You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2017 9:36 am  #1

Spring trip pics out of Cedar

I am working on a triplog but I thought I'd share a few pics of my trip last week with my 11 year old son

four inches of snow on day one...

Sunny and warm 3 days later...

My son the Sherpa...

A raging Petawawa...

Cool but calm Catfish L

Anchor Island

Sunset on Burntroot

Sunrise on Burntroot

Brook trout and Bannock for dinner on Burntroot

My son's first lake trout

This is the life!

5/19/2017 10:02 am  #2

Re: Spring trip pics out of Cedar

Looks like you had a great trip!

5/19/2017 10:23 am  #3

Great pics!

Your son is a total trooper. Portaging through snow, carrying a monster pack, catching dinner... when's his first solo? ;)

5/19/2017 1:48 pm  #4

Uppa wrote:

Great pics!

Your son is a total trooper. Portaging through snow, carrying a monster pack, catching dinner... when's his first solo? ;)

LOL! You have no idea! He is so easy going. A pure joy to trip with. Never mind the fact he is totally obsessed with Algonquin.

5/19/2017 2:09 pm  #5

Awesome pics. 

My spring 'trip' was spent at the cottage and I'm definitely missing the camping. 

5/19/2017 2:30 pm  #6

Awesome pics and a great looking trip! Looking forward to the TR!

5/20/2017 5:58 am  #7

Great pictures!  Looked like a great trip.  Like many early spring trips in Algonquin you encountered all 4 of Canadas seasons 😜

5/21/2017 9:10 pm  #8

Well SW that is just awesome!. My guy just turned nine and is itching to go on my spring trip. He's been everywhere in the canoe and caught all kinds of fish of multiple species but he needs to be a bit stronger to handle the spring trip, not just physically but to handle the mental aspect when in bad conditions. Don't want him crying for mom! I'll show him your pics though, He'll be whining to go next year but I think 11 will be it for him too. 

Glad to see you guys got into some fish and at least a day or two of decent wheather. I love the Perley/Burntroot area, so good in spring and if the first group or two, dynamite, but I'm sure you know that!

Cheers,

Moonman.

5/23/2017 8:59 am  #9

That's pretty amazing dude! I can't wait to have kids so I can take them camping.

5/23/2017 11:43 am  #10

Wow that was some fast water, thanks for posting the pics and report and congrats to you and your son on the successful fishing

5/23/2017 2:35 pm  #11

Thank you for all the kind words.   I am about halfway through my formal trip report so will post it as soon as it is complete.

Moonman - I completely understand re: the mental aspect...Mother Nature can be cruel, especially in the spring.  Day one was a tough go for both of us with the snow etc. but we persevered. Nothing seems to phase him (he hides it well if it does ).  This was my son's second spring trip...by about day 3 he had the map out planning next years trip. ;) 

ATVenture - my favourite tripping partners are definitely my kids! 

5/23/2017 4:01 pm  #12

SW reminded me of my Son's first Trip,   sleet all the way down Smoke Lake and like you Sunny and good weather the rest of the trip.     he learned the Hard way ( like most of us )   Jean's aren't the best clothing when they are covered in sleet.    he did catch his first Laker that year and like your Son got '''Hooked" on Springtime in the Park.     

5/25/2017 11:23 pm  #13

Magnificent pictures of the raging river!!

5/28/2017 6:23 am  #14

As a dad who can fully relate to what you guys did, that was awesome.

5/29/2017 1:26 pm  #15

kenny wrote:

SW reminded me of my Son's first Trip,   sleet all the way down Smoke Lake and like you Sunny and good weather the rest of the trip.     he learned the Hard way ( like most of us )   Jean's aren't the best clothing when they are covered in sleet.    he did catch his first Laker that year and like your Son got '''Hooked" on Springtime in the Park.     

LOL!    yes, jeans wouldn't be my first choice in the sleet.   The smile on my sons face when he pulled that laker in was priceless!  

5/29/2017 1:29 pm  #16

oldboyscout wrote:

Magnificent pictures of the raging river!!

It was unbelievable, the amount of water coming over those falls and the sound...incredible.  We could have sat there all day.  I have a short video I will try to post.

5/29/2017 1:40 pm  #17

solopaddler wrote:

As a dad who can fully relate to what you guys did, that was awesome.

Nothing quite like sharing the experience with your kids.   It gives them such a greater appreciation for the world around them.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.