You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/31/2017 9:07 am  #1

Picking up two permits.

We are hiking for 3 days and then 5 days in the canoe, does anyone know if Parks Canada has any issues with us picking up the permit for canoeing when we start our hike? 

It's about an hour from the trailhead to the permit office so I'd rather not have to drive all the way back

7/31/2017 11:14 am  #2

Re: Picking up two permits.

From all accounts, the earliest you're able to get your permit is the day before the start of your trip.
However, you might be able to convince someone at the permit office to issue earlier? I don't know if the system allows that?
The other option might be to call from the trailhead (assuming you have cellular signal) and try to get them to issue the permit for your second trip over the phone, following the completion of your initial trip.

Hopefully someone else has a more positive answer for you with personal experience.

7/31/2017 11:42 am  #3

If you're able to book a trip that has varying amounts of people for different nights of the trip, then you can extend your booking to include 3 nights for 1 person before the 5 days you'll be canoeing. It would cost an additional $36, but how much would gas cost to go 1hr each direction to pick up the permit otherwise? Probably a similar cost but it saves you the time.

Just not sure if they're able to do varying amounts of people on each night of the trip

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/31/2017 12:39 pm  #4

I gave the permit office a call in Kearney. They said it don't like to but they could do a manual permit on Sunday and charge my credit card for the 2nd part of our trip on the day it starts without us there.

They did not recommend extending out front with one person because then you are booking sites that you won't be staying on.

7/31/2017 1:17 pm  #5

They may not recommend it, but the flaws in their system sometimes requires it as the best of a set of bad options. Glad they're willing to do a manual permit for you ahead of time - you don't always get someone so accommodating. Hopefully the same person is working when you show up!

7/31/2017 6:06 pm  #6

I made sure he was, actually! 

By the way I binged watched like 5 of your trips last night. Just noticed who it was responding! Great stuff

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.