You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2017 6:49 am  #1

The Brent Crawl - Part 2: Great Weather for Making Bad Choices

Hi All,

I've got part two of my Brent Crawl report up now. This one covers my day from White Trout to Catfish. It was a long day. https://allofalgonquin.com/2017/08/29/the-brent-crawl-part-2-great-weather-for-making-bad-choices/

Have a great long weekend! 

Drew

8/31/2017 8:58 am  #2

Re: The Brent Crawl - Part 2: Great Weather for Making Bad Choices

Great report. A lot of the 'dumb decisions' were justifiable at least, even if they weren't the smartest choices (i.e. not wanting to portage when the sun is on its final minutes).

The only thing that I don't get is why you decided to leave Burntroot. You mentioned that you got to the east site midway down the lake at noon, and you got to the Perley site at 6pm, meaning you must have spent about 4hrs resting on Burntroot. After that long, and when it's already 4pm or so, there's no way I would leave!

On the plus side, these adventures always make for the better stories... as long as you come out alive

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/31/2017 9:02 am  #3

That's a good point re timing. I was on Burntroot for about an hour and a half, got to Perley around 3 and spent a couple of hours taking it easy/setting up. I didn't hear back from my wife until around 5:30, which is why there was such a time lag between the Burntroot decision and the Perley one.

8/31/2017 6:53 pm  #4

As usual, we are having a good time reading your trip report. Descriptive and funny, though that last set of rapids was surely a bad idea.

8/31/2017 6:58 pm  #5

Methye wrote:

As usual, we are having a good time reading your trip report. Descriptive and funny, though that last set of rapids was surely a bad idea.

Thanks for reading! And I agree, very surely a bad idea.

9/05/2017 3:27 pm  #6

I did the actual Brent run in 2014 with a friend. I have also heard of the record being 23 hours and change. Well we did it in 39 hours and 55 minutes with only stopping to eat a couple sandwiches and a bag of chips on the lawn at Brent store. I would say that the longer you take to complete, the harder it becomes. We were slow, careful and steady, but if I were to do it again (doubtful), I would go as fast as I could. It really is the lack of sleep that is the killer. That, and trying to navigate through Catfish L. at night.....

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.