You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2017 11:32 am  #1

Worst campsites

I've seen several threads asking for advice on what the best campsites are for travelers visiting specific lakes. One thing I don't ever recall seeing is a post on what people recount as having been their least favoutite sites in the Park. 

I'm not referring to potentially seeing garbage or toilet paper laying around (I have seen my share of that...) but rather specific qualities that a site may have which would lead it to be less desirable.

For instance...
Last summer I camped on Raven Lake where the Thunder box was located IN the campsite. Not kidding, it was highly visible from anywhere in and around the tents & firepit, It was the first thing we noticed when paddling up to the site. Oh, and the site was also highly infested with chiggers but I'll spare the details...

Also stayed on Parkside Bay the last weekend the Park was open. While paddling around the bay we stopped off to check out the different vacant sites. We found with where the landing had the consistency and horrible smell of a swamp. Upon entering the site we noticed that it had room for maybe one small tentpad, which was mere feet from the fire pit. I'm sure that lake gets busy in the summer and I have no clue how a group of any sort could set up there. By far one of the worst sites I've come across in my travels.

Anyways, I'm sure people here have other examples to share...all in the name of fun of course.
RC

Last edited by RCSpartan (4/27/2017 11:32 am)

4/27/2017 11:51 am  #2

Re: Worst campsites

Once stayed on a site that was littered with blowdown and widowmakers...finding a place to set my tent that gave me some measure of comfort was challenging to say the least. 

Last edited by RPDUKE (4/27/2017 12:37 pm)

4/27/2017 12:43 pm  #3

The two sites on the Northeast shoreline of Happy Isle were less than desirable...poor landing and then a nearly vertical five meters or so up to the level of the campsite.  Just not particularly appealing in layout or anything.  

The two sites on the eastern end of Redrock were so poor but not as a result of the site but rather the conditions of high winds and blowing snow.  With winds from the opposite direction they might have been cozy, protected abodes for a cold night but they turned out to be brutally exposed.

A couple sites on the lower Nipissing were also unappealing.  The one just above Moose Lake was ill-outfitted with virtually no firepit, no visible thunderbox and a moose bed in the meadow virtually in the site...easy to bypass that one.  The first site below Moose Lake was OK but also had an eroding steep bank that had to be ascended to reach the site.  Not terrible, but I've stayed at many far nicer!

I expect quite a few sites might pose the Jekyll & Hyde character based upon conditions.

4/27/2017 1:59 pm  #4

Hands down the worst site I've stayed on is on Furrow Lake. There are two sites on Furrow, and the one I stayed on is the one shown on the map as part way down the creek towards Lady Slipper. I chose it because the other site on the lake, the one that would have a great sunset view in the middle of the lake and lots of space for swimming etc., is a burned out post-apocalyptic nightmare of charred trees and ash thanks to a fire that must have got out of hand. It would still have been the better choice.

The creek site is a tiny island with exactly zero flat areas for tents. We ended up pitching our tent on an angle in a patch of small but surprisingly prickly green things (otherwise known as plants, probably). The water is relatively swimmable/potable, but only if we're talking relative to septic tank. The creek in this part looks like someone left it steeping in a teapot for two weeks, then stirred in a bunch of dead bugs and floaty things. The "firepit" is a small circle of rocks built on an angle (because, again, there are no flat spaces on the island) and there's a stump chair beside the firepit that is 100% haunted. The thunder box is sturdy enough, once you find it, but there's a serious risk of bleeding out from all the cuts and scrapes you get pushing through the underbrush to get to it.

Anyways, don't go to Furrow Lake.

(If you want to know more about the site, I spent almost 2000 words on my blog going on about Furrow Lake) 

4/27/2017 2:06 pm  #5

@AlgonquinLakes sounds lovely. I'll make sure to stay at that site during an early June trip. Ha.

4/27/2017 2:40 pm  #6

Western shore campsite on Godda was probably the worst I ever experienced.  it was a long time ago, like mid 1990's, so I don't remember everything, but I do remember this.  It was a steep scramble to get to the campsite, and once you were there, you found yourself standing atop a kind of rock peninsula that was totally exposed.  The view was pretty nice, I'll give it that, but I remember running the tent stakes down through a thin layer of pine needles into rock.  We had maybe one stake that was in there worth anything.  Plus there was nothing close to level there as I recall.  We just aimed our feet downhill.  In back of the site is the rest of the hill, and it is kind of straight up, so night comes very, very quickly.  The reason it was so memorable was that the hill shielded our view of the weather system that was coming from the west right over us.  It was not a nice place to experience one of the worst thunderstorms I ever have while camping.

4/27/2017 4:11 pm  #7

@ AlgonquinLakes Bwahhhahahaha

I want to go just to see this site!

4/27/2017 6:22 pm  #8

Which campsite on Raven are you referring too? I passed by last summer and submitted the PCI reports for both of those sites, but I don't remember thinking the thunder box was in a bad location. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, and I didn't actually camp there either.

During that same trip, I went onshore to the south site on Owl, and that ranks as one of worst campsites I've seen (luckily just passing by as well, didn't actually camp there). It's small and uninviting, and from the water it doesn't even look like a site. Nowhere to swim or enjoy the sun, and bad fire pit/seating area, with the tent pad very close by. It's well sheltered at least, so it gets one single bonus point for that.

And not inherently bad, but some sites just give off a very eerie vibe. One that stands out in particular is the north shore site halfway down the lake on Louisa (campsite #2 on the PCI). I can't pinpoint exactly what it was, it just felt eerie and unsettling. And not algonquin, but the island campsite #15 on Killarney Lake in Killarney had to be the eeriest campsite I've been to. We set up our tent and were debating staying, but something felt very off and we switched to a much nicer site.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/27/2017 6:29 pm  #9

@trippythings it was the site closest to the Owl portage and we stayed there last August. I know which site you're talking about on Owl. We didn't get out to look but it didn't look inviting at all. 

4/27/2017 6:43 pm  #10

RCSpartan wrote:

@trippythings it was the site closest to the Owl portage and we stayed there last August. I know which site you're talking about on Owl. We didn't get out to look but it didn't look inviting at all. 

Looking back at my pictures from that trip, I upped the brightness on one of them and can see the thunder box. It's pretty darn close to the campsite, and definitely visible from the fire pit

Last edited by trippythings (4/27/2017 6:44 pm)

algonquinbeyond.com

4/27/2017 7:14 pm  #11

@trippythings - what's that bluish-white thing beside the thunder box?

Yeeash...nothing like cooking your dinner on the fire while trying to avoid watching your buddy drop a deuce 20 feet away.

4/27/2017 7:35 pm  #12

I'm not sure to be honest. That day I was feeling under the weather, I was double carrying from Linda to Source, and my phone was at 8% when I started the day... I was just trying to get to all of the campsites on route, snap a few pictures, and take note if any were worth camping on in the future... I clearly wasn't paying too much attention to my surroundings lol

algonquinbeyond.com

4/28/2017 5:25 am  #13

@trippythings yup, that's exactly where it was located. Not sure who thought it was a good idea to dig a pit there. It's almost like having an ensuite bathroom!

4/28/2017 6:58 am  #14

There is a campsite on Club Lake (portion of Club near Mouse) where to enjoy it one of your legs needs to be about 2 feet shorter than the other as the entire campsite is, so say the least, not level.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/28/2017 7:58 am  #15

trippythings wrote:

Which campsite on Raven are you referring too? I passed by last summer and submitted the PCI reports for both of those sites, but I don't remember thinking the thunder box was in a bad location. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, and I didn't actually camp there either.

During that same trip, I went onshore to the south site on Owl, and that ranks as one of worst campsites I've seen (luckily just passing by as well, didn't actually camp there). It's small and uninviting, and from the water it doesn't even look like a site. Nowhere to swim or enjoy the sun, and bad fire pit/seating area, with the tent pad very close by. It's well sheltered at least, so it gets one single bonus point for that.

And not inherently bad, but some sites just give off a very eerie vibe. One that stands out in particular is the north shore site halfway down the lake on Louisa (campsite #2 on the PCI). I can't pinpoint exactly what it was, it just felt eerie and unsettling. And not algonquin, but the island campsite #15 on Killarney Lake in Killarney had to be the eeriest campsite I've been to. We set up our tent and were debating staying, but something felt very off and we switched to a much nicer site.

It's funny how subjective a vibe can be. When we stayed on Killarney last year, we almost moved to 15 because it felt like such a nice site. If it was west facing it would have been perfect. Hard to leave 24 though, which was a terrific site. One of the most liked sites on that lake is 17, which I didn't get a great vibe from.

4/28/2017 8:59 am  #16

I've bee n on some pretty nasty sites, but the one that scores a definite negative in my books is an the east side of Pen down past the portage to Night lake
This site has ZERO redeeming qualities; It's on a "pebble" beach (if you can call 3-6" rocks pebbles) with the perfect angle to roll an ankle on, It's impossible to land at without getting a bad case of rock rash (too deep for a "wetfoot" landing), a buggy path through the brush to the site, Once you're at the site, you feel like you're in a cave- the tree cover is 100%) The site itself is flat, but it's bare dirt that was still muddy from a previous rain 3 days earlier, The pit was a completely forgettable ring of rocks sitting in the mud, the bugs were intense even though it was early September, and after searching for an hour, we never did find the privy! on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a -2  

4/28/2017 9:20 am  #17

PaPaddler wrote:

A couple sites on the lower Nipissing were also unappealing.  The one just above Moose Lake was ill-outfitted with virtually no firepit, no visible thunderbox and a moose bed in the meadow virtually in the site...easy to bypass that one.

Going to have to agree with PA on this one. That site is (or was, now closed & re-located) just... horrible - for all the reasons mentioned above and the fact the whole site is covered in raspberry canes.

Funny thing about that campsite - in Aug 2015 I went up the Nip from Cedar to the Long Marsh for a few nights. The crappy site was there when we went up the river (at the old ranger cabin location) but 4 days later we were headed back to Cedar when I noticed a new campsite sign about 100m upriver. Turns out they closed the raspberry field site and moved it up river a bit - but here's the best part - the new site was WORSE than the old one. It was literally hacked out of the forest, up a huge embankment, no benches, no tent pad and this was the firepit:

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.