LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2017 6:32 am  #35


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Unfortunately the request will probably be successful eventually. The rationale for FOI requests is to provide people information that the government is holding. The context of why they want it is not particularly important. It will be anonymized with personal information blacked out but the lakes camped on are not personal information.

 

8/16/2017 6:53 am  #36


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

But the request is specifically not anonymous. It's 'where did Solopaddler camp?' If the report hides his name, the request was still based on his name.

I don't actually know how these things work, I'm just saying that seems a little invasive. Particularly with no appropriate justification.

 

8/16/2017 12:11 pm  #37


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

That may be how the government gets around this. They may tell the person that they are only willing to release all of the permits issued for a certain time frame and names will be removed from them. if all of the permits are released with personal information redacted, the information anonymizes itself.

 

8/16/2017 1:06 pm  #38


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

I disagree.
The poster is a professional fishing guide and has used the trip experience for commercial applications. The trip log is on his web page and he is using his fishing success in a publicly supported park to further his own business interests.
 He fished in a Government owned and operated Park, which is supported by tax dollars from every person in Ontario. Interior camping and tripping in Algonquin is certainly not funded through camping fees, it is funded through tax dollars.
So a commercial fishing guide uses a government resource to catch some of the most elusive and prized fish in the world and then uses his success to further his own interests. I have no problem with anyone asking and receiving information about where he fished/camped because he morphed the experience into a commercial purpose.
You want to keep your best fishing lakes secret, don’t use government resources to further your own personal commercial interests.

 
 

 

8/16/2017 1:22 pm  #39


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Fish eater wrote:

You want to keep your best fishing lakes secret, don’t use government resources to further your own personal commercial interests.
 

 
So, because he used "government resources" to further his own commercial interests, the reasonable thing to do is tell everyone with a with a rod in their hand where the honey hole is, and effectively destroy it.

Common man, smarten up.

I can see where you're your opinion stems from, but your logic is akin to a toddler stomping on the ground and demanding to know where mom hid the cookie jar.

 

8/16/2017 1:42 pm  #40


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

So we start right with the personal insults, nice.
Mom is not funded by Government resources, Algonquin park is.
Who says fishing the lake will destroy it? Folks have been going into Algonquin interior for decades, is the fishing destroyed? Following your logic all fishing in the interior should be banned to preserve the pristine nature of the fish in the lakes. Its 2-3 days into the interior and since the folks putting that effort in generally practice C&R I don't see the problem.


 

 

8/16/2017 2:01 pm  #41


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Using an analogy to dispel your faulty logic is not a personal insult. It's not like I'm calling you slow, our out of touch. That would be closer to a personal insult.

The difference is in decades past, someone couldn't hop onto Google and punch in "trophy trout lakes in Algonquin" and be pointed directly to a singular lake with pictures to boot. The cultivation of information was harder. If you're honestly saying that you don't think posting the specifics of where these brookies were caught will have any effect on the lake as a fishery, you may indeed be deserving of one of those insults.

Your entire history on this forum is gloating and stirring the pot with pictures of fish you eat, so spare me from your catch and release throne bud.

 

8/16/2017 4:20 pm  #42


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

I only have photos of fish I eat, because when I C&R the fish do not leave the water.
I do C&R but I also do Catch & Kill & Eat, call me a meat fisherman, it won't be the first time its happened on this Board. I love the taste of a laker or square tail from the frying pan.

My opinion has not changed, and neither has yours and I will continue to respectfully disagree with you.

I would rather be fishing.

 

8/17/2017 6:45 pm  #43


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Fish eater wrote:

You want to keep your best fishing lakes secret, don’t use government resources to further your own personal commercial interests.

I suppose Kevin Callan shouldnt paddle government owned parks and write+sell books about it..

This line and logic makes me think that you're the one who initiated the FOI request.
 

Last edited by Peek (8/17/2017 6:48 pm)

 

8/18/2017 1:20 am  #44


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Fish eater wrote:

I disagree.
The poster is a professional fishing guide and has used the trip experience for commercial applications. The trip log is on his web page and he is using his fishing success in a publicly supported park to further his own business interests.
 He fished in a Government owned and operated Park, which is supported by tax dollars from every person in Ontario. Interior camping and tripping in Algonquin is certainly not funded through camping fees, it is funded through tax dollars.
So a commercial fishing guide uses a government resource to catch some of the most elusive and prized fish in the world and then uses his success to further his own interests. I have no problem with anyone asking and receiving information about where he fished/camped because he morphed the experience into a commercial purpose.
You want to keep your best fishing lakes secret, don’t use government resources to further your own personal commercial interests.

 
 

So should every fishing guide on public waters have to divulge their spots to you?  He already told you it was deep in the park.  If you want him to hold your hand, pay the fee. 

 

8/18/2017 9:30 am  #45


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

The opinion I expressed was in regards to the expectation of Privacy that we all enjoy while using the Park.
That right to privacy is protected under law.

My opinion is that the expectation of privacy is diminished if not completely removed if the time spent in the park is used to further a commercial venture.

I did not submit the FOI, frankly don’t care where he fished, I am quite capable of finding my own fishing spots producing large fish or small fish or whatever I am interested in fishing and killing and eating for supper. 

I’d rather be fishing

Last edited by Fish eater (8/18/2017 9:32 am)

 

8/18/2017 10:07 am  #46


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Mike isn't a fishing guide, he runs a magazine profiling fly-in destinations and his site can be found here. If you're ever looking to do a fly-in he's very helpful. 

http://www.canadafishingguide.net/

I can pretty much guarantee he would never take anyone to this lake, and he doesn't do any guiding in Algonquin. He just went on a fishing trip with his son, made a video and shared it on various social media platforms.  It is also worth noting that he's an elite angler, perhaps one of the best in Ontario and it would be very difficult for anybody to replicate his success. 

Last edited by Lenny (8/18/2017 10:08 am)

 

8/19/2017 5:52 am  #47


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Lenny wrote:

Mike isn't a fishing guide, he runs a magazine profiling fly-in destinations and his site can be found here. If you're ever looking to do a fly-in he's very helpful. 

http://www.canadafishingguide.net/

I can pretty much guarantee he would never take anyone to this lake, and he doesn't do any guiding in Algonquin. He just went on a fishing trip with his son, made a video and shared it on various social media platforms.  It is also worth noting that he's an elite angler, perhaps one of the best in Ontario and it would be very difficult for anybody to replicate his success. 

You're right Lenny, pretty sure Mike won't be taking anyone on that trip.  I just couldn't get my head around the idea that someone's spots should be free for all because they do some guiding.

Your second point is also well made.

 

8/19/2017 10:08 am  #48


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

I know the lake he went to and if I could get there myself I would but I'm to fat and out of shape to even tempt  it but if I could I would eat as many as I could while I was there there's nothing like a fresh Spec out of the frying pan
Shawn G

 

8/19/2017 11:53 am  #49


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Sure you do. Stir that pot.

 

8/19/2017 11:57 am  #50


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Don't think I would take a back seat to solopaddler or his young son when it comes to fishing skill. Saw the video and the one on gear and lures and I don't see anything out of this world. I have fished the park for decades with a tackle box a fraction of the size of solopaddler and still done very well. My long time fishing partner does carry a similar sized tackle box and I outfish him the vast majority of the time. 
If Shawn knows the lake ( I don't ) then others must too and it won't be long that others will go there with Shawn's appetite for specks and the fishing will drop a lot . As nice a video as it was to watch , may now look in hind-site to never have posted the video at all. With fishing so good it is better than a fly-in trip , guys will go to any lengths to find the lake and then fish the heck out of it. 
PS Long experience has shown me that if the specks won't bite on my simple rig , then switching to some exotic lure rarely makes a difference. I carry most of the lure types shown . But usually use the same lure the whole trip unless it is lost to a snag . And have never had the situation where another lure is catching the big fish while I get pan fryers. 
Now this may even burst more bubbles , but I use my same rig for bass and pickeral . Good success there too . Same rod , same reel and line too . 

 

 

8/19/2017 12:20 pm  #51


Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Antman if I could lose 40 lbs and quit smoking and get on the tread mill it would be my pleasure to spend 10 days or so on that lake with you

Shawn G

 

Board footera