You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2017 11:13 am  #1

Whiskeyjack Lake

What's Whiskeyjack like? Is it worth staying a night? Any sites in particular that people recommend?

8/09/2017 11:23 am  #2

Re: Whiskeyjack Lake

Absolutely beautiful lake and definitely worth staying at. Crystal clear water.

Best site is the one on the point, 2nd best is just west of the point site on the south shore, 3rd best is just east of the point site, also on the south shore. The other two on the north shore are meh.

Giant underwater shoal right in the middle of the lake and the old portage to the Nipissing can be found just west of the western-most campsite. Landing is obvious, can't miss it. Trail disappears at the logging road tho.

8/09/2017 11:26 am  #3

@Peek Awesome. I'm looking at booking a night there or on Nadine. Do you have a preference between the two? I'll be coming from Shippagew the night before. Is it insane to try for Nadine in one day? Jeff's Map says it's about 30 km, but I'm guessing it can get windy on Burntroot and I have no idea how long the Nippissing between Remona and Nadine will take.

8/09/2017 11:34 am  #4

hmmm.. honestly, they're both pretty outstanding lakes. Both have crystal clear water. Whiskey Jack does have better campsites, but Nadine is a pretty special lake too. Best sit on Nadine is the northern-most one - the rest are very mediocre at best. The Nip between Remona and Nadine isnt too bad - esp with the water levels this year. Portage from Remona to Nip is pretty much downhill the entire way, then back uphill the entire way on the trail to Nadine. 

So really.. if you've got another person with you, get separate permits. One books Whiskey Jack and the other Nadine. This way if you get to Whiskey Jack and still have energy left, you can move on. Shippagew to Nadine would be a pretty intense day, but if you start early enough it's totally do-able.

8/09/2017 6:11 pm  #5

I did Burntroot (one of the Northern sites) to Nadine last summer .  I estimated it would take about 4.5 hours, and I did take a detour to high falls (70 minutes), but my total travel time was just under 7 hours (including stopping for lunch, etc.).  I travel quicker than most, but if I exclude the detour it still took about 30% longer than I planned.  The water levels were lower so I spent quite a bit of time navigating around obstacles and letting the current carry me vs. actually propelling myself forward.  It could be a lot quicker with higher water levels.  The portage into Nadine from the Nipissing is a good uphill run.  It took quite a lot out of me as it was a very hot day.

I stayed on Nadine (site that Peek mentioned), and enjoyed it. I don't remember any of the sites on Whiskey Jack, but looking at the map I can see why.....I went straight for the portage and missed all the sites.

I don't know when you are planning on going, but I'll be there in the next few days.  I'll check out Whiskey Jack this time so I'll know for next time.

8/14/2017 9:09 pm  #6

I just got back from the area.  From my camp at the North end of Burntroot to Nadine took me just over 5 hours, but I spent about 30 minutes touring Whiskey Jack.  So that more or less matches my original estimate from last year.  Now, this year the water levels on the Nipissing are much higher.  There was only one or two places where I had to avoid rocks (ad it was easy and obvious), and I didn't once have to pull over a beaver dam (I rode over one dam this year) or wade over a shallow section.  The current it moving quite quickly.  Going upstream for that section wouldn't be fun right now.

Peek's assessment of the Whiskey Jack sites is more or less accurate.  The point site is the most interesting.  The thunderbox is mounted high on the ridge of the point, and would have a commanding view of the lake (a plus for some, but not for others).  The site at the Western end of the lake is definitely the worst.  The rest are about the same.  The water is definitely clear.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the Whiskey Jack is better than Nadine.  Nadine has arguably clearer water, and the lake itself has huge submerged boulders, which gives you something to look at through all that clear water.  The 'best' site on Nadine was occupied, so I had the site just North of the portage to Osler.  It was a fine site.  The two sites on the South side of the lake are less interesting.  The portage into Nadine from the Nipissing would be tough after a long day.  I was expecting it from last year, but it just seems that there is always one more more hill after the last.

One other option:  the island site on Robinson looks impressive.  It has many large rock levels.  I couldn't check it out in detail as it was occupied.  The water is more murky than Whiskey Jack or Nadine, but it might make for a shorter day for you.  The other site on Robinson wasn't particularly interesting.

8/15/2017 5:57 am  #7

Algonquinlakes, an article from a frequent forum contributor (MSR).
WhiskeyJack lake is one of his 5 favourite lakes.

http://www.canoekayak.com/travel/5-lakes-algonquin-park-worth-visiting/

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.