You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2015 12:09 pm  #1

It finally happened...

My Wife and I were crossing Grand Lake Sunday afternoon while returning from Stratton after a 3 day trip.
The wind was a bit brisk but nothing to concern myself nor the worst I've paddled in.

However, as we were 'surfing' the small waves back to Achray about 400 metres or so from shore, she shifted her weight as 2 rollers came and she lost her center of balance and well, over she went, then myself and all of our gear.
It happened very slowly and incredibly, we were easily able to slip on our vests (yup, we just took them off at the portage before and didn't even think of putting them on. Big mistake we usually wear them).  The only loss were 2 fishing rods and oddly my tent poles slid RIGHT out of my well packed bag.  I was able to right the canoe and another boat was kind enough to assist and held the far side of the canoe while we both got back in.  

All I can say is, many lessons learned while being dumped not close to shore.
1. If you're not one to wear your PFD well just do it we were lucky for sure.
2. If you want to keep anything make sure it's PROPERLY secured in your boat/gear.
3. When flipping the canoe over while in the water, make sure someone is close so it doesn't get away from you due to wind.
4. you can't swim well while holding onto all of your gear.

I'm sure there's more and I'm not that prideful to admit we dumped nor our mistakes.  It would have certainly been a different story had it been May with cooler waters and/or if we were on a remote lake trying to dry our gear to settle in for the night.

Just thought this might spark some great preventative and future suggestions for those to try and prepare for such an event.

Cheers,
JB

9/08/2015 12:48 pm  #2

Re: It finally happened...

Glad everyone is OK!

I have only gone over once and it was at shore getting in. No real damage or lost items and no one was there to see me do it, so maybe it never happened... 

I look at it this way though. With the amount of trips in every year it isnt a matter of IF but WHEN I will go over in the middle of a lake. No idea what will cause it but I just assume it will at some point and plan accordingly.

I purchased a set of dry pants and jacket that I hate putting on but wear when temperatures warrant. Purchased this spring and wore a few times but will likely have them on again sometime in the fall.

Everything in my boat will float for quite a while except my fishing rod and it is secured when not in use.

There was another thread on here about whether to lash your equipment to the canoe or not and I won't rewrite it but I think it was MartinG's response that was pretty much 100% in line with what I do.

No lashing of equipment for me. Save yourself and the canoe first . Right yourself then worry about going out and collecting your gear. Stuff will float a long time. 

I'm a very good swimmer but always wear my jacket. Even when all is calm and it might be really hot out etc. You never know and IMO the biggest risk outside of cold water is hitting your head on something  if you go over and not having your jacket on.

Last edited by ShawnD (9/08/2015 12:57 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/08/2015 1:02 pm  #3

Thanks for sharing your experience! We paddled out of Rain Lake yesterday and the wind was certainly straining us.

I'm curious, I know there was a big convo about it a while ago on the thread: How did you have your gear tied in? Does all your gear float or would it sink if it wasn't tied? How did you flip the canoe back over with the gear in it?

We typically tie in our gear (loosely but not too loose) when it's windy. We pack in backpacking packs, not canoe packs and so I doubt my loaded pack would float. I sort of think we should dump it on the last day of a hot trip just to practice but the 4 hour drive home as always stopped me. But, some discomfort is probably worth the experience in controlled conditions. 

9/08/2015 2:41 pm  #4

Most upsets happen for no reason in calm water.. Not quite really but that is when your guard is down. When the waves are up we typically pay attention.

I only tie in what will sink. Like chairs. Packs will float. And never anything on a short line. Soloing a lot I am afraid of entrapment in a line. It happened to me once.

Rescue is first people then boat and packs. We dumped in Superior had our packs loose and were able to empty the boat ( alone. We would have accepted help but there wasn't any) and get in and then went around to pick up stuff.

My other big flip was on a solo in Temagami..again gather it all up.

And one in Wabakimi when we missed a portage ran a chute and crashed headlong into a rock ejecting everything,

No I am not a klutz, I spend some ten weeks a year in a canoe on trips and that is accumulated over some fifty years.

Every year we do a test capsize at home to make sure we are still up to rescue and to oil up the machinery so to speak.

9/08/2015 2:49 pm  #5

JB
Yes I agree wear the PDF all the time because you never know.  I don't tie my stuff down. But I know my barrels float. My other gear except for fishing rods are in dry bags in a backpack so they will float. 

Kayamedic  I like your idea about a test roll in the canoe.  Infact I need to do some self rescue rolls in my kayak this year to keep me in tune.

9/08/2015 4:30 pm  #6

I solo with my dog 95% of the time (spent over 30 nights so far this year in Algonquin)! I have absolutely no swimming ability whatsoever. I literally can't even do the doggy paddle. I wear my Salus PFD 100% of the time, even when I arrive at a campsite with a rocky shore that drops in depth fast I wear it while unloading the canoe and bringing it on shore. I have never flipped a canoe nor do I plan on it! A few times while getting in the boat at the start of a trip my dog might ove in a certain way while I am tranfering my weight causing some close calls. but literally right on shore so nothing dangerous.

9/08/2015 10:08 pm  #7

A couple of weeks ago I was headed to the portage to Pen lake from Rock when we (me and my 11 year old daughter) passed a group of 6 young people in 3 full canoes headed the opposite way. After saying hi as we paddled by, one of the guys in the canoe says to his friends, " who wears a life jacket while paddling?"  Well we do and it seems alot on this board do as well.  Better safe than sorry.

9/09/2015 6:59 am  #8

I'm glad you chose to share this story.  I think it is through dialogue that we all improve.  

This summer my partner and I stopped at the Brent store on our trip.  While I was waiting outside with our dog a cottager and I started chatting and he invited us back for coffee.  Over the course of the conversation, they told us that they had rescued a group the day before.  The situation was a bit more serious than flipping so close to an exit point but probably would have concluded without serious injury.However, it did lead us to discuss how important it is for us as a community to encourage everyone to seek ongoing training and think about things like PFDs and weather conditions.

I worked in whitewater for years.  I still teach a bit.  I also guide a few flatwater trips and teach basic canoeing from time to time.  So I have a bias.  However, going out into the park, I often see things that make we wish more people would take lessons.  On the same trip we saw a soloist with very little boat control.  I love to solo.  I get the appeal.  I just think as soloists we need to continue to work on technique. Lessons really are not cost prohibitive.  Everytime I take a course even after all these years, I learn something.

And I agree with the above postings that everyone should certainly practice flipping their boat and getting back in.

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (9/09/2015 7:00 am)

9/09/2015 7:39 am  #9

I routinely have my beginners flip too.. The purpose? Not to make them wet but so they know the sensation and the need to stay calm.  Yes I have had entrapment issues. One this summer was with a pair of pants that got caught on a screw.. The owner in the pants flipped out and it took a bit of time to calm him so he could think about what actually was preventing him from getting out of the upside down predicament.
Pants? Who Knew?

My big issue with heavy boots is not entrapment though if pants can do it anything can but for the fact that it takes a lot out of people to swim with them on. Energy that could be used elsewhere.

I agree about lessons..  Lessons with homework and study notes ( people forget alot when they get home)are very valuable. Some can learn from DVD's but those do not show you what you are doing.. Sometimes its different fron what you think you are doing.

9/09/2015 2:49 pm  #10

Wow! Love the responses and this group with great points and a few tips.
I'd definitely recommend everyone to try a deep water recovery, you don't have to put everything in your canoe and get sopping wet to do it, although I would see a bonus to this, it isn't necessary. 
My usual paddling buddies all want to do this next year now after I told them my experience.

I had only read about how to flip a canoe, and at least I had that.  I'm also super lucky my wife is a calm person. We both just helped eachother in the mild pickle we were in.

CanoeClaire - we didn't have our gear tied, and if anything I, like the others wouldn't necessarily recommend that.  It does all float.  I could see the paddles being an issue here if it's just floating around, then trying to get to it/see it might be an issue after getting back in the boat.
- To flip the boat, I used the food barrel to prop under one side of the yoke/side of the canoe, I got towards the middle and just sort of hoisted and flipped the canoe.  It actually wasn't hard, nor seemed to require much energy.

This is exactly why I wanted to share my story such great feedback here.

JB

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.