You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2017 7:12 am  #1

Island Campsite on Little trout lake

We just returned from there, but I'm curious. When we paddled in to Little Trout, is was about 6pm. The one island campsite with one campsite indicated didn't seem to be there. The longer island (south) near the shore has two campsites that were occupied (sunset view!).

The reservation site online indicates 9 campsites, but Jeff's indicates 10. Could it be the government closed it for some rehab?

Thanks!

BTW this forum is great, helped me a lot in my planning!

8/02/2017 11:35 am  #2

Re: Island Campsite on Little trout lake

I haven't been there personally, but if it shows 10 on Jeffs and 9 on reservations, that makes sense. The park leaves empty campsites for emergency reasons (bad weather, injury, sickness, etc.). Sometimes there aren't emergency sites, and sometimes there are multiple. But 9 vs. 10 would make sense here.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/02/2017 6:25 pm  #3

Thanks TT! My dad and I stayed on that island in 1995 lol, I was hoping to recreate that with my daughter.

To be fair, the spot we stayed in on the North shore was awesome as well! Slept great!!

8/10/2017 8:00 am  #4

Are you referring to site 9 on the PCI map of Little Trout?
I was on the lake last year and stayed on site 5. 9 was one of my target sites but it was already occupied. We couldn't find it at first but if I recall correctly, the site is fairly hidden. We wouldn't have spotted it until we saw the occupants' canoe.

8/10/2017 10:32 am  #5

liddle_loodle wrote:

Are you referring to site 9 on the PCI map of Little Trout?
I was on the lake last year and stayed on site 5. 9 was one of my target sites but it was already occupied. We couldn't find it at first but if I recall correctly, the site is fairly hidden. We wouldn't have spotted it until we saw the occupants' canoe.

I guess so!! On the current Jeff's Maps the site is near the southeastern tip of the island which is where we were looking. We wound up paddling all the way around the island.

I wasn't even aware of site 5's location until you mentioned it to me. It's not marked on the currently available Jeff's Map.

Notwithstanding, we camped at site 11 (PCI ) and had a wonderful visit!

8/11/2017 9:24 am  #6

The landing is actually on the southeast end of the island with the fire pit almost on the peninsula on that side. It's on of our favorite sites because there is a large rock face on the north east side that you can swim off

Last edited by jvermast (8/11/2017 9:26 am)

8/11/2017 11:12 am  #7

Aww shucks, now I wish I had seen it!!

Oh well, next time!

jvermast wrote:

The landing is actually on the southeast end of the island with the fire pit almost on the peninsula on that side. It's on of our favorite sites because there is a large rock face on the north east side that you can swim off

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.