You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/09/2015 7:56 pm  #1

Best Buy

Before leaving for our big trip this summer, I got a great tip on an affordable piece of gear. I'm interested in your finds. Here are the parameters:

- something you bought that was good value
- something not on sale (This isn't a 'I'm so lucky I scored this' thread)
- it can be an inexpensive item or it can be a more expensive item worth the money

My find was recommended on myccr. Home Hardware sells a round basin that is 2.95 made by Great Value. It fits in the top of a 60 L barrel. We used 2 of them for dishes and for baking. They were awesome.

9/10/2015 9:01 am  #2

Re: Best Buy

We bought a pot cozy (I prefer to call it The Snuggler! It's important to say it with the exclamation point for the appropriate effect) at MEC for $8 before our trip this year. It's one of those weird pieces of gear that I never thought I needed till I had it.

I'm sure some people here have been using one for years but for those are have no idea what I'm talking about: it's essentially a sleeping bag for your pot. You can heat something on the stove and put it in The Snuggler! and it will stay hot. I like it so we can have that second cup of coffee in the am without restarting the stove. It's also great for saving fuel when cooking dehydrated meals (bring to boil, remove from stove and put in The Snuggler! Your meal will continue to cook and you'll save fuel). 

We also switched from a pump water filter to a "squeeze" water filter. I think my husband got the Sawyer Mini online for $25. We put some grommets in the dirty water bag  et voila! quick gravity filter. Saves us lots of pumping time!

9/10/2015 11:15 am  #3

Not a 'best buy' but pot cozies are super easy to make and can be really cheap to do as well.

I bought a inexpensive windshield sun screen at Dollarama. It's made from the same thing as reflectix. That and some foil tape is all you need.

Word of warning - put the colourful plastic side out on the cozie even if the colours are offensive...lol. The plastic can melt when facing hot pots.

If all you ever do is rehydrate Mountain House then just measure a package and cut to size, leaving a flap at the top to cover over the folded pack top. If you want to get fancy add a strip across the front to hold the top flap down.

I made mine to fit my Trangia pots. Simply start with a circle a little bigger than the bottom of the pot. Then take another piece the same height as the pot and the length of the circumferance. Using small pieces of tape, join the side to the bottom. Repeat to make a lid but cut the circle a little more generously so it will fit over the bottom.

I need to dig out the materials and make a lid for my frypan/lid for the trangia set. I realized I had nothing big enough to make a lid for the frypan when I was making bannock on the last trip.

My pot cozy fits inside the trangia when it's packed so it's all in one place and takes up no extra room.

Maybe it's better than a 'best buy'...lol.

9/10/2015 9:08 pm  #4

+1 for the Sawyer Mini. it's my go-to filter when I'm soloing now. I like the versatility - gravity method @CanoeClaire, squeeze bag method, connect to a bottle or hydration bladder tube or drink directly from the water source using the straw attachment. Best 25.00 I ever spent on gear!

Dave

9/11/2015 5:07 am  #5

+2 on the sawer mini.  I use a 6lt drom bag attached to the filter. Hang it high and it flows really good. I also have a mini shower head attachment that I use with the drom bag. This is used without the filter attached.

9/11/2015 8:54 am  #6

Recommended by a friend on another forum.. 

Speedy Sharp.

Best 8 bucks you can spend. Won't give you a waterstone edge, but who's bringing a full size waterstone camping anyway? this little guy will get your knife very sharp for feild sharpening.

Reg $20 but every few weeks it goes on sale for 8 bucks. Grab one and you won't regret it.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/speedy-sharp-0578006p.html#.VfLc2xFViko

9/12/2015 9:09 am  #7

Fifty cents, used food pails at the bulk food store... probably the best bang for the buck (well, half a buck) out there.

These are often found free after being thrown out but may have held something toxic or they smell bad (argh, pickled herring) so those won't be good for keeping water near the campfire. Mine held almond butter. They aren't light and are bulky but great when weight isn't an issue.

Other uses include, emergency bailer, seat at campsites and ports where there isn't anything better to sit on, upside-down stand for candles in the tent (they need to be higher when reading), lunch box.

9/17/2015 5:34 pm  #8

Cool ideas so far. Anybody else?

9/17/2015 7:04 pm  #9

Not super cheap but a key item for canoe tripping is a rope ratchet. Makes hanging the food barrel or bag so much easier.  Mine will hold 250-300lbs or something.

Last edited by dansnowball1 (9/17/2015 7:05 pm)

9/18/2015 8:15 am  #10

One more purchase this year that was worth every penny was our Alite camp chairs. Last year we did 5 very wet days in Killarney. Our friends had these camp chairs and we originally scoffed at them (why bother, it's added bulk and weight you dont need! Why are you so soft!, etc). But, by the end of the trip, we were insanely jealous that they had a dry place to sit while we squatted under the tarp or accepted the reality of a totally soaked and/or cold bum.

We went with the Alite Monarch chairs ($70 at MEC) and really like them. You have to balance with your legs as they only have 2 legs but they are easy to relax it, they are light-weight and pack well. 

While they make it so worthwhile when it's rainy and wet, they are great in all weather:

9/18/2015 9:38 am  #11

You're right about having a chair with you - best idea ever! 1 camping trip without one a couple of years ago convinced me not to go without one.

I first bought a Helinox from MEC but then found a different chair called a Joey - got it at AO for the same price as you paid for the Alite.

I tried the 2 leg chairs a couple of years ago but with age and balance problems I went for the 4 legged variety.

The Joey is the same weight at the Helinox but the seat is about 3 inches higher so it's easier to get out of.

No matter which chair one chooses, having one with you on a trip is priceless when it comes to comfort!

9/18/2015 9:49 am  #12

Still loving that Helinox you sold me Beth! it's come on EVERY trip since I picked it up from you. Couldn't be happier with it and I'm glad you found a more comfortable option to work with. thanks again

9/18/2015 10:04 am  #13

beware helinox chairs breed helinox tables. 

9/18/2015 2:16 pm  #14

I'd be curious to get some feedback on the best Hatchet for your buck. Any suggestions!?

9/18/2015 2:24 pm  #15

Reading by natural candle light at night is pleasant and as long as you're careful with the open flame, the candles warm up the tent on cold nights besides. IKEA sells these long-burning stearin candles for about fifty cents each, in a 20-pack. There are cheaper candles around but they're most likely made from paraffin wax which produces <cough> soot, not what you want in a tent.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60191916/

PS...  eg. IKEA's tea light candles, the little ones in a metal cup are made with paraffin. Even so, some backpacking websites say tea candles can be used at night and campers have been using them. The UCO lamp candles IIRC, are made from beeswax which is also said to be clean-burning.

Last edited by frozentripper (9/18/2015 2:33 pm)

9/18/2015 2:50 pm  #16

Estwing for wood, Gerber for combined wood, fish and game processing.

9/25/2015 10:35 am  #17

The last few years Ive been using firestarters called ZIP, they are individual wrapped,about 2" by 1", extremely light, and burn quite long. They are available at Canadian Tire in the BBQ section. A box of 48 cost about $7.00 . They do not deteriate either. Best thing I ever run into.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.