You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2017 5:40 pm  #1

Chibiabos Creek to Nipissing?

Does anyone have any experience with the section of Chibiabos Creek leading out of Indian Pipe Lake and then leading into the Nipissing?  I see there are a few un-maintained campsites on the Nipissing...has anyone seen or stayed on these?  Looking for a fall trip to do with my dad and something a little different.  We'd be looking to base camp possibly at one of those three sites and explore from there.  Just not sure if Chibiabos Creek is navigable and if those sites are usable...

Thanks!

8/01/2017 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Chibiabos Creek to Nipissing?

Steve,
Have heard the creek isn't passable. Maybe on super high water conditions with lots of dragging and most likely cutting blowdowns and alders . Go the long way around I guess. Though could be low water past big bob L.One can solo past there but its very tough in a tandem setup . 
I have camped on the first two of those low maint sites( first one being where the creek enters the river ) . First one is nice above a small waterfall/rapids . Second up on the portage . Third one not so great on the shore of the river. Might just want to go all the way down to Grassy L . Nice campsite there .
In general I would avoid this area in low water times.Its a better early spring trip .These rivers get narrower,low and grown in past the spring. Maybe worth it if its a wet fall . Remember dragging is tough in these mud bottomed rivers. Step out and you go in muck up to your knees. Same trouble north of Rosebary on Latour Cr.  Gives the surviving specks a chance to spawn after the spring deluge of fishermen. 

Last edited by Antman (8/01/2017 12:37 pm)

8/01/2017 3:26 pm  #3

Thanks Antman that is valuable info for sure...much appreciated!

8/03/2017 2:46 pm  #4

You are pretty crazy to try that one! Although this is a fairly high water year, I've seen parts of the upper Nip become very frustrating in August. I'm certain Chibiabos would be no more than a bushwack!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.