You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2017 12:56 pm  #1

AT ONE TIME BEER IN SMALL KEGS ARE LEGAL IN ALGONQUIN PARK

You can buy MINI kegs of beer at liquor store (usually Heineken) that contain 15-20 beers.  These were legal in the interior a few years ago.....ARE THEY STILL LEGAL NOW????

Last edited by boknows (5/01/2017 1:04 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/01/2017 1:06 pm  #2

Re: AT ONE TIME BEER IN SMALL KEGS ARE LEGAL IN ALGONQUIN PARK

Cans and bottles are prohibited. Would a keg be considered a large can? My guess is "probably".

A quick google found a long thread on the topic from... guess where... HERE! Conversation from 2010, so it's from the previous AA forum. I even posted in it myself! Lots of opinions in that thread but no conclusion. 

Edit: link in case you want to read it: http://www.network54.com/Forum/352882/thread/1270152462/Heinekin+cans

Last edited by Uppa (5/01/2017 1:07 pm)

5/01/2017 1:54 pm  #3

From Ontario Regulation 347/07, Section 4:

(4) No person shall possess any non-burnable food or beverage containers in an interior camping zone in Algonquin, Killarney, Lake Superior or Quetico Provincial Park other than containers,
     (a) that are specifically designed and intended for repeated use and for which no deposit is charged; or
     (b) that are specifically designed for dehydrated foods.

So the way that's worded, if there's a deposit on the mini keg it's not allowed. And even if there is no deposit on it it's still not allowed, unless they're designed for repeated use which the ones I know aren't. The regulation doesn't actually refer to bottles or cans in what we call the "bottle and can ban".

Except for Woodland Caribou Provincial Park, where the regulation just bans glass bottles.

5/01/2017 2:04 pm  #4

Here's the sure safe bet:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-234/Growler-Vacuum-Insulated-1-9L

I have the non-insulated version, which was cheaper, and it's treated me very well. Then you can bring any beer you like- not just Heineken!

5/01/2017 2:08 pm  #5

nvm wrote:

Here's the sure safe bet:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-234/Growler-Vacuum-Insulated-1-9L

I have the non-insulated version, which was cheaper, and it's treated me very well. Then you can bring any beer you like- not just Heineken!

Huh, never heard of that product or using something like that for beer... wouldn't beer go flat after some hours if you opened it and poured it into that thing?

5/01/2017 2:10 pm  #6

Back in the nineties when some in my group wanted to take beer into the park, they would simply buy wellington county ale in the plastic bottles.Also, just opening and pouring a  beer into the mini water bottles works well and they still retain their carbonation for several days...

Moonman.

5/01/2017 2:13 pm  #7

Interesting, thanks.
The regulation I quoted above is dated in 2007 and was updated in 2011, so I'm not sure if the exact rule used to be different before that.

5/01/2017 3:02 pm  #8

At a local brewery you can get glass growlers filled (approx 5 beers in each glass jar).. you don't pay a deposit, you outright buy your growler and they refill for you. So it's re-usable with no deposit so technically I could bring it in the interior? (not that I would want too, the bottle probably weighs 2 lbs empty)

5/01/2017 3:34 pm  #9

No you couldn't. It's glass. 

5/01/2017 4:02 pm  #10

Jdbonney wrote:

Makes sense lol...  Like I said I would't want to bring them in because a)they are too heavy and b)if they did happen to break that's an accident waiting to happen!

5/01/2017 5:19 pm  #11

The kleen kanteen  growlers work pretty good. Lake of Bays brewery in Baysville will fill them at the brewery for you. I have done this many times while on route to Algonquin. Left unopened they will retain carbonation for up to 3 days in my experience. I carry 3 usually on a reasonable trip. If doing many portages I opt to go without . That said, it's well worth the haul at the end of a long day.

Last edited by Shayne74 (5/01/2017 5:19 pm)

5/01/2017 6:29 pm  #12

Shayne74 wrote:

The kleen kanteen growlers work pretty good. Lake of Bays brewery in Baysville will fill them at the brewery for you. I have done this many times while on route to Algonquin. Left unopened they will retain carbonation for up to 3 days in my experience. I carry 3 usually on a reasonable trip. If doing many portages I opt to go without . That said, it's well worth the haul at the end of a long day.

New Ontario Brewery here in North Bay will also fill them. ;-)

5/01/2017 6:38 pm  #13

Jdbonney wrote:

Based on the wording of the regulation, which I quoted above, it doesn't matter if it's glass. If it's designed for repeated use and there's no deposit on it, it's allowed. So the growler would be okay. Personally I think it would make much more sense to have an outright ban on glass bottles rather than the weird ban on non-burnable containers that are either single-use or have a deposit on them, except for freeze-dried food packs... in other words I think the Woodland Caribou PP rule makes more sense than the Algonquin rule. But that's the rule.

5/01/2017 6:47 pm  #14

DanPM wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

Based on the wording of the regulation, which I quoted above, it doesn't matter if it's glass. If it's designed for repeated use and there's no deposit on it, it's allowed. So the growler would be okay. Personally I think it would make much more sense to have an outright ban on glass bottles rather than the weird ban on non-burnable containers that are either single-use or have a deposit on them, except for freeze-dried food packs... in other words I think the Woodland Caribou PP rule makes more sense than the Algonquin rule. But that's the rule.

I was thinking the exact same thing! No glass. period.

5/01/2017 7:33 pm  #15

Thanks!!  Not an issue any more for me because my trip into White Partridge is now cancelled due to road conditions.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/03/2017 9:14 pm  #16

Talked to a warden last year and he recommended going in on a keg. Thinking back it seems an odd thing to say as they are technically a deposit container in any size.

5/04/2017 7:17 am  #17

Disappointed to hear that, Bo.  Is it the Achray road or the cart path that is in bad shape?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.