You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2017 10:40 pm  #1

Cascades (Barron River)

Hi,

Looking at a day trip for this weekend in the Achray area.

Wondering if there is any issue with paddling from Brigham Lake parking lot (A38 on Jeff's map) to High Falls Lake, upstream via the Cascades.  I would of course portage the rapids.

Thanks for your advice.

Fred

4/27/2017 6:52 am  #2

Re: Cascades (Barron River)

No issues at all! Have fun! Go back via Opalescent to make it a small loop. I did that loop in November last year when there was 12 inches of snow on the ground. :-P

Last edited by ATVenture (4/27/2017 6:52 am)

4/27/2017 5:26 pm  #3

I don't think I would be so blasé as to say no issues.  It depends upon the flow and water is pretty high up here right now.  There is a little swift between the 345m and 285 (245)m portage.  This is absolutely no issue later in the season but it might be an issue for upstream travel at high flow.  (I don't know; I have never experienced at high flow.)  The safer and, in my opinion easier, option is to travel to Highfalls Lake via Opalescent and Ooze Lakes.  And without knowing your experience level I would also suggest returning the same way.  I accept that this is very conservative advice, but right now the water is high, fast and cold.

4/27/2017 6:11 pm  #4

rgcmce wrote:

I don't think I would be so blasé as to say no issues.  It depends upon the flow and water is pretty high up here right now.  There is a little swift between the 345m and 285 (245)m portage.  This is absolutely no issue later in the season but it might be an issue for upstream travel at high flow.  (I don't know; I have never experienced at high flow.)  The safer and, in my opinion easier, option is to travel to Highfalls Lake via Opalescent and Ooze Lakes.  And without knowing your experience level I would also suggest returning the same way.  I accept that this is very conservative advice, but right now the water is high, fast and cold.

Your probably right actually now that I think more about it. But at least you do have an alternate route as a "backup plan". Neither way really takes a significant amount of time, so if you decide the current is too strong you can always turn around and go the other way.

4/27/2017 7:19 pm  #5

I went up the Cascades in May two years ago.  The current wasn't an issue.

4/28/2017 8:41 pm  #6

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  Will play it by ear.  Leaning towards the Ope/ooze route.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.