You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2017 9:06 pm  #1

Any Hangers?

Any hammock hangers in the group here?  I've been hammocking for a few years now but I'm looking to upgrade my rig.  Currently using an ENO Doublenest but I've been reading about the added comfort of a longer (i.e. 11 foot) hammock.  I also want to ditch my pad and get an underquilt as I hear they are super comfy.

For those of you who hang, what is your current set up?

9/04/2017 9:14 pm  #2

Re: Any Hangers?

I don't currently have a hammock, but I'm hoping to change that next season. Being a bigger guy (6'4, 240lbs) I will be limited on what will work for me. Right now at the top of my list for future acquisition is the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. (https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/blackbird-xlc/)

9/04/2017 9:19 pm  #3

There's so many things to consider eh?  Suspension, ridge lines, fabrics, single vs double layer, and so on....I've been real happy with my ENO but the more I read the more I realize I could be doing a lot better.  

I'm leaning towards either a Dream Hammock Freebird or Dutch 11ft Wide Netless.....I like the extra wide because I use them as a chair around camp.  Sitting sideways is amazingly comfortable.  That's one of the reasons I would prefer not to have a bug net on mine.  I had a Hennessy before and I found the bug net a bit claustrophobic and didn't allow me to sit in it... 

I've heard great things about Warbonnet though...

9/05/2017 1:06 am  #4

I'm still rocking the Hennessey Expedition Asym.  Replaced the first one - a Hennessey Ultralight after 10+ years of solid use.  It was still in ok shape but I was creeping dangerously close to the 185lb max weight limit - and I never really liked the bottom entry point.

I thought about an underquilt after freezing a few nights in it but in the end I settled on insulating my sleeping pad - a Neoair Xtherm -  with a blue foam mat. The only problem I had after that was cold elbows, so I added a couple of "wings to the blue foam pad and have spent many comfortable nights down to a few degrees below zero since.    Once it gets real cold I prefer to hot tent.

I'm sure you've checked out Hammockforums.net lots of experienced hangers over there with an infinite # of rigging ideas.

9/05/2017 6:46 am  #5

I too use a Hennessey hammock and find it to be great.  I used their under-quilt system this past May and will never forget to bring it along.  Dispite the 20F temps I was warm and loved it.  I don't camp much in the regular (warmer) season, and now consider it a necessity in the shoulders when I do go.  I do not mind the bottom entrance but I am thinking a side zipper would make it more versatile (as a seat or to hang out a while).

9/05/2017 7:41 am  #6

Doug - I've never spent a night in a hammock, but bought a hennessy expedition asymmetrical for my son this summer.  It has a side entrance, which is why I'm responding to you.  When I was looking at reviews, videos, etc., I did see one reviewer....youtube?....who talked about the difficulty of using the hennessy as a seat/hangout spot, because the top of the hammock would always interfere with his head.  I don't know if that is useful info or not. 

9/06/2017 5:00 am  #7

I made a DIY gear supply double layer and a bug net. I'm using the woopie slings for my suspension and mine does have a ridge line.  So far so good I've only used it a few times but mainly in the warmer months.

9/06/2017 5:14 am  #8

Started with a Hennessey scout and Expedition A-Sym with bottom entrance and then got two more A-Sym with the side zipper (family of four, we all have a hammock).  I wouldn't say we use them exclusively, but probably 70% of the time we camp it is in the hammocks.  

I've camped in snow and used the standard rectangular sleeping pad - cool elbows but warm otherwise.

Kids are grown (one in college, one graduated) and they have borrowed them to use for various group activities and really enjoy them.  It's nice when you teach them how to do something and they embrace it and move forward with it.

9/06/2017 7:10 am  #9

If I were looking to upgrade my hammock set up I'm fairly certain this would be it.

https://www.junglehammock.com/product/clark-north-american-jungle-hammock/

4 season, 3 lbs, love the Weathershield feature. Great reviews. Not cheap though and the reason I don't own one now.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/06/2017 7:49 am  #10

Thanks for the insight dontgroandaddy, I guess any hammock with a ridge line might not be the best selection for a seat or just hanging out in.  Might have to get a small Enos for that but, that just increases the number of hanging spots needed in a site.  And that has been a problem at times, just finding two spaces for my buddy and I.  Maybe a seat would be better?

9/06/2017 12:22 pm  #11

I LOVE the ability to use the ENO Doublenest as a seat.  That is a bit of a worry for me too when I think of switching to one with a ridge line.  Having said that I don't think it will be that much of an issue on a longer hammock (i.e. 11 feet). 

9/06/2017 6:15 pm  #12

I've never yet Hanged-10 in a hammock...thought about it some, over time!  Recently though,
became aware of something (to me) new and novel:  Suspended Tent
It seems a sort of a hammock/tent hybrid, and they're not cheap either!  Any idea how the two
hanging-sleeper types compare?

9/06/2017 6:23 pm  #13

To me the whole idea of a hammock is to be more open to the surrounding campsite.   The thought of being in a hammock/tent doesn't really appeal to me for that reason.  I always figured if I wanted to sleep in a tent I'd just sleep in a tent.  Not sure if they are more comfy or less comfy though....I'd be interested to hear as well

9/06/2017 7:49 pm  #14

My main hammock is a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC double layer.  I also have a Hennessy which I used for a few years.  I like the Blackbird a bit better, but they are comparable.  Undequilt/topquilt is definitely the way to go.  I learned this the hard way with a trip in May.....despite having a mattress and 0 degree bag with fleece liner.  I have the Yeti and Mamba from Warbonnet and am happy with them.  With the XLC the bug netting is removable, but the ridgeline might still be in the way for sitting.  I have a few tarps which I cycle through depending on the trip.  I have the Hennessy hex tarp, and Warbonnet Superfly.

For me the major advantages of a hammock are being up off the ground, especially in the rain.  On my last trip, I had the tent and we were forced to set it up on an uncomfortable slope because all the flat areas suitable for a tent were flooded.  I've stayed a few great camp sites where there really wasn't a great/comfortable place to set up a tent.  With the hammock you can hang over any uncomfortable ground.  Plus a hammock is usually quite a bit smaller than a tent.....no poles.

9/07/2017 3:03 pm  #15

Hey Steve ... if you do upgrade I might be interested in your old one if its in good shape ... however I am 6 feet tall so if you are the same height and you find yours a bit small then perhaps its not the best option for me. 

Anyway if you do want to sell send me a message and we can talk .. thanks

9/07/2017 9:15 pm  #16

Hey DW I'll keep that in mind.  I think I will likely end up keeping it for my son as he seems to like the hammock life as well.  But if not I'll let you know and give you first dibs

To be honest I've never felt like the ENO DN is too small but now that I've been reading up more on hammocks, apparently the comfort difference between that and an 11 foot is night and day

9/18/2017 4:32 pm  #17

A tale of four hammocks

My first hammock was a 10 foot Warbonnet Blackbird. Liked it. Even bought one for my dad to hang in his log cabin after the mice ate his mattress. Hanging above rocky ground, above flooded tent-dwellers. 

Warbonnet Blackbird in Killarney Park

The more I slept in it, the less comfortable I was. I started noticing the pressure on my heels, and the need for a pillow or something under my left knee to prevent hyperextension. So I sold the Blackbird.

Second hammock was a bridge hammock from Jacks R Better. Sleeping flat was great, but it was like being in a coffin and the visibility wasn't very good. It was warm with an under quilt, but the sides were high.

JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock at the Science Centre Toronto

Third hammock was a bridge, but his one was a Warbonnet RidgeRunner Bridge. Excellent visibility. Comfortable. More like a suspended cot than a hammock. This is the one!.

[url][/url]

So i sold my JRB Bridge. In the days before the sale I realized that with a 26" inflatable pad in the sleeve, it flattened it out more, the sides came down, and the visibility went way up. Not like a coffin at all!

JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock at Seton Park toronto

It's a great hammock..but I couldn't have two bridges so I sold it.

But then I heard about the Blackbird XLC 11 foot hammock.  Maybe my problem with my original Blackbird was that it wasn't long enough and I just needed an 11 foot hammock to solve all those problems. I wanted it to work because the bridge hammock was a bit heavy for backpacking (gotta bring spreader bar poles).
So I bought an XLC.

XLC at Tom Thomson Lake

I've tried the XLC on two trips this year for a total of about 8 nights so far. The verdict is that it is a very comfortable gathered end hammock and it certainly reduces (but does not completely solve) the issues i had with the original Blackbird. Your mileage may vary. One real improvement is that it is much flatter due to the extra foot, and the Wooki under quilt system requires almost no fiddling, compared to years gone by.

So I currently own the 11' XLC, my dad's 10' Blackbird that he never used, and a RidgeRunner bridge that I love.

If you want a test drive of the Blackbird or the Blackbird XLC, let me know. (I live in Toronto; I'll next be in Algonquin the week after thanksgiving for a hike.)

Also, check out the Eastern Great Lakes Hammock Hangers on hammock forums.net (in the trip planning sub-forum). They often organize trips to Algonquin---in fact I think there is one next weekend, and they will have all kinds of different models for you to try out.

Last edited by Methye (9/18/2017 4:38 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.