You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2017 3:16 pm  #1

Kayak Camping

Hi ... I know that some of you do kayak interior trips in the park and was wondering what type of kayak will hold enough gear for a decent trip?  I know you can carry a lot more in a canoe but there are times when its nice to try something else especially if its not a long trip with long portages. 

I have owned the touring type of kayak (Pamlico) but prefer the feeling and stability of the flatter hull ones.  I currently have a couple of the cheaper ones that will hold a little stuff and are ok for day trips and fishing but not for overnight.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. Based on suggestions I might rent one for a few nights this summer.

Thanks
Paul

5/11/2017 3:31 pm  #2

Re: Kayak Camping

If you prefer more stable kayaks then that means you prefer shorter and wider kayaks, so your storage options are going to be limited. I saw an Old Town kayak that Solo Lesta is using where he's strapping his canoe pack onto the back, which might be an option for you (if you don't know him, just look for his YouTube channel). 

If you're looking for an actual sea kayak, look at Delta kayaks. Big hatch openings and lots of storage space. I used the Delta 14.5 for a few years (might fit your stability needs) before moving on to the Delta 16, and I love(d) both of them.

5/11/2017 3:51 pm  #3

There's a guy over on MyCCR who uses 10' Pelican Kayaks for 40 day Arctic and Barren land trips. Pelican Kayak like the one you get at Costco for $300. He uses them because he can transport them on commercial air flights. Gives them away the end of the trip. So, I think with a bit of careful packing it would be pretty easy to pack a short wide kayak for a few nights in Algonquin.

Last edited by MartinG (5/11/2017 3:51 pm)

5/11/2017 4:21 pm  #4

While not in the park, I've been able to do 3 days in this boat (9'10")...  That being said, not something I'd recommend ;-). I agree with Uppa - I have a delta 14 (without rudder) on order as I want spend more time in the park soloing...  I chose the 14 as a good balance of shape/width/storage/weight (I'll shave a gram off my gear if I can)...  Happy paddling :-)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.