You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2017 6:22 pm  #1

NoBugZone by Eureka

Hello all

Just received my new tarp/bug net combo. Very excited to try it out. Its a combined version of the Eureka VCS system that Kevin Callan has been raving about at all of his talks for many years. The old VCS was a separate mesh room and tarp that clipped together. The new system is all one piece with the mesh sewn directly to the fly. This allows for more living space under the tarp and actually shaves several pounds off the weight. I ordered it online from a company in Ancaster called Up The Nipissing (its named after a misadventure they had on the nipissing in Algonquin). They even wrote a personal note in the package thanking me for ordering from them. If you're from Hamilton area I would say check them out.

Am I actually excited for bugs in june to test my new toy???

4/25/2017 5:07 am  #2

Re: NoBugZone by Eureka

In June eh?  Make sure it's well anchored, lest the horseflies carry it away!

4/25/2017 9:38 am  #3

I'm sure it's just a trick of the light, but the picture on the box makes it look like the mesh comes pre-ripped!

I know I could google it, but you mention the new design shaved "several pounds" off the weight. Just how heavy is it? 

4/25/2017 12:21 pm  #4

how water proof is the tarp system? 

4/25/2017 12:27 pm  #5

5.5 pounds

It doesn't look particularly waterproof. I suspect it will withstand light to medium rain but I'll be in the tent for heavy rain.

4/25/2017 12:34 pm  #6

I'm told it provides usable space almost equivalent to the VCS 16 because the mesh is attached to the edge of the tarp rather than hanging inside it. The 16 is 7.5 pounds. So it provides almost the same floor as the 16 for the weight of the 13.  I set it up in the backyard by myself in about 10 minutes first time I tried. Can probably do it in 5-6 minutes now that I know how to do it. It does need 2 trees spaced about 10 feet apart or poles. I used trees, and I'm tall enough to get the rope up over seven feet.

4/25/2017 12:42 pm  #7

i have both systems, love the tarp,,,,,,
                          i bought  my " eureka, no bug zone" from "sail" in "oshawa " 401 and stevenson rd,, look for da big canadian flag eh.

4/25/2017 12:44 pm  #8

So you find the tarp to be very waterproof?

4/25/2017 1:10 pm  #9

yes, the "vcs16 " tarp works great. 
 it did leak, about, in the centre  of the tarp last sept. i fixed the small leak with some crazy glue that i carry wit me.
       i thought about hitting the new system with some seam sealer treatments before i use it in mid/late may?
it would seem strange to have to tarp a tarp, especially at the cost of this system.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.