You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2017 7:56 am  #1

Road to Wendigo

It has been over 10 years since I have taken the road down to Wendigo (to access down into Allan and North Depot) from Brent Road.   At that time you needed something with a higher suspension such as a truck or SUV.   Has this changed at all?   Would love to get down in there again but only have a car now.   Thanks for any update.   Cheers.

Scott

4/30/2017 8:08 am  #2

Re: Road to Wendigo

The road is decent. It's a single-lane, two-tread dirt road. 

Just be careful of larger-than-pebble rocks in the road (both loose and embedded) as I blew out a rear tire last July on this road. (I've also picked up a random nail on the Brent Road - bad luck last year) I (accidentally) went over a loose rock the size of my fist and it must have had an odd shape because we heard the loud 'pop' as it happened. Luckily we were only 200m or so from the access point. What a way to start an 11-day trip - by changing a tire in the hot July sun whilst being swarmed by deer flies!

Still though, I'd do it all again right now if it meant I was gone for the next 11 days!

4/30/2017 9:45 am  #3

I'm in the area right now.. I'll take pics for you.

4/30/2017 9:47 am  #4

Thanks, I know there was a dip that had a stream running through it before going up a big rock hill.  I know it was easy to do in a truck or SUV but never did with a car, and that was 10 years ago.   If that area is impassible by car then I'll skip Wendigo/Allan and head down to North River or Cedar.    THanks everyone!

4/30/2017 12:35 pm  #5

I go in this road often with my small Toyota Matrix without any problems.  You just have to drive slowly in certain spots!

I also in the spring have never had problems with the branch road that takes you to access point on Wendigo.  Yes, there will probably be water on road but I always check it out for firmness and then drive through it if possible.

Last edited by boknows (4/30/2017 12:39 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/30/2017 7:22 pm  #6

Thanks boknows.   It was more the branch road I'm worried about as I have been up and down Brent in the car with no problem.   You answered my question :-)   Thanks everyone.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.