You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2017 8:57 am  #1

CAN YOU BYPASS PORTAGE FROM WENDIGO TO ALLAN LAKE

With all the high water already and more to come today and tomorrow, is it possible to go down the small creek/river from Wendigo to Allan, thus avoiding the 180m portage .  Even if I had to wade my canoe down, that would be AWESOME as then I could bring more gear!

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/05/2017 9:48 am  #2

Re: CAN YOU BYPASS PORTAGE FROM WENDIGO TO ALLAN LAKE

No - that portage must be taken. There is roughly a 25ft difference in water levels between the two lakes. Jeff's note about it being skippable in high water was added to the wrong portage in error.

The good news is - you can very easily skip P255 between Allan and North Depot in almost any water level! So there you have it, you have to walk the shorter trail and skip the longer one. Good deal, I'd say.

5/05/2017 10:28 am  #3

NO YOU CAN NOT.

5/05/2017 11:38 am  #4

Thanks MartinG and Peek....i didn't think so.

Anyways, this FUN AND RELAXING CAMPING/FISHING trip will be my Plan B trip as White P was cancelled due to soft road conditions....sooooooooo

I have a ton of stuff to take in to Allan.  Looks like a few trips along the portage from Wendigo to Allan....and if my memory serves me correctly, this is a rocky portage with many BIG rocks on it.

One thing is certain no matter what Mother Nature throws me....I will be very comfortable once I get to my site on Allan.

Last edited by boknows (5/05/2017 11:39 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.