You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2017 9:43 am  #1

RAV4 canoe rack tilt

a family hand-me-down handed me a Toyota RAV4  -SUVish.
I'm having an unexpected problem using the Factory-standard roof rack to carry canoe. No matter where I position the racks and canoe, the canoe ends up with its nose tilted slightly upwards. Not dramatically but it does seem like too much and gas mileage seems horrible (it must be catching wind).
The root of issue seems to be that the car's roof slopes downward  front to rear.

Are there any solutions short of buying a new roof rack system? Failing that, what is the simplest & cheapest (but safe) solution?
Can I prop the rear slightly higher on foam?
Can I but a different cross-beam which would clamp higher on the existing rails?

It seems crazy to replace everything.

Ideas?
I have MEC and Sail stores in town, but thought some non-sales advice would be a good idea.

Thanks!!

7/12/2017 10:38 am  #2

Re: RAV4 canoe rack tilt

bheard wrote:

a family hand-me-down handed me a Toyota RAV4 -SUVish.
I'm having an unexpected problem using the Factory-standard roof rack to carry canoe. No matter where I position the racks and canoe, the canoe ends up with its nose tilted slightly upwards. Not dramatically but it does seem like too much and gas mileage seems horrible (it must be catching wind).
The root of issue seems to be that the car's roof slopes downward front to rear.

The car roof on our Honda Fit also slopes downward from front to rear but I don't see a sharp increase in fuel consumption while carrying a canoe.  I suspect that somehow leveling the canoe is not going to make as much difference as you  think it will.

7/12/2017 11:04 am  #3

I had a downward slope on my Yaris.... but on the RAV4 it's the opposite. The nose is slightly higher.... this seems like a bigger problem.
-or maybe not.

7/12/2017 11:07 am  #4

Hi Bheard,

I would think that a set of foam blocks like those in the link below might accomplish what you desire.  The key is that these have two channels off-set by 90 degrees so that you could fit one channel over the vehicle rack and the other in the gunwales of the canoe.  If that doesn't provide enough elevation to level the canoe (after conducting some measurements with a line level to determine just how much of a bump you need) a second option would be to get the foam blocks with just one channel.  Those would provide an extra inch or two of height to the stern compared to the two-channel variety.

I know my gas mileage decreases by between 10 and 20% when traveling with the canoe compared to without it.  I wouldn't expect you'll see too much worse than that with an "unlevel" canoe, but it should cut through the wind a little better and certainly look "right".

https://www.rei.com/product/662054/riverside-car-top-universal-canoe-carrier

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.