You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2017 11:20 am  #1

Access Point 3 - Magnetawan

I've gone in through this access point exactly once, and then only to spend a single night on Little Eagle. I've never been on Ralph Bice, if you can believe it. So I'm thinking about taking a trip through here this summer, but... the reason I've basically never gone in here is that the surrounding lakes are just too easy to get to. I assume it's busy territory in the summer, and that's not really my thing. I want peace and solitude, and Ralph Bice on July 4th isn't going to be that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly confident I'm not wrong.

However, I'm running out of places to go in Algonquin I haven't been to before, so sooner or later I'm going to have to break this seal. Looking for information on:

David and Mubwayaka Lakes: Anyone stayed on these lakes? Are the campsites on these lakes any good? 

Mubwayaka to Rosebary: Jeff's map warns that the first kilometer of David creek may turn into a portage in low water levels. That creek leads to a 3480m low maintenance port. Anyone been through this route? Any idea of the portage conditions? Are the campsites on Long Bow worth considering, or is Rosebary the place to be?

Rosebary to Queer via the Tim River: Jeff's map warns of beaver dam issues. Considering I'd be going downstream, any particular concerns there? 
I'll then probably go from Queer to Misty, then paddle up the Petawawa to Daisy and then out. Any concerns in early July?

This is sort of the super-tentative plan:

5/18/2017 1:25 pm  #2

Re: Access Point 3 - Magnetawan

I've stayed on Mubwayaka and it's a very nice little lake. I think we stayed on the worse of the two sites because we missed the first one on our way in, but it was perfectly fine. It was fun to have a private lake for the night.

The island site on David looked cool as we passed, but was occupied so we didn't really check it out.

We didn't explore too far up David Creek.

5/18/2017 1:48 pm  #3

I can't believe that a topic has come up that I can offer genuine contribution toward. 

I stayed on David Lake last year, since my real name is David Dontgroandaddy and I wanted to see my personal lake. So what you need to know is that I named the island "David Island".  It may have had a name in the past, but if it did and it wasn't already named David Island, it is now.  Don't be trying to name it Uppa Island or anything like that, I already staked my claim.

Getting to Bice is easy enough.  Very well-worn carries.

Going to David will almost immediately separate you from the herd.  There are two campsites on David, only one reservation is available.  Same on Mubwayaka.

The carry from Ralph Bice to David is 635M or something along those lines.  The terrain isn't bad, but getting up out of Ralph is a heave to get out of the water and up to a landing area.  There's a pretty fair ledge at the waters edge, as in your boat will be a few feet below your feet as you stand there wondering how the bloody hell you're going to get the boat out of the water, and then a quick scramble up 20 feet or so to a landing.  The portage sign is not easily seen.  Just keep following the shoreline behind that island on Ralph Bice and you'll come across it, but keep your eyes peeled.  I found it because I heard somebody else yelping to provide advance warning to animals.  Also, as you paddle behind that island, keep your wits about you.  Painted rock area.

David Lake is a nice place to hang your hat, at least I think so.  Unless there are rangers camping or interlopers you'll have the lake to yourself.  I did not visit the campsite near the portage to Mubwayaka, I don't think it is anything special though.  The site on the island was nice I thought, and there's a nearby mainland area to the east that was pretty open and good for getting firewood.  The landing is on the Mubwayaka portage side, sandy-beach variety.  Nice areas for tents, good open areas, well-protected from prevailing westerlies.  Great fishing/laying out/taking a look rock area that provides good water gathering, a great view of the western sky and the expanse of the lake.  The Thunderbox is slightly challenging to find (South side of the island) and the lid was kind of rotted when I was there in September but the box was ok.  The view is nice provided you don't look down!  If you explore the island, watch your step.  The thunderbox has been relocated a few times I think, there were a couple of holes on that island that if you weren't paying attention you'd take one heck of a fall, and I'm not kidding about that at all.  They are kind of overgrown, so while they are visible, they could also be missed!

The carry to Mubwayaka is easy.  It bypasses a small creek.  I made the paddle to the mouth of David Creek, but it was raining in an otherworldly way, so I didn't go further than that.  That paddle is really pretty though, as the lake narrows and gives way to the creek.  It is a section you will remember.  There are two campsites, I think the first one is probably the better.  There was a party in front of me the day I went in, and that's where they stayed.  Rocky-ledge access for that one.  The other one is on a point that looked kind of dark and buggy to me.  It was hard to see though, while getting rent asunder by Armageddon-type rain.  If you wanted to get a jump on David Creek and the portage to Rosebary, I'm sure you'd be in good shape staying on Mubwayaka but you can stay on my island if you want. 

I was considering a trip similar to what you are talking about for this coming Fall, through David Creek up to Rosebary.  There is a thread on this topic actually, because I was asking about this fairly recently.  Here's what I found out.  David creek gets shallow enough that there's a push-pull-drag section, I think fairly close to its mouth, and it goes 20 or 30 yards.  After that, ok.  The carry to Rosebary has caused some people problems, so study this aspect of the trip carefully.  It follows an old logging, at least in part, BUT, there's a turn on it, where you are supposed to head right.  It is visible in satellite photos.  Otherwise - if you read enough accounts -  you can't believe how far out of position some people have found themselves, but severe distances.  Also, there is a section 2/3rds or 3/4rs through where there used to be a bridge, but it has been removed.  Apparently the creek is fast moving, has a little depth, and is just wide enough to make you devise a plan.  One of the accounts I read had members of a party jumping the creek, and then they were tossing equipment over, and so it went.  I think this is a cross-that-creek-when-you-come-to-it moment, because it may be necessary to load the boat and move it laterally across or something like that.  Don't wear your Sunday suit or your dress shoes for this section.  Other than that, the carry is supposed to be level and pretty clear. 

The section of the Tim you are looking at is, from what I read and the comments made when I was asking about it, a series of beaver dams interrupted by a river.  So, be prepared I guess.   I think somebody speculated 16 dams or something like that. 

I think that's it.   Other than aside from the post about that Rosebary Portage where I was getting help, I did post a trip report on the David Lake trip last September, and I think you'll find some pictures of the campsite there.  I'm sure I have other photos of the site, etc., I can send if you like.

5/18/2017 2:05 pm  #4

Thanks for the info! Sadly I was checking on the online reservation system, and as my dates have no wiggle room David and Mubwayaka are out - they're already booked. Looks like it's going to be Ralph Bice - Rosebary - Queer - Little Misty - Daisy. Not exactly the most strenuous of trips, but that's okay - it'll be nice to have some swim and relax time. 

5/18/2017 2:44 pm  #5

Sorry it's booked, but it's to be expected: David and Mubwayaka are very popular (considering number of sites). Did you consider Tim R. to Shah to Misty instead of Queer? Shah lake has a superb campsite and it's usually deserted.
David creek in low water could be bit of a challenge. How long is your kayak? I attached wide-lens picture here of the beginning of the creek from Mubwayaka lake - it will give you an idea of "portage" conditions
Mubwayaka to Rosebary is on the flat road all the way, so it shouldn't be that bad even without maintenance. To be exact, it's 2 roads - don't miss the turn.
Tim river below Rosebary - in my experience ratio of beaver dams as described by travelers compared to beavers count is 2 to 1. Expect 6 when promised a dozen.
Edit: in my opinion Long Bow campsites are not that interesting.

Last edited by EddyTurn (5/18/2017 2:52 pm)

5/18/2017 3:00 pm  #6

I didn't consider going on to Shah, mostly because I've camped there before. I have this thing about staying on lakes I've never before set up a tent on (and an Algonquin wall map covered in pins that reflects it), so I always try to jigger my routes to end up camping somewhere new. 

My kayak is 16 feet long. Your pic definitely looks like the creek is nice and narrow, but I imagine I'll make do. 

The closest thing I see on Jeff's map to a "turn" in the Mubwayaka to Rosebary portage is a logging road that juts out to the west maybe a kilometer into the route, but it seems like that would be a hard mistake to make. Is that the spot? Make sure to go right?

5/18/2017 3:14 pm  #7

Yes, that's the fork: portage starts at the creek on a (remains of) logging road and in 600-700 meters there's a forest road splitting right - this is where portage goes.

5/18/2017 3:15 pm  #8

Perfect - thanks. 

5/18/2017 3:46 pm  #9

Seeing you are in the area, go to South River (where I lived) and go through Access #1 and off North Tea on your right, you can try Cayuga, Jeep,  Charr and/or Pishnecka Lakes if you have never been there.  Once off North Tea, you should have your solitude.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/18/2017 11:02 pm  #10

There are people on Bice etc but it feels less crowded than the corridor area or the Kiosk-Manitou area. I love Misty in early July, lots of wildlife and great campsites.

5/19/2017 12:06 pm  #11

@Bo: I've considered those lakes before, but the presence of that "1b" access point on Jeff's Map has always deterred me, as that makes it seem you can pretty much drive to Craig Lake. Not so? 

The other problem is that there's no loop to be had out of there, and not really enough to explore to encompass more than a couple of nights. Not entirely deal-breakers, but not ideal either. 

5/19/2017 5:54 pm  #12

I was through there two years ago and David creek was not a problem. We didn't even get our feet wet.  A couple of lifts near the lake, then clear paddling.  The portage was a nice, long walk in the woods.  We had no difficulty following the portage.  The bridge that was out, was crossing a creek about two thirds of the way to Rosebary.  It was fast flowing and deep when we crossed it. We had one guy jump across first and then tossed the packs across. Then slid the canoe across. And then the second guy jumped over.  We probably should of found some logs or floated across up stream although I seem to recall, that didn't seem like a good idea at the time due to the fast current.
 We looped around through the Tim river and out through Queer, Little Trout, Bice.  There wasn't nearly as many beaver dams/log jams as I thought there was going to be on the Tim.  I found the Tim river to Queer Lake portage way more challenging than David to Rosebary.  I really liked this route for its variety and the fishing was good too.
Last year we came out up the Pet and had no problems what so ever. The longish Queer to Little Misty was not difficult other than the length.  I haven't gone into Misty so I don't have anything to add on that portage. We have found the portages out of Mag can be busy but once you get to Bice the traffic thins out.  This is an area I seem to keep coming back to even though Bice has been one of the windiest lakes I've ever encountered in the park.  I know you're a yak guy, but you'll be paddling some great fishing lakes.  I think I've seen some room on your deck to strap on a fishing rod.

5/20/2017 11:44 am  #13

Good info Treater - thanks. As to your fishing comments: here's the first kayak I ever owned. 

And no, it didn't come with a rod holder and fish finder, I drilled holes in a brand new kayak in order to mount that stuff. Fishing got me into kayaking, and the combination got me into backcountry camping, but these days I've mostly lost interest in the fishing side of things. I'm sure it'll come back around sooner or later, but it's been at least three years since I've tossed a line in the water, and so far I'm not feeling the lack for it. 

5/20/2017 5:29 pm  #14

...didn't know you were looking for a loop.

Therefore, Kawawaymog to North Tea to Biggar to Three Mile to Manitou and back out.  A little bit difficult trip with some portages, but big lakes and plenty of solitude.

5/20/2017 6:41 pm  #15

Great loop... which I've done at least 4 times already ;)

5/21/2017 4:53 am  #16

Well, the GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD is getting smaller for you like it has for me.

5/22/2017 11:55 am  #17

Trip booked - thanks for the feedback. As it turns out, David Lake was available for the last night of my window. While I suppose I could have reversed the loop to land there more gracefully, I'd rather paddle up the Petawawa than up the Tim. So nights one through five are on Ralph Bice, Rosebary, Queer, Little Misty, and then retracing a tiny part of my route to spend the last night on David. 

If anyone ends up booking a trip for the same part of the park for early July, let me know if we might run into each other! My trip is July 5 - 10. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.