You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/27/2017 3:24 pm  #1

Major Lake Rd Hwy 60 to Achray

Looking on Google it shows Major Lake Road as a drivable route from Hwy 60 Achray.  I was shocked to see this road as an option. Has anyone driven this route?

9/27/2017 5:57 pm  #2

Re: Major Lake Rd Hwy 60 to Achray

It's not an option. Don't try it.

9/27/2017 6:31 pm  #3

A few months ago I used Google Maps on my iPhone to see if it could find a route to Lake Travers from Ottawa.  Well it did, but via the Bissett Creek road instead of the Barron Canyon Road!  Not only is this road not open to the public but it would also be a substantially longer route than the "official" route to Travers.   Google Maps didn't seem to even know about the Barron Canyon Road.  This problem in Google Maps appears to have been corrected but apparently there are still problems with its understanding of interior roads in Algonquin Park.

9/27/2017 7:28 pm  #4

There are logging roads all over Algonquin that are not open to the public. Sadly Google Maps shows them as routes. This has been going on for a long time. Google Maps also has some weird way of messing up Algonquin Park's boundaries, which is strange since the real park boundaries are very straightforward straight lines following the township survey grid, yet Google Maps shows them as curvy lines following some imagined natural feature. But yeah, the closed roads are a bigger issue.

Short answer, Major Lake Road is only open to the public up to the Crotch Lake access point (access point 17), and then there's a gate.

If you want to see whether roads are open to the public, you can check if they're visible on the official FOAP canoe routes map; this map simply doesn't show the roads that aren't open to the public. Or you can look at jeffsmap, which does show both types of roads, but makes a clear distinction between them (the non-open ones are double dashed lines).

9/28/2017 6:48 am  #5

Thanks everyone.  I've been across and through the park many times over the last 25 years but it was my first time using google maps to see what it said about from hwy 60 to Achray and thought perhaps I had been missing something.  We are heading up for a week in mid October.  The weather looks like its going to be great. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.