You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/24/2017 12:42 pm  #1

Basin Lake - Weekend Trip

This isn't much of a trip report - but some info on the campsites (as I found it hard to find any)

We did go for 4 days - did some fishing, caught 3 pike, 1 bass, my buddy said one at least pike swam near his canoe that was fairly big.   Also did the High Falls trail - it was worth it.  Bugs we were bad. 

Some generic info on the camps using the PCI Map
1) Island Site, Pretty much the same as in the PCI Report. There is a nice view overlooking the lake on the south side of the island, which also could be an additional tent pad location.   (There was a fire pit up there at one time also)

2)  Decent site and a solid #2 choice if the Island is taken.  Didn't take a good look for tent pad locations.

3 & 4) Large sites right where you park.  Car Camping in the Algonquin interior.  Flat. Lots of tent space.

5) Interesting site, but it looks like a fire ran though the site a few years ago, no medium sized growth, trucks of larger trees look scared from a fire.  Exposed on South, East and North sides on the point.  Lots of ferns and campsite probably hasn't been used in a while.

6) If this site was located on any other lake, it would be great.  Lots of trees, protected on both sides by large hills and lots of flat spots for tents.   But you are literally 20 feet from an active logging road.  

Bonus)  If you take the logging road from campsite 6 - not even 50 meters south there is an old campsite.  overgrown with ferns so not super old, but still visible firepit and all.  We sort of saw a landing on the water near where you would go up to it.  

Was wondering if there was anymore history on this lake?  Older maps with more campsites?   When did that possible fire happen on campsite 5? 

7/24/2017 1:26 pm  #2

Re: Basin Lake - Weekend Trip

Great information - Basin is on my To-Do list and up until your post the only info I had on it was 'Aim for the island site'.

Thanks for the report!

8/01/2017 8:52 pm  #3

Any pictures from the trip? Also how long did the home take at high falls?

8/01/2017 9:39 pm  #4

There's a tertiary road that goes up the east side of the lake and runs all the way to Clover. Also an old campsite between sites 2 and 3 on the east shore.

8/02/2017 7:27 am  #5

interesting factoid. I read somewhere that Basin Lake is the only lake in the park that Northern Pike were naturally found.

8/03/2017 3:07 pm  #6

Monty wrote:

Any pictures from the trip? Also how long did the home take at high falls?

No pictures, I forgot my camera at home. 
I just moved into my new house a few weeks before and felt completely unorganized for this trip! 

We canoed to campsite number 6 and left the canoes there and walked, we figured about 3-4 hours?  Could have felt like longer because the bugs were terrible! 

MartinG wrote:

There's a tertiary road that goes up the east side of the lake and runs all the way to Clover. Also an old campsite between sites 2 and 3 on the east shore.

We actually walked a little bit of it to the south of the number 2 campsite.  We were attempting to find any remains of the old fire tower.  Gave up when it was clear this was going along the lake,  had we know it went to Clover we may have made a day trip of it. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.