You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2017 12:30 pm  #1

how many people by law are allowed on a interior site?

how many campers are allowed to stay on a interior campsite at one time each night
    i have searched around and can not find the proper numbers and the park phone lines are always busy now. 
 i thought the number was 9 or 11?     thanks

7/06/2017 12:36 pm  #2

Re: how many people by law are allowed on a interior site?

I believe the limit is 9 at one time.  It has been that, historically.

7/06/2017 12:37 pm  #3

yup, 9 it is per the Friends of Algonquin site...4. Individuals per Campsite/Party Size LimitWithout limits, campsites would soon deteriorate and surrounding vegetation would be destroyed. The number of people permitted to camp at one campsite in the Park backcountry is limited to nine individuals on their site. In principle, larger groups may travel and eat together, but they must break up to camp and should plan their trips accordingly. 

7/06/2017 12:39 pm  #4

9 on  a car campground site,, 11 on a interior site,  and three tents. no exceptions unless the campers are special needs.,,,  i just got off the phone from da park

Last edited by swedish pimple (7/06/2017 12:40 pm)

7/06/2017 2:33 pm  #5

swedish pimple wrote:

9 on  a car campground site,, 11 on a interior site,  and three tents. no exceptions unless the campers are special needs.,,,  i just got off the phone from da park

I'd have to question that the individual you were talking to really knew what they were talking about.   Car campsites have had a limit of 6 people and interior sites a limit of 9 people since I started going to Algonquin on a regular basis in 1985.  In this age of heightened environmental concerns it would seem very odd to suddenly increase the limit on interior sites to 11.  A lot of campsites cannot comfortably accommodate 9 people let alone 11.

The limit of 9 people on an interior campsite is likely why youth camp groups usually consist of three canoes with three people in each canoe.  School groups tend to be quite large and should be using multiple sites.  The school group involved with the recent drowning consisted of around 33 youth and six adults so they would have had to be spread across 5 campsites to be legal.

7/06/2017 3:39 pm  #6

From the official website at .. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/fees-developed-campground.php

Developed Campground Fees

Camping permits allow for overnight stays at one of Algonquin's developed campgrounds.

Maximum of 6 people and 1 vehicle per campsite.

Fro
m the official website at .. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/fees-backcountry.php

Backcountry Camping Fees

Permits allow for overnight stays in Algonquin's backcountry via canoe routes or backpacking trails.

Maximum of 9 people per backcountry campsite.

Regarding the number of tents on a backcountry campsite, the latest update I received was on July 6th, 2013 and was recorded on .. 
http://www.network54.com/Forum/352882/message/1373151909

And from the archives of the ABR website ... http://www.algonquinadventures.com/ABRarchived/index.html

Amendment To Regulation Limiting Campsite Tent-CountVerification has been received from Greg Wake [Supervisor, Provincial Park Management] that in January of 2011 the tent-count restriction on interior campsites had been lifted. The amendment was Ontario Regulation 22/11 .. made under the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserve Act 2006 (Amending O. Reg. 347/07).

7. (1) Subsection 19 (1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out campground camp-site, interior camp-site or unserviced camp-site and substituting campground camp-site or unserviced camp-site. (Ref.: www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/source/regs/english/2011/elaws_src_regs_r11022_e.htm)

Mr Wake confirmed the amendment and explained that regulations forbidding cutting or damaging any living tree or other plants would provide adequate regulation against degradation of campsites.

Please quote the URL source of any purported change to regulations!

7/06/2017 4:48 pm  #7

The Ontario Parks online reservation system also limits you to 9 per site for interior and 6 for car camping.

7/06/2017 4:58 pm  #8

i talked to debbie,, july 6th @705 633 5572,,
 i questioned her about the numbers as stated in the above posting (yellow canoe), that the interior numbers seemed high to me. she was adamant and laughing at me . and related to me that these regs have been in place  for over   25 years.
    1/    so what  are the numbers  for people on a  car campgrounds site and interior sites. do kids count?
    2/   as for shelter/tents what are the numbers for that  car camping and interior sites,, the reason is that some punk kid ranger wanted to write us up because we had one tent/shelter over our limit while camped at mew lake. according to him? we packed up got a refund and went crown land camping.

Last edited by swedish pimple (7/06/2017 7:34 pm)

7/06/2017 7:41 pm  #9

Just 'cus Debbie's been there a while doesn't mean she's right . Conviction is rarely related to accuracy, I have found. My impression has always been 9, from reading about. How many tents did you have up?

7/09/2017 2:55 pm  #10

three tents and one dining shelter and tarps.

7/10/2017 7:20 pm  #11

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/park_management/algonquin-park-rules-and-regulations.php

• No more than six people are permitted on a campground site unless they make up a single-family group of parents and children.
  • A maximum of three pieces of shelter equipment are permitted on a site.

The three shelter limit also applies to backcountry.

From experience, kids count against the limit even if they are free (less than 6).

7/11/2017 11:37 am  #12

"A maximum of three pieces of shelter equipment are permitted on a site." .. the context of this is for drive-in campgrounds.

Amendment To Regulation Limiting Campsite Tent-CountVerification has been received from Greg Wake [Supervisor, Provincial Park Management] that in January of 2011 the tent-count restriction on interior campsites had been lifted. The amendment was Ontario Regulation 22/11 .. made under the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserve Act 2006 (Amending O. Reg. 347/07).

7. (1) Subsection 19 (1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out campground camp-site, interior camp-site or unserviced camp-site and substituting campground camp-site or unserviced camp-site. (Ref.: www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/source/regs/english/2011/elaws_src_regs_r11022_e.htm)

Mr Wake confirmed the amendment and explained that regulations forbidding cutting or damaging any living tree or other plants would provide adequate regulation against degradation of campsites.

BTW I have just emailed Greg Wake, requesting that he reply with the current status of the Algonquin Park Interior (backcountry) tent-count issue.

7/11/2017 5:21 pm  #13

First of all, Debbie should review the policies of Algonquin Park because she is not right.

Campground camping (drive in) 6 people and 3 tents, or two tents and one bug shelter, etc. One car per site....extra vehicles means more $$$$ paid for them.

​Interior camping.....9 persons per site with (according to Rangers I have talked to), no limit re tents, hammocks, bug shelters, etc.  Just as long as you don't have more than 9 people sleeping there on any given night.  This is what I think is the current regulations for campgrounds and interior camping sites.

Last edited by boknows (7/11/2017 5:23 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

7/11/2017 6:44 pm  #14

My understanding is the same as boknows's. I think there used to be a tent limit on interior sites but they changed it to just a person limit.

7/12/2017 10:01 am  #15

Officially its 9 per site as mentioned earlier.
A couple years back we went in to Ragged lake with 4 adults and 7 kids under the age of 13 and we had 3 tents. The ranger came by and chatted us up, we had 2 permits and he looked at both of them and went on his merry way.
All depends on who you get I guess.

Last edited by Abe Froman (7/12/2017 10:14 am)

7/16/2017 8:24 pm  #16

I'll agree that a lot has to do with the ranger you end up dealing with.

I do have another data point to add as I just got back from a trip.  The "Rules and Regulations" thing they have you read and sign before sticking it to you permit lists "Only three pieces of shelter equipment are allowed per site" and "Only 9 peoples are allowed per site in the park interior".

7/17/2017 8:39 am  #17

@ "UpTheCreek"  

Which access-point office was using that sticker .. "Only three pieces of shelter equipment are allowed per site" ?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.