You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2015 7:00 pm  #1

4 person backpacking tents

I recently purchased a northface talus 4 tent as it was the ideal compromise of space, quality, weight and price.  Ended up returning it though because it was advertised as 80 inches by 90 inches but When  set up inside dimensions were 73 inches by 84 inches. Tent lying flat was 77 by 87.  Not nearly as large as advertised. Which is an issue because the people I camp with are all 6'1" or taller.

Is this common for tents?  Any other recommendations in the 7 lbs sub 400$ price point? Looking at the Mountainsmith Genesee 4 which gets good reviews but the cheap price has me wondering.

Thanks

Dan

Last edited by dansnowball1 (9/06/2015 7:20 pm)

9/08/2015 6:45 am  #2

Re: 4 person backpacking tents

I've been using the Eureka elCapitan for a number of years and been very satisfied with it. Quite roomy inside.... it's more like 9 -10lbs though.

9/10/2015 6:12 pm  #3

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive summer tent we bought a 4 person Asolo velocity. It is all mesh. We paid 170$ for it. It did well on our 23 day trip.

http://m.rei.com/product/851833/asolo-velocity-4-tent-2012-overstock

9/11/2015 9:25 am  #4

Very common, Dan. Tent shape and the way it is sewn often cuts down on the pre-manufactured floor dimensions if we're talking feasible sleeping space. And I find the # of people recommended by the manufacturer always has to be cut down by at least 1 unless you're all comfortable cuddling.

I don't have a recommendation for a 4p tent but might you consider two 2p tents? Divides up the weight a little better, easier to find viable spots to set up and should give everyone a little more room, especially if the middle people in a group of 4 need out of the tent for some reason. Cons are the price and total weight, of course.

9/11/2015 10:47 am  #5

http://www.tarptent.com/hogback.html

You will have to wait for the Canadian dollar to improve as these are only available in US dollars($419 USD). At current exchange rate you would be paying about $600 CAD I think but you would have a true 4 person tent and very light in weight.

James

9/11/2015 1:10 pm  #6

Yes Tarptent does make some nice tents.  I have a 3-person and a 2-person from them

9/12/2015 1:46 pm  #7

Thanks for all the replies. Ever since I started researching 4p tents I was in correspondence with Henry from tarp tent. I liked the fact that they are made in the US on a smaller scale but yes the exchange rate and the need for a groundsheet increased the cost with shipping over 600$ Canadian which is out of my wheel house. They look like excellent tents though and well worth the money if I had it... Looking for a tent hat would double as a family tent so the 2 x 2P tent isn't an option unfortinatly. 

Thanks for the advice.  The search continues ...

9/12/2015 2:30 pm  #8

El capitan 4 looks like a solid tent. Little heavy though. Anyone have experience with Eureka Senic pass model?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.