You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2017 9:20 am  #1

Looking for Trip Advice!

Hi Friends,

I've reached out for advice in the past and it's been a great help in planning our trips, so I'm back again! Recent past trips: Rock/Welcome/Louisa Loop and the Magnetewan/Ralph Bice/Misty/Timberwolf/Petewawa Loop. My girlfriend and I are looking at 5-7 days in a similar type trip, perhaps with 2 or 3 nights on the same site, preferably on a remote private lake. Ideally we would avoid large open lakes. As always, great fishing and the chance to see lots of wildlife is what we are after.

I look forward to hearing all of your suggestions. Thanks in advance to all the wonderful people on this forum!

Gord

5/11/2017 10:53 am  #2

Re: Looking for Trip Advice!

how many portages do you want to do, and how long of a portage are you willing to carry?

5/11/2017 10:56 am  #3

also, where are you driving from and how far are you willing to drive

5/11/2017 11:10 am  #4

Open to portages, obviously in an ideal world they'd be short and there would be few of them, but I understand thats hard to avoid. In the past our longest has been 3000m and several 1500m which is totally doable.

We are coming from Toronto. Ideally entering anywhere on the west side of the park or off of 60 (Not crazy about entering off of 60 because of how busy it can be). Also I'd even be open to one of the northern access points. I have a place to stay in Muskoka to break up the drive in to two days if needed.

5/11/2017 11:41 am  #5

I have 2 options coming to mind.

1. Put in at magnetewan and follow the petewawa river to big trout. Go back via grassy bay and macintosh, timber wolf. This could be more adventurous by following the tim river to big trout and back via grassy bay again.

2. In at cedar lake. Follow the petewawa to catfish and then burntroot then back via the nipissing.

5/11/2017 11:46 am  #6

Cedar L > Catfish L > Burntroot L > Whiskey Jack L > Nip R is a fun route...  With Whiskey Jack L being a good couple night stay... :-)

5/11/2017 11:50 am  #7

I've looked at Cedar/Catfish/Nip in the past. Maybe this will be the year I do it!

Jdbonney - you'r first suggestion is a little close to what I did last year. Stayed a couple nights on Timberwolf and was in that area, so I'd like to try a different access point.

5/11/2017 11:53 am  #8

Are you willing to do an opeongo water taxi or paddle opeongo?

5/11/2017 11:57 am  #9

Opeongo, happy isle, merchant, big trout, la muir, burntroot, catfish, sunfish, newt, manta, hogan, big crow, opeongo. Some long portages but a nice trip. Involves either paddling ope or paying for a water taxi.

5/11/2017 12:05 pm  #10

Ash wrote:

Cedar L > Catfish L > Burntroot L > Whiskey Jack L > Nip R is a fun route... With Whiskey Jack L being a good couple night stay... :-)

What lakes/rivers would you suggest staying on for timing? I like to cover a lot of ground, but at the same time don't like biting off more than I can chew. How many days to reach Whisky Jack for example?

5/11/2017 12:10 pm  #11

It's a long drive to Brent. Stay first night on cedar, then catfish, whiskey jack, high falls, cedar. Insert rest days wherever you like.

5/11/2017 12:33 pm  #12

Jdbonney wrote:

It's a long drive to Brent. Stay first night on cedar, then catfish, whiskey jack, high falls, cedar. Insert rest days wherever you like.

Agreed, think day balancing wise I might change to the Nadine portage instead of high falls...  However, the high falls would be a nicer site to stay as you have the falls - So think I agree all in all :-)

5/11/2017 5:04 pm  #13

You could do the Kiosk --> Manitou --> Three Mile --> Maple --> Kiosk loop. Spend 1 night on Three Mile, 1-2 nights on each Manitou and Maple, and maybe a night on Kiosk at the start or end of the trip. I tend to post this a lot so sorry if you've seen this already, but here's a trip report of mine for that loop: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44357&start=0

If you wanted to cover more ground, you can make it a larger loop and go from Maple through Mouse to Mink and then out. It wouldn't leave as much option for multiple nights on lakes though.

There are some big lakes and a couple long portages, but it's not a crazy amount of travel time each day, so even if you take your time or get set back somehow, it shouldn't be a major nuisance. And as long as you're not going on a long weekend, even those larger lakes in the north will feel pretty remote compared to any lake off of hwy 60 (on a Thursday before a long weekend, I was the only campsite booked on Manitou!)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.