You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2017 3:34 pm  #1

Cache to Bonnechere via Hilliard, Delano, Kingfisher etc..?

I want to leave in the morning for a quick 2 night solo trip with my pup. Thinking about going down from Cache through Hilliard, Delano, South Canisbay etc.. I have only done the Head/Harness route but I want to do something different this time. I think I read somewhere that this route can be very muddy, and can take longer than expected? I can't remember where though.. I'm hoping to camp on either the south end of Bonnechere or McGarvey tomorrow night, then on Monday I'll go up through Louisa and probably camp on Pardee, then I'll head back to Cache through Harness/Head which I have done many times in the past. 

Thanks!

Option #2 is the Kiosk/Big Thunder loop.

10/01/2017 6:43 am  #2

Re: Cache to Bonnechere via Hilliard, Delano, Kingfisher etc..?

I went down that way last year and didn't love it. It was mid June, so bugs were in turbo mode. The portages are kind of a pain that way, I remember a couple of moderately difficult ones thanks to soft ground and elevation. The only really muddy part was the put in on South Canisbay.

All that being said, I've seen a couple of positive posts about that route, so it might have just caught me on a bad day. You won't have to deal with the bugs at least!

Enjoy, hope you have a great trip no matter where you go.

(Here's my post on that loop: https://allofalgonquin.com/2016/07/04/cache-lake-loop/ )

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (10/01/2017 6:45 am)

10/01/2017 4:55 pm  #3

Thanks for the reply! So I shouldn't be too concerned then I guess.
Anyone else been through this year? Im on Pardee right now (with cell service).

10/01/2017 5:13 pm  #4

I met a group in late August when I was camping on Pardee; they had travelled that section from Delano (or maybe Hilliard) down to Phipps in one day. IIRC they did mention it was pretty muddy, but not too terrible overall. It was a couple with their dog. Not much help I know, but it's something lol

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

10/01/2017 6:52 pm  #5

Hey Trippy things I just read your entry in the Pardee guestbook. ;-)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.