You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2017 1:08 pm  #1

Sonnet mesh network device

I recently chipped in to back this device via Kickstarter. It turns your phone into a kind of walkie-talkie, but one that can send text, images, etc., in addition to voice, in places where there is no cell reception. It uses radio. Range is about 5km minimum, but range can be extended by using any Sonnet device in between you and your recipient as a relay. 

I'm not a big fan of electronics in the backcountry, but this might have applications for large separated groups, hunting parties, etc., and also vacations, disasters, etc.

The company is Canadian. BTW If you choose to get a pair or more of them, please private message me. I can get $10 referral fee. ;-)  I don't work for them. Just was interested in the technology.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sonnet-world-s-most-advanced-mobile-mesh-network-communication/x/17239560#/

Bonus "Where in Algonquin?" : in the video for the product, they demonstrate the mesh network by showing a satellite image of a lake. It looked familiar to me. Can you identify it without looking at a map?

Last edited by Methye (8/25/2017 1:15 pm)

8/25/2017 2:18 pm  #2

Re: Sonnet mesh network device

Thats a cool concept for sure.
Walkie talkies are great to have in the park when in a big group.  Being able to communicate with other canoes can be essential.

8/25/2017 6:02 pm  #3

Methye wrote:

Bonus "Where in Algonquin?" : in the video for the product, they demonstrate the mesh network by showing a satellite image of a lake. It looked familiar to me. Can you identify it without looking at a map?

LOL first thing I said to myself when I saw that map was - - geez, that looks an awful lot like Merchant Lake.. sure is!

8/25/2017 9:39 pm  #4

haha too easy for you!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.