You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/02/2017 1:13 pm  #1

Shirley Lake - Site 3 question

Anyone stayed on this site recently? I'm curious as to whether the nearby logging camp is a distraction. From the write up on the PCL it looks like a pretty nice site, but I'd hate to have a bunch of truck/logging noise in the background.

10/02/2017 1:52 pm  #2

Re: Shirley Lake - Site 3 question

check out the p. c. i.  tab, click on it from the  home page. 
    check out the a.f.a. link for logging work regions this fall. or phone the park?

Last edited by swedish pimple (10/02/2017 1:56 pm)

10/03/2017 6:05 am  #3

You'll probably hear logging trucks hauling on the road since it's one of the more heavily-used routes in the park. Maybe even skidder noise since there's fall cutting scheduled near the north end of Shirley. Cutting and hauling activity in the park increases after the Labor Day weekend, once the main tripping season is over and fewer trippers to disturb.

Skidder noise especially can be constant, so active cutting areas marked for fall operations on the AFA work schedule won't be too peaceful during the day..  You'll see on the map that the Shirley Lake road provides access to a large area of the park's forests so there most likely will be ongoing noise from hauling further away as well, although not as bad as skidders.

Last time I looked at the map, there were some areas where things should be quiet during the fall... good luck.

10/04/2017 9:50 pm  #4

Hi Lakes,

I was on Shirley in mid-August.  Quiet on the weekend, but on Monday morning the big trucks were hauling.  Was not awesome.  Beautiful lake otherwise!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.