You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2017 8:45 am  #1

Lower Spectacle - Clover - St. Francis Lakes

Hey folks, 

I'm supposed to be heading into the park early next week through Kiosk and suddenly got it in my head to change things up entirely. I've never been into Algonquin through the easternmost access points, mostly due to driving distance and the lack of interesting-looking loops, but as I'm running out of new places to explore in the park it's soon going to be time to change that.

So I'm looking at going in through Grand Lake and spending nights on Lower Spectacle, Clover and St. Francis. Two of those lakes have only one bookable site and the other, Clover, is hard enough to get to that I should have it to myself. If anyone has been to any of these lakes and has any insight on the campsites or the route (especially all those low maintenance portages into and out of Clover) it would be greatly appreciated!

7/26/2017 10:07 am  #2

Re: Lower Spectacle - Clover - St. Francis Lakes

My impulsive streak has won and despite having done little research yet, this loop is now booked. This will be my first trip in years where literally every single meter of it will be new to me, so I'm super excited. 

Now I just need to know what I'm getting into, so share anything you know! That 4425 from Tarn to St. Andrews looks especially painful. 130 meter elevation change? Are you kidding me? 

7/26/2017 10:30 am  #3

Uppa wrote:

That 4425 from Tarn to St. Andrews looks especially painful. 130 meter elevation change? Are you kidding me?

Uppa, you have to look at the positives... The note on Jeffs Map says it's quite steep for the first 800m on either end.
PUSH up the incline knowing you're rewarded with a little easier go after the first 800m. 

Have a great trip!

7/26/2017 12:05 pm  #4

I was gonna do the math on what the slope gradient might be, but Markinthepark already had!

Examining the GPS track (In Google Earth) from my spot device as I write this trip-log; I have found that the slope heading up from Tarn Lake had a maximum grade of 26.3%. So, yes some might say it was a steep climb however, the descent and subsequent return climb for the canoe had a slope of 37.4% maximum grade. Quite the monster!

Having read the section of his trip log that takes him through this loop, I'm in for a hell of a slog. St. Francis seems like an unreasonable and unnecessary add to what's going to be a brutal day, so I may stop at Tarn or St. Andrew's instead. Going to do some more reading and then decide. 

7/26/2017 3:18 pm  #5

You might be interested in our bushlog page: http://www.mcelroy.ca/bushlog/20120911.html  It includes an elevation profile for that portage.

7/26/2017 3:37 pm  #6

Hey Uppa,

Did a variation on your trip 10 years ago.

Lots of info out there on Lower Spectacle (shallow lake, sites maybe not so great?).

The loop through Guthrie/Clover/Tarn can be a challenge, mostly because of low water, and then the big portage back to St. Andrew's which you have no illusions about.

What might make it a bit easier this rainy year will be the water levels. When we went through, it was VERY tough to make our way through the upper end of McDonald Creek, and to find the portage to Turcotte. Like, using cattails to pull ourselves along, thinking more than once that we had missed the portage. I expect you'll have enough water this year that it won't be as confusing. The portage itself is unmemorable, except maybe for muckiness.

We stayed first night near the cabin on Guthrie, which is a good historic site. One of the western sites on Clover which we checked out at lunch is very nice, up high with a good view of the lake.

Travel from Clover to Little Tarn was difficult in 2007, as Pogonia and Grasspink were essentially dried up, so there was additional portaging through the tall grass near shore. We spent our second night on Little Tarn, where the site was small but serviceable, a bit steep if I recall. Tarn itself has those great cliffs at the eastern end.

We started early from Little Tarn, and despite the steep portage, made it back to Achray in time to drive up to Eustache for another couple of nights.

St. Francis is a nice enough lake, the site has a rocky shore, decent firepit, and room for a tent. It's a favourite for a secluded trip, since it's a dead end. Portages from St. Andrew's are flat and easy.

I know Peek's been through this route more recently, and has photos of the Guthrie cabin.

I think you've made a good impulsive choice, given the wet year.

-Matt in Ottawa

7/26/2017 6:48 pm  #7

Just took the time to go back and re-read Mark's complete report of going through here, very thorough! He gives better detail than I did on the campsites & portages. And Bob McElroy's link will really help you (he posted while I was typing my previous message). Forgot about their hike to the top of Tarn cliff, which I had also enjoyed reading before.

Good luck!

-Matt

Last edited by MattJ (7/26/2017 8:13 pm)

7/26/2017 7:20 pm  #8

Hi Uppa,

I have not done this loop myself, but I happened to chat with some rangers last weekend while I was on Sec lake, and I asked them about it since I've long wanted to go check out Clover.

My takeaway: getting down there via route south of Carcajou/Spectacle is doable, but they suggested that the route between Clover and St. Andrews via the Tarn lakes is very tough going, and trails are not always easy to find/stay on (some flagging tape?).  Very few people go through there apparently; handful of people a year?

They encouraged me to skip this and head up to Greenleaf instead.  

If you do go, I look forward to hearing all about it!  Can't be worse than your spring trip to Round Island?

Fred

7/27/2017 7:48 am  #9

@rgcmce: Your page was one of the ones I turned up (and read in its entirety) when Googling for information. Thanks for posting it!

@Matt: Yeah, the Lower Spec booking was basically because I won't have time to travel far that day and it was open - no specific reason beyond that. It's just the setup day for the interesting parts of the trip. Thanks for the info; I hope the wet year makes my trip a bit easier than yours was!

@Fred: Hrm... okay, thanks. I'll chat up whoever happens to be at the access point when I get there to see what I can learn. Worst case scenario (and this actually sounds quite appealing to me at the moment) I'll stay two nights on Clover instead of one, and then simply retrace my route back to the access point. It makes it a 'there and back again' trip instead of a loop which I'm not usually a fan of, but it would give me a full day on Clover to relax and enjoy what should hopefully be solitude. And Clover to the car seems easy enough as a single day trip. 

7/27/2017 6:52 pm  #10

I passed through Upper and Lower Spectacle last week.  My notes aren't very favorable for those sites, and indicate that Lower is the worst of the two lakes.  If it's available, you might consider staying on Carcajou Bay.  I think the first site coming from Grand Lake is the best.  I've stayed there once and liked the site.  You might find the area too crowded.  There's another site quite close to the one I stayed on, and another directly across the bay.

I spent May a long weekend on St. Francis a few years ago.  It's a nice lake.  The site has just enough room for a small tent. The portages were no problem, especially as one is along the rail bed.  Plan to get a bit muddy taking out at Rouge Lake going to St. Francis.

I've considered your loop as well, minus staying on a Spectacle, and I probably wouldn't make the trip to St. Francis as part of the loop, but I'd go back to St. Francis for another long weekend any time.

7/29/2017 7:34 am  #11

Bob - check PM

7/29/2017 9:10 am  #12

Uppa... water levels should be higher than normal this year, if the situation around the park is any indication. So the route going through McDonald creek, Clover, Tarn and St. Andrews may well have enough water in it to be navigable. Others have done it so why not...  OTOH I tried paddling up McDonald creel during a dry year once got stopped right away. I'd be interested in how you do getting to Clover, I might be giving it a try myself at some point.

7/29/2017 1:27 pm  #13

Thanks for the info folks. Lower Spectacle was never somewhere I really wanted to camp, but I thought I was going to be getting to the park late afternoon and didn't want to push it. As it turns out I'll be able to get away earlier, so I moved my first day booking to Guthrie. 

As to the rest of the trip, I'm going for it as planned. As usual I'll be posting video trip reports, but there seems to be a decent amount of interest on the route so I'll post something when I get back about how it went. 

7/31/2017 11:00 pm  #14

The big question to those that have been.......any fish???

8/01/2017 12:46 am  #15

Guthrie is a nice little lake.  The 1950 from Mcdonald Cr to Turcotte is exactly as described on Jeffs map, and virtually impossible to follow with a couple inches of snow on the ground, but I doubt you'll have that problem.lol.  As for the fishing, millions of tiny perch, though when I was there the weather sucked ( see previous statement).

8/01/2017 3:19 am  #16

Getting ready to leave. Thanks again for the info folks. Chuck, I already dealt with snow on portages once this year, so I'll be happy not to encounter any on this trip.. ;)

8/01/2017 7:17 am  #17

Hi Uppa I've been to all of the  lakes above Upper and lower Spectacle use to have trout when I was kid some 30 years ago but I doubt there are any now I have caught trout in Clover St Francis has nice trout in it but I have only fished it in the spring Mcdonald creek has some small Specs. but the trick for Mcdonald is the portage if you can find it the marker for the portage is not very visible from Carcaju Creek and the portage is mostly muck 4 to 6 inches  have a great trip
Shawn G    

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.