You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2017 8:37 am  #1

Portage Trip - Achray/Wenda/Carcajou/Upper & Lower Spectacle

Does anyone have any advice regarding the best route. We are 4 people/2 canoes planning a 3-4 night trip from Achray into the Upper Spectacle/Wenda Lake area and are debating the 3.5km portage from Grand Lake to Wenda Lake and then down and out through Carcajou Bay for a bit of a loop or just coming in through Carcajou Bay and likely back out he way we came (likely won't be intent on a 3.5km portage followed at the end of the trip, albeit we would be lighter). Planning for an early October trip.

Does anyone have any advice about the 3.5km portage from Achray to Wenda? Some of us are rookie portagers and others haven't undertaken one in years.

Thanks
Lewis72

7/26/2017 3:09 pm  #2

Re: Portage Trip - Achray/Wenda/Carcajou/Upper & Lower Spectacle

Go in and out through Carcjou Bay.  The portage over the hill into Wenda is not a beginner's portage.  But the Upper Spectacle to Little Carcajou portage is no fun either.  It's not bad from Upper Spectacle to the beaver pond but then it gets rough, especially if you portage around the pond.

All through that area you need to be alert for poison ivy.

7/27/2017 7:29 pm  #3

Re: Portage Trip - Achray/Wenda/Carcajou/Upper & Lower Spectacle

I went through that area two weeks ago.  Just to give you an idea, my travel time from Grand through the Spectacles, and Little Carcajou to Wenda was just under 4 hours.  That includes a stop for lunch, and a little exploring.  I travel pretty fast, and all the portages were single carry.  I haven't done the portage from Grand to Wenda, but just to put my travel times in perspective, I did do the 4985m portage from Green Leaf to Grand and it took me 1:30 wheres Jeff's Map suggests 1:50.  For the 3950m it suggests 1:45 so it must be a tougher trail.  The Greenleaf portage is an access road for the power line so it's pretty smooth except for one rocky section.  I do think my travel time from Grand to Wenda was more inline with what Jeff's Map suggests, but my time includes all stops.

I'd be cautious about attempting that 3.5km portage, especially as a first portage, unless you're certain you have a manageable amount of gear to do a single carry otherwise a 2hr portage becomes a 5hr+ portage.  It might make more sense to come in via Carcajou and see how those portages go.  If you feel up to it, you can attempt the 3.5km portage on the way out (lighter load), otherwise head back the way you came.  You could also try a "practice portage" at home before you go. Load up a pack and throw a canoe on your shoulders and see how it feels.

All those shorter portages going to Wenda have some mean sections, and an increasing amount of poison ivy on them as you get towards Wenda.

Honestly, the sites on the Spectacles, and Little Carcajou aren't great.  The site on Wenda is at the cabin.  You might find doing a loop from Grand --> Stratton --> High Falls --> Cascades --> Baron Canyon --> Opalescent --> High Falls --> St. Andrews --> Stratton --> Grand a more enjoyable trip.  You could even cut out the Grand/Stratton part and start at Bringham.  There's lots of portaging, though much more manageable, and would see part of the Baron Canyon, and could detour to High Falls.  The trip is also much more flexible.  If you're struggling you can shorten things up on the fly (don't go to High falls, or don't go down the Cascades), or if you're making good time you could take the scenic route.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.