: 
- light
- can use on stove, or over coals (coals is much better)
Disadvantages
- the pot is not tall at all - dough can't rise too much
- best results require coals - takes a long time to get a good coal bed
- you need a twig fire on top of the lid - requires a lot of attention

Ultimately, it was very difficult to regulate the heat well enough to avoid burning the outside while baking the middle. 

4) Reflector oven
Advantages: 
- excellent baking results
- use in front of open flame - no need to wait for coals
- variety of baking vessels: Primus 3L Camptife pot; MSR Alpine 2L pot lid
- can use with Alaskan KniCo stove for winter camping (!)
Disadvantages
- a bit heavy (~700g)
- somewhat sharp edges when folded (has not been an issue in my MEC Slogg 110L)
- needs a flat surface in front of fire to bake (you will likely need to rearrange the fireplace). 

The baking is just spectacular. The key is having a fire that's as tall as the oven, and placing it at the right distance from the fire (where you can just stand the heat for 5 seconds with your bare hand). I've baked with the 3L primus pot, but right now my favourite is to use a pot lid (I use the lid from the 1.9L Evernew titanium pot). 

Tips: 
- don't use silicone baking pans (like in picture below). They will melt and burn if too close to the fire
- pre-heat the baking pan in the oven while making the mix. then coat with butter for beautiful non-stick results
- turn around after ~15 minutes
- egg powder is great for baking
- winter camping: I crimped down the top edge of the oven, so that it hooks like the water tank/shelf on the side of the stove. it's perfect! 

Baking ideas:
- quick-rise pizza yeast for bread and pizza. 1 pack makes 2 pizzas (Fleischmann pizza yeast)
- Duncan Hines baking mixes (1/2 mix per cake)
- Shepherd's Pie

Lemme know if you have any questions - I've done a lot of experimentation :D, or if you're in London, happy to lend out the reflector or the FryBake. 

Cheers!
Marko

Primus 3L pot below (I tested this in my fireplace to see the max size). Note the rig I used to keep the reflector oven level. 

Pizza on the pot lid

Look at that beautiful crust and the dough that's cooked throughout (no burning!)

3 small silicone loafs fit if you trim the top edges (but I don't use silicone anymore - it will melt if too close)

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (10/15/2017 9:40 am)

10/15/2017 10:57 am  #4

Thanks for the replies guys!  Marko that is a super detailed response so I thank you for that!  Just a quick follow up question...
1.  What's the largest size you can fit in that reflector oven?  I like making pizzas and often do so in my Outback Oven.  The only thing is that I can only make 1 at a time due to the size of the pan.  I'd also like to be able to cook some pre-bought lasagna's or casseroles.  What size rectangular pans would fit in it?

Thanks again!  That pizza looks amazing by the way

Last edited by Steve E (10/15/2017 11:01 am)

10/15/2017 1:33 pm  #5

Thanks 

Just measured. The largest size would be a 9" square. Any larger, and it would tip forward too easily. The rectangular lid in pic below is 8.5". In my experience, you can feed 2 hungry campers with the reflector oven (probably 3 with the 9" square lasagna).

Actually, that reminds me of another disadvantage of the reflector - it can tip forward if not careful. I usually set mine so it's a bit reclined. When you lift it by the handle it's not an issue, as it tilts back when lifted by the handle. 

Obviously I have time today, so here's the winter set-up. It works very well. 

Here's how I crimped it so it stays attached:

10/15/2017 1:54 pm  #6

That's brilliant with the crimping of the ends for the Kni-Co!  Thanks for taking the time to set that up and send a few pics...that really helps!  Any other menu ideas that you've had success with?

How long would it take you roughly to cook up a pizza like that?

And have you ever tried it at a car campsite where they have the metal fire rings?  Is it possible to use it with those?

Last edited by Steve E (10/15/2017 2:10 pm)

10/15/2017 3:34 pm  #7

For the pizza: that one was around 25 minutes (the crust was way too thick, should have done two pizzas from the one yeast packet). With half the dough, it's around 15-20 (at home it's about 10 minutes at 475F)

We usually bake the night before, that way breakfast is really quick (and delicious). The cake mixes and quick bread mixes are awesome. In particular
- Duncan Hines Carrot Cake
- Duncan Hines Apple Caramel
- Betty Crocker banana quick bread
- Betty Crocker marble quick bread

For car camping fire rings, you have to build a platform from wood or rock on the front of the ring, then rest the reflector on it. It's totally doable and fine. Did it at the Kawartha PP this year, it was great. 

Cheers!
Marko

10/15/2017 6:02 pm  #8

Sounds amazing!  Thanks again for the insight

10/15/2017 6:49 pm  #9

If I run into you in the backcountry, I expect a slice of freshly baked pie 
M

10/15/2017 7:00 pm  #10

Deal!

10/16/2017 6:33 am  #11

We use a reflector oven, but have yet to master it. I find temp control hard sometimes. The oven reflects heat, but doesn't actually retain heat so you have to get good at making a consistent fire. We have had great results though. Mostly cinnamon buns, bread, cake/brownies and baked potatoes.

We also use a Dutch oven, which we find easier, because it retains heat. However it's con is that you can easily end up with burnt bottoms. The key is to go slow.

10/16/2017 7:28 am  #12

Regarding the heat control for the reflector oven, there are two things that will help:

1. A fireplace that is about the width of the reflector oven. I end up renovating a lot of fire pits as they are generally too large. The best is 3-sided and fairly small. I think it helps because the rocks reflect heat as well and help with maintenance of a consistent temp.

2. A relatively tall fire, about 2 or 3" higher than the top of the reflector.

M

10/16/2017 8:33 am  #13

I got a reflector oven at the start of this year and love it! To answer some questions:

I've used it in the metal fire rings at car camp sites (or in Kawartha for example) without issue. I build a small fire in the back corner of the ring and put the oven right inside the ring with it. 

With any fire set up, you will need a piece of wood or rock on the bottom at the back to have it balanced and level. I've never had trouble finding something that works. Sometimes I also put a rock inside on the bottom to keep it balanced and secure.

If you are using it inside a fire ring, things cook FAST! A muffin recipe will be done in 10 mins as opposed to 30. When using in the backcountry and it's not as close to the fire, it will take a more reasonable amount of time. I think the distance from the fire is one of the best ways to control the temp. 

I do find that I need to turn the pans in the oven once half way through to get even cooking.

I use silicone baking trays like in Marko's post. I've never had an experience with them melting. But, they can sometime be hard to clean and I have had critters take a bite out of them before. They now get hung with the food bag.

It's such a treat to have fresh baking on a trip. It's a bit heavy but it packs nice and flat and slides into the back of your pack nicely. 

10/16/2017 11:55 am  #14

I think you guys have sold me on one of these!  Thanks for the replies

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.