You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2017 3:47 pm  #1

Preparing to Solo Paddle in a group

We just had a fellow drop out a week before our trip which means I'll be solo paddling in a 16' Souris - I solo paddle an 18' cedar at home but not for huge trips like our Algonquin trip.

I'm not sure whether i'll be kneeling or sitting but a combination of both but I found when I kneeled my feet got really sore from being on my toes.

Does anyone have tips on solo paddling while kneeling? I'm trying to be prepared. 

8/03/2017 10:08 am  #2

Re: Preparing to Solo Paddle in a group

Piece of pool noodle under lower legs helps. More points of contact and takes pressure off of your toes. I also have a kneeling thwart. Calm you can sit and when the wind picks up switch. And keep your pack as far forward as possible to keep the bow down.

8/03/2017 11:50 am  #3

Re: Preparing to Solo Paddle in a group

jvermast,

Used my 16' Souris soloing on many trips.  I have always just sat in the bow seat backwards with my pack well forward and the boat trims out fairly well for windy conditions (I am about 170 lbs).  I suspect you should be fine as well (and much more comfortable).

If you do find yourself kneeling in the middle of the boat I have used a 20l dry bag (typically containing clothes, sleeping bag & pad) between my knees used as a rest to support your backside.  As noted above provides another point of contact / stability such that you aren't balancing constantly between your knees and the top of your feet / toes.

Enjoy the trip!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.