You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2015 7:26 am  #1

Chinook Guide Tarp from Tent City . . .

Has anyone used the Chinook Guides Tarp offered by Tent City?

I'm looking at replacing my 5+yr old poly tarp with something a little better and more robust, with more rigging options, but can't justify springing for a sil-nylon ultralight (also have durability concerns), so am looking for something in between.

https://tentcityoutfitters.com/p/1118/chinook-guide-all-purpose-tarp-12-x-96

Amazon.com lists the shipping weight at 1.8lbs, so it's about 1/2 the price, and 3/4lb lighter than a MEC Guide tarp for about the same square footage . . .

I'd be ordering and having it shipped, so no chance to stop by the store and check it out in person.

Appreciate any input!

9/08/2015 7:54 am  #2

Re: Chinook Guide Tarp from Tent City . . .

Yep on the Wabakimi Project.. The teams are out for three months and use the Chinook tarps. They tend to fail dramatically in high winds and sometimes they went through three or four a season.  
Weight is reasonable.

Its a balance of durability frequency of use and price.

Personally I went the other way and bought a Cooke Custom Sewing 10x14 sil nylon ten years ago. We use it about two dozen times a year. No rips, no holes. I tend to regard price as in price per use.

9/13/2015 8:34 am  #3

I agree with kayamedic.

I had one that was great until my 3rd trip of the year I had it piched in some high winds and it failed bad with a rip up from a grommet. I didnt even have it pitched very tight and did have some shock cord as a tensioner/buffer for the wind on the guylines and it still failed.

I got my money back but I hate any piece of gear that will pail like that in the field when used properly.

just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

9/13/2015 6:19 pm  #4

thank you both for the feedback

hmmm, my usage rate isn't that high, but still, for $50 I'd expect more . . . 

I've used my "medium" quality poly rectangle for 6 or so years (shock cord loops have prolonged its life for sure), but not more than likely 10 -12 days per year . . . weight really isnt that bad, but I find the rigging options limited, and bulk is a pain, especially sopping wet like this morning, ugh!

Soggy morning in the park for sure!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.