You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2017 8:57 am  #1

May 2/4 Trip - Big Trout/la Muir/Big Crow

T-Minus 3 days to departure.

Friday Night on Big Trout
Saturday night on la Muir
Sunday night on Big Crow

First off, any AAers out there I may incidentally cross paths with?

Secondly, any campsite recommendations? The sites for these lakes on the PCI are scarce. Any insight appreciated. 

5/16/2017 9:14 am  #2

Re: May 2/4 Trip - Big Trout/la Muir/Big Crow

There are quite a few really nice sites on Big Trout. One of my favorites is the southward-facing point site on the east side because it has a huge chunk of Canadian shield. However, you won't get a sunset there. 

On Big Crow, I'm partial to the northern-most site on the east side of the lake.

5/16/2017 10:28 am  #3

Thanks Bob! Much appreciated.

Have you stayed on or taken a peak at the sites on the lean-to island? I was thinking about targeting the site on the west end of the island as I figured I'd be able to catch the sunset from there. The one you pointed out would also make sense to camp at on the way to Longer.

Cheers,

5/16/2017 10:41 am  #4

I've camped on at least five different Big Trout sites and have probably taken a close look at most sites on the lake, but that doesn't mean I remember them ;)

I will definitely have paddled by those lean-to sites, but I have no clear recollection of them - sorry!

5/16/2017 11:24 am  #5

The kids and I got out and checked out that western site last August on the lean-to island. We passed it up as the fire pit was kind of exposed and it was a very windy day that turned us off.  It is on an exposed point of Canadian Shield. Didn't really go too far back into the site and I didn't take any pics either, sorry.  You would have a sunset view but it is close to the mainland to the west. 
We took the island site just to the west for 3 nights...I know it is all relative to the conditions but it is now one of our favourites.  We ended up having 3 warm sunny days for swimming etc.

Like Uppa said, Big Trout is full of nice sites...you will not have any issues.

Have fun!!

5/16/2017 12:20 pm  #6

On Big Trout, the site on the end of the peninsula to the right of the last "T" in "White Trout" in the above photo is a nice site.  Thunderbox is way up on top but the site has great access for shore fishing and many means of egress should the wind be blowing.  Nice layout in that it is interesting - nestled on the side of a hill.  We use hammocks but I recall some tent options on top that were cool too.

5/17/2017 6:48 am  #7

Thanks guys, appreciate the info!

For those who have camped on la Muir, any thoughts on sites? I was thinking of targeting the site on the tip of the little peninsula on the north side of the lake.

5/17/2017 7:31 am  #8

basilthegood wrote:

I was thinking of targeting the site on the tip of the little peninsula on the north side of the lake.

Your thoughts are guiding you to the best site on the lake

5/18/2017 1:53 am  #9

I was on the western site of  "Lean to" Island last week.  We were camped at the Narrows site in the (cold) shade watching the lean to site getting soaked in late afternoon sun.  We made a point of hanging out there the following afternoon.  The whole site would be exposed to any west winds and while the island itself was cool to poke around the canoe landing, fire pit, and tent pads left a bit to be desired.     

5/18/2017 4:40 am  #10

The site on the point that Uppa was referring to was my first campsite on Big Trout Lake back in 1966,  It is a very spacious site and once had an underground spring at the back of it.  Nice of lot flat rocks to lie on at night at gaze at the tumultuous stars dancing in the sky.

​I hope you know you have three long days from access point to Big Trout (11 hours for me from Canoe), BIG TROUT TO LAMUIR IS NO PROLEM, BUT LAMUIR TO BIG CROW IS A LONG LONG DAY.

t
​\t

Last edited by boknows (5/18/2017 4:46 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/18/2017 7:07 am  #11

Thanks Chuck, that's some super helpful info.

boknows wrote:

​I hope you know you have three long days from access point to Big Trout (11 hours for me from Canoe), BIG TROUT TO LAMUIR IS NO PROLEM, BUT LAMUIR TO BIG CROW IS A LONG LONG DAY.

Crazy, not stupid. We're skipping Opeongo via water taxi to Hailstorm, and taking it back down from Proulx portage. La Muir to Big Crow is the day I'm looking forward to least. Looks like the weather won't be cooperating either, but with single carries we're hoping to pound it out in about 5 hour 30 min. 

5/19/2017 7:30 am  #12

If in a bad west wind, the sites on Birch point are both great ( west from the site Uppa mentioned ), and offer great weasther protection. The more southerly site is larger. You will be on some good fishing lakes, if it was me I'd be adding somedays in there for sure..... 😀

Moonman.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.