You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2017 9:42 am  #1

Color status

Has anyone been to the park in the last day or two to give a fall color update? 

I see a pic on the color status site from the 19th ... and there's some from the 15th ... but I imagine things have moved a little more in the last few days.

Anyone have any recent pics from other areas of the park?  Will it be a zoo along hwy 60 this weekend ?  

9/21/2017 10:37 am  #2

Re: Color status

While I haven't been to the park in a couple of weeks, I'm hearing from people who live up around there that the colors are near peak. Its expected to be a busy weekend along Hwy 60 partly to do with not only the colors but also the fantastic weather.

I'm heading up there for a 5 day backcountry trip on Saturday. I can report back when arrive home.

Jeff

Last edited by Wilderness Trekkers (9/21/2017 10:38 am)

9/21/2017 11:21 am  #3

Hi DW,

Over the past week, the reds are showing, along with some yellow.  Didn't see
much orange yet but the Autumn Blaze is starting!  Should be a banner Season!

9/21/2017 11:55 am  #4

Thanks guys ... I'm busy Friday but am thinking of driving up on Saturday and staying the night someplace ... do some of the better hikes, hwy 60 ...  I'm thinking of driving up through Bancroft area on the way since much of that is also maples, etc. 

9/22/2017 8:53 pm  #5

Just got back in the door from the park. I'd say next weekend will be the peak! It's around the 50% mark now!

9/23/2017 11:06 am  #6

Here's the colours on Pen Lake yesterday morning ...

... and the video clip it came from .. https://youtu.be/0ng36TyzgAw

9/23/2017 11:23 am  #7

As of today Algonquin is being reported as PEAK status - at 90% leaf colour change and 20% leaf fall.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/fall-colour-report.php

Here's to hoping Killarney will hold out until Thanksgiving weekend

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

9/25/2017 12:07 am  #8

I was up on the west side Sunday and there were lots of leaves on the ground already.  Colours didn't really seem to be popping yet though. 

9/25/2017 7:26 am  #9

You might want to steer clear of hwy 60 corridor this weekend. It will be a total zoo. 3-4 years ago before l knew about the leaf chart status, l got caught on a weekend they changed to peak. It took me 45min from Canisbay to Canoe lake. I was wondering what what going on. It was just crazy. People were walking around looking thru their camera's right on the road. I couldn't believe it. So be really careful and I mean careful if your up there. They have no worries about walking right out in front of you.
    Heading out on a 5 day trip on the west side Wed morning. Can't wait. Last week to fish trout! 

I'm just gone Fishin!

9/25/2017 10:42 am  #10

Was up for the day yesterday ... hiked the Lookout trail, Opeongo lake store  and the visitor centre.  My girlfriend had never been there before.  It was busy ... we actually could not find a parking spot at the Lake of 2 rivers store.  But hwy 60 was moving along fine and the hiking trail was busy but not too bad. 

Colors are nice but we were there midday and afternoon so the pictures turned out to be a bit hazy with the heat.  I also wonder if they will be peaking closer to this weekend as opposed to last weekend?  Still didn't seem like they were at their brightest. 

In any case pretty nice.  We stopped at the lake of 2 rivers park and saw that the beach had an algae warning ... just FYI to call ahead if heading to a campground up there. 

9/25/2017 7:13 pm  #11

I was up on the weekend. Spoke to a couple of locals who said the colours on the west side have already peaked. The trees were stressed out this summer. Drowned roots and late heat are causing lots of leaves to drop or turn brown. Driving through 60 the colours were nice but not spectacular. I think the east side of the park has yet to peak.

9/26/2017 6:54 am  #12

The east side poplar and oak forests will peak later but they can still provide some good color. Sometimes they peak very late... I was on Grand and Clemow lakes for several days around Nov 1 about ten years ago and they were in color then, with some poplars still green.

The webcam at the museum has plenty of poplars both in the live view and panorama, might help with timing for a late-season visit along the the park's color reports.

The oaks below are normally a rusty red color, here with sunset light making them appear redder than usual. The yellows are poplars.

PS... opening the pics in a new tab should provide a larger view ...IIRC?

Last edited by frozentripper (9/26/2017 6:56 am)

9/26/2017 8:07 pm  #13

Damn...wish I took a pic of the unusual bright red strip across maybe 10-15 trees but green both above and below {on Sept.16}.  Just before the rock barrier on Pen Lake, on way back to Rock.

9/28/2017 1:44 pm  #14

I just returned from a 5 day trip on the west side of the park. We went as far as White Trout Lake and it looks like the colors up there are past peak. Most of the leaves have fallen and now the conifers are changing colors. As it has already been said, the trees have been stressed from all the heavy rainfall earlier this year.

It seems like the best area to see the colors is around the Rock Lake area. Its been hard to predict the change this year, thats for sure.

Jeff

9/28/2017 3:58 pm  #15

Wilderness Trekkers wrote:

I just returned from a 5 day trip on the west side of the park. We went as far as White Trout Lake and it looks like the colors up there are past peak. Most of the leaves have fallen and now the conifers are changing colors. As it has already been said, the trees have been stressed from all the heavy rainfall earlier this year.

It seems like the best area to see the colors is around the Rock Lake area. Its been hard to predict the change this year, thats for sure.

Jeff

I just got back from that area today. I was on Louisa last night. I did the Rock-Pen-Welcome-Louisa loop. Hardly no color to be seen at all. Lots of leaf fall, but still LOTS of green in the canopy. Not a great year for leaf color that's for sure! The water is at it's warmest for the year right now too, still warm for swimming!

9/28/2017 5:10 pm  #16

ATVenture wrote:

Jeff

I just got back from that area today. I was on Louisa last night. I did the Rock-Pen-Welcome-Louisa loop. Hardly no color to be seen at all. Lots of leaf fall, but still LOTS of green in the canopy. Not a great year for leaf color that's for sure! The water is at it's warmest for the year right now too, still warm for swimming!

The colours were looking really good between White Trout and Canoe Lake (via Sunbeam, Littledoe, etc.) when I was there 2 weeks ago. The drive west from Canoe on Hwy 60 saw some really nice colours as well. I know it's not the best year for fall colours, but it definitely wasn't terrible - I think it's just past peak now.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

9/28/2017 5:30 pm  #17

ATVenture wrote:

Jeff

Thats true! We did a lot of swimming in our 5 day trip. I did forget to mention that the understory is still pretty green so there is definitely some more color to look forward to.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.