You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2017 6:29 pm  #1

Sec/Mallard/Pretty Lake - Easy Fall Trip with Dad?

I'm looking to do an easy trip in the fall with my dad (70 years old) and am looking for suggestions...

This would be late fall (late October) so car camping along the Corridor is out (don't want to do Mew again).  We want to be close to the vehicle so we can do some driving and explore the area a bit.  Don't mind a short paddle to a site but would prefer no portaging if possible...I see that there are some sites on Mallard/Sec Lake that look like you can almost drive to them?  Does anyone have any experience with these sites? 

Also looking at the one on Pretty Lake.  I read a post here that says it's right on the road but wonder how busy the road is that time of year?

8/01/2017 6:36 pm  #2

Re: Sec/Mallard/Pretty Lake - Easy Fall Trip with Dad?

Can't comment on Mallard or Sec but..

Pretty Lake has a good campsite. It's literally right off the road (you can clearly see the road from the campsite, and drivers can see you), so that might suck, but overall the campsite is large, flat and in the open pines. John has stayed there a couple time (I think) so I'm sure he can chime in with better info - I only stopped there briefly to check it out on the way to Traverse.

8/01/2017 6:47 pm  #3

Thanks Peek.  I would be staying at a site like that with the idea I'm basically car camping, so my expectations of total seclusion are not misunderstood.  Just thought it might afford the best of both worlds by having access to a vehicle but being in a quieter part of the park that time of year.

8/01/2017 8:01 pm  #4

I don't know if this is a good recommendation for you or not, but the Tim River to Tim Lake might be nice.  It isn't a particularly long paddle and since it is largely a river, the wind can't do too much to you there.  There are a number of sites on the lake.  I haven't done it myself, just throwing it out there.  The biggest downside is that you aren't close to much of anything there.  I hope you and your dad have a fantastic trip.  I only ever managed one trip with my dad, it was about 25 years ago and was one of my favorite trips ever.  Never stopped raining.

8/01/2017 8:02 pm  #5

Thanks for that suggestion...We've done that exact trip numerous times over the past several years as it fits the bill perfectly   One of my favorite areas of the park! 

8/01/2017 8:03 pm  #6

Steve,

I can give you tons of information on Sec Lake.  Here goes:  upon arrival at Sec Lake access point, there is a site right there that you can camp on.  Also, to the left of the access point, there is a path that takes you to another good site in the bay to your left.  You can easily canoe there as well.  Also two good sites on the RH shore should you decide to canoe up the lake, as well as great sites on the big island.

Also, before you hit Sec Lake access point, there is a drive in to a site on Mallard lake that I have also stayed on.  Nice flat site, but a slight downhill trek to the lake.

As Peek mentioned, Pretty lake is right on the road so no privacy at all there.  For what you are looking for, I would either take the drive-in site on Mallard Lake or the site in the bay that is on your left of the access point on Sec Lake.  I have stayed at the site right at the access point a few times with family but with so many people going in to fish for the day, it is not very private.

If you would like more info, PM me.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

8/01/2017 8:23 pm  #7

Bo that's super helpful...I was hoping you'd reply here as I know you've been there a ton.

How is the site on Mallard Lake? 

The site you are referring to that's on the left from the access point...is that on the left as you are paddling out or on the left as you are viewing on a map?

Do you think there would be many people on that lake if we went mid-week sometime mid to late October?

Thanks again, I really think this is a good option for our type of trip and appreciate your feedback...

8/01/2017 9:31 pm  #8

Steve,

Sec is a nice lake (nicer than Mallard, in my opinion), and as Bo said there are two quite decent sites that you can very easily walk to right from the put in.  A 10 minute paddle gives you lots of other options.  Mid-week in October you will quite likely have the place to yourself.  I've been to Sec a lot, and my sense is that it's mostly used for weekend gateways/day fishing.

There's plenty to do in the area, including hiking the Barron Canyon trail, or paddling the Barron river in the canyon, which are both worth doing.

Note that the colours don't pop as much in the fall on the east side as there is a lot of pine, but it's nonetheless pretty (poplars, etc.)

fred

8/02/2017 8:01 am  #9

The two walk in sites on Sec Lake are actually quite awesome. I'd camp there vs. a campground any day of the year that's for sure! 
Don't forget about Number One Lake, which is just down the road. The sites are 180m (ish) from the road, and are fairly nice as well. Out of all of the above options Number One Lake would offer the most privacy. 
Every year the same group of hunters camp on the road into Sec Lake and you can hear them from the lake (and the occasional gun shot). They are a great group though and aren't an issue other than a little bit of noise. 
I usually camp on Sec Lake late every fall, last year I was there mid-November and the year before I camped there for a few nights mid December.

Last edited by ATVenture (8/02/2017 8:03 am)

8/02/2017 9:29 am  #10

Steve,

​The drive-in site to Mallard Lake is pretty flat and spacious up top.  Plenty of room for a good sized tent.  There is a moderate downhill trek to get to Mallard Lake, around 15 yards.  The last time I was there (2 years ago), there was a nice fire place, but no benches and/or made-up tables on the site.  On sites like this one and ones on Sec Lake, I always bring my portable wooden table and, of course, a camping chair.

​The site on Sec Lake in the bay is on your left as if you were starting out from the access point.  You can even walk to this site, but it really isn't worth it if you have a canoe to get to this site.

​As for the big island which currently is closed due to nesting eagles (has 4 really good sites on it), I have heard these sites will become available to campers once again by middle to end of August so they will be available to you and your father in October.  The big island is only about a 10 minute paddle away.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

8/02/2017 2:16 pm  #11

Thanks again for the info guys.  Looks like a perfect spot!  How far of a walk are you looking at to the walk-in sites on Sec?  Also, I'm assuming interior rules apply to all these sites?

8/02/2017 2:22 pm  #12

Steve E wrote:

Thanks again for the info guys.  Looks like a perfect spot!  How far of a walk are you looking at to the walk-in sites on Sec?  Also, I'm assuming interior rules apply to all these sites?

The one to the right of the Access point is literally about 100 metres. The one to the left is probably about 300 metres, but the trail isn't very well used, so like Bo said you'd be better off just paddling to it. The one on the right is right on the portage into Wet lake so its a VERY easy path.
Don't forget to check out Number One Lake.
Oh and yes they are still considered interior sites, so all of the same rules apply.

Last edited by ATVenture (8/02/2017 2:24 pm)

8/05/2017 9:29 am  #13

I was also looking at Basin Lake as an option.  Any thoughts on this lake for a late fall trip?  Is it pretty quiet that time of year?  How are the sites right at the parking area?

8/07/2017 9:07 pm  #14

Hey John I was hoping you'd jump in on this thread as I know that is your neck of the woods and that you've shared some amazing experiences there.  Question about the hunting....when you are out do you see hunters all over the place or more do you hear the odd shot off in the distance?

8/09/2017 9:12 am  #15

John Connelly wrote:

Steve .... as I'm sure you are aware .
The Tuesday after Thanksgiving ... the Anishinabee hunters are in the areas you ask about .
Over the years , I've not had any problems in late October . I wear hunters orange and use plain old common sense when considering my days travels .
The Basin Depot area is rich in history , so well documented by Rory Mackay's book ... " Spirits of the Little Bonnechere "

Amazing wildlife shots!!

8/14/2017 12:09 pm  #16

Hi Steve ... I'll add my 2 cents for Sec ... love it and have taken the kids a few times.  We did walk to the longer walk in site last year and the path there was fine ... have not been there this year though.  Good spot for swimming however there are leeches which was surprising because other sites on Sec were fine.  Might be because its a bay and water is not all that deep.  I have camped on a few other sites on the lake if you want other options.  Most times its a race to get an island site thought ... they are really nice ...  

Another option where you avoid portages is McManus ... a bit farther down the east side past Sec ... sorry if this has already been mentioned since I didn't read all the posts. 

8/31/2017 5:13 pm  #17

Sorry folks just a quick follow up to this thread as I'm starting to look a bit closer at putting plans together.  Question about Sec/Mallard.... I'm looking at heading up sometime early November.  Is it safe to say that is hunting season at that time?  If so, do I need to worry about campsites etc being occupied by hunters?  What about exploring around that area...is it an issue if it is hunting season? 

Would this be less of an issue at the Pretty Lake site?  How many logging trucks would one expect to travel the road past Pretty Lake in a given day? 

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.