LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2017 9:40 pm  #1


Site switch to "first come first serve"

Hello people, 

I am a first time Algonquin camper although I camped before in other parks. I booked rock lake site# 61. After booking it for 7th May i realized that it was right on the sandy beach. I feel like being a little adventurous so I am going to change the site to one of the "first come first serve" sites. My main activity will be fishing and I also dont wanna walk too much (not alone here). So i have picked the site shown in Jeffs map (at the "remains of lumber baron JR booth estate), on the Booth's rock trail. I called the park official today to ask what will be the fees for the switch and he said it will be free which sounded odd. 

Can anyone please tell me, Can I switch on the day of arrival? 
If yes, what will be fees? and switching cost? 
Where the car will be parked? 
How is the fishing at rock lake on that point? 
How is the campsite, if anyone has ever been there... 

I really appreciate the help and responses. 

Thank you

 

 

4/11/2017 7:02 am  #2


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

arman555, you're getting a bit confused.

What you're talking about doing is switching from a frontcountry site in the campground to a backcountry site, not switching from a reservable to a first-come-first-serve site. The numbered sites that you can book individually on CAMIS are frountcountry (drive-in) sites in the campground; all the campsites shown on Jeff's Map are backcountry campsites.

I think when the guy told you it was free to switch he meant if you book a site in the campground, then show up at the campground and say you'd rather take one of the first-come-first serve sites within the campground (subject to availability), there isn't a fee to switch. But the campground and the backcountry are managed separately; you'd have to cancel your campground booking, pay the cancellation fee, and book a backcountry site on Rock Lake.

And when you book a backcountry (aka interior) site you're just booking for the lake, and within the lake it's all first-come-first-serve, so you'd have no guarantee you'd get the site you're talking about. In general backcountry campsites on Rock Lake are only accessible by boat; the one by the Booth estate might be an exception to that since it's so close to the Booth's Rock Trail, but as I said you might end up having to paddle to one of the other ones if you book an interior site on Rock Lake. And of course it's a completely different camping experience than frontcountry since you won't have access to your vehicle or any facilities.

 

4/11/2017 10:47 am  #3


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

Dan is right! The Booth Estate is no exception though. It's just one of the 19 canoeing sites available on Rock Lake, very uncertain if you'd get it walking in and if you don't, there are no reliable options.

 

 

4/12/2017 11:09 am  #4


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

I have never caught a trout in Rock Lake although there are some there.  There is also bass in the lake as well.


Tripping in Algonquin Park is not about seeking shelter from a storm, tripping in Algonquin Park is about dancing in the rain!
 

4/12/2017 6:33 pm  #5


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

Well bass won't be in season... so yeah, Rock Lake might not be your best bet for fishing in the spring, unless you're using it as a base for daytrips into back lakes.

spicol, by "exception" I just meant it might be physically possible to access it without a boat... but I haven't actually tried it, and even if it is it wouldn't really matter, since you wouldn't want to head out there without a canoe in hopes of getting the one campsite that wouldn't leave you totally stranded.

Last edited by DanPM (4/12/2017 6:51 pm)

 

4/13/2017 7:28 am  #6


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

DanPM wrote:

Well bass won't be in season... so yeah, Rock Lake might not be your best bet for fishing in the spring, unless you're using it as a base for daytrips into back lakes.

spicol, by "exception" I just meant it might be physically possible to access it without a boat... but I haven't actually tried it, and even if it is it wouldn't really matter, since you wouldn't want to head out there without a canoe in hopes of getting the one campsite that wouldn't leave you totally stranded.

That campsite is very easily accessed via the Booth's Rock trail, so easy that in the summer I bet you'd get a few dozen tourists in your campsite per day. 

 

4/13/2017 8:55 am  #7


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

ATVenture wrote:

DanPM wrote:

Well bass won't be in season... so yeah, Rock Lake might not be your best bet for fishing in the spring, unless you're using it as a base for daytrips into back lakes.

spicol, by "exception" I just meant it might be physically possible to access it without a boat... but I haven't actually tried it, and even if it is it wouldn't really matter, since you wouldn't want to head out there without a canoe in hopes of getting the one campsite that wouldn't leave you totally stranded.

That campsite is very easily accessed via the Booth's Rock trail, so easy that in the summer I bet you'd get a few dozen tourists in your campsite per day. 

As Joey would say, it's a "moo" point as the Park would not allow you to book a canoe site with the intent of backpacking to it. All backcountry sites at Algonquin are use-specific. Fines would apply, I suspect, if you are found doing this.

A reference, for those who have led a sheltered life http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png






 


Dave
 

4/13/2017 9:15 am  #8


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

ATVenture wrote:

DanPM wrote:

Well bass won't be in season... so yeah, Rock Lake might not be your best bet for fishing in the spring, unless you're using it as a base for daytrips into back lakes.

spicol, by "exception" I just meant it might be physically possible to access it without a boat... but I haven't actually tried it, and even if it is it wouldn't really matter, since you wouldn't want to head out there without a canoe in hopes of getting the one campsite that wouldn't leave you totally stranded.

That campsite is very easily accessed via the Booth's Rock trail, so easy that in the summer I bet you'd get a few dozen tourists in your campsite per day. 

My very first back country trip, many years ago, I stayed on this site. I had not at all been involved in the planning of the trip and for a long time after, had no idea of our route apart from the fact that we were south of 60. A couple of years ago we hiked Booth's Rock trail and when we got down to the area around the site, it looked strangely familiar. A little bit of wandering and I realized I had been there before. I was able to piece together our route after that.

The trail more or less stumbles within earshot of the site. A nice site no doubt, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for any kind of solitude. 

 

4/14/2017 11:28 pm  #9


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

Algonquintripper wrote:

As Joey would say, it's a "moo" point as the Park would not allow you to book a canoe site with the intent of backpacking to it. All backcountry sites at Algonquin are use-specific. Fines would apply, I suspect, if you are found doing this.

I have trouble imagining that the park would fine you for accessing a canoeing campsite by foot, assuming it was properly booked... what are they going to do, inspect your campsite and fine you for failing to produce a canoe?

Assuming you booked it as a canoe trip, the issue wouldn't be rules and enforcement but the fact that you can't book individual sites, so if you showed up without a canoe and that one site was taken you'd have no way to get to one of the others.

 

4/15/2017 5:57 am  #10


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

DanPM wrote:

Algonquintripper wrote:

As Joey would say, it's a "moo" point as the Park would not allow you to book a canoe site with the intent of backpacking to it. All backcountry sites at Algonquin are use-specific. Fines would apply, I suspect, if you are found doing this.

I have trouble imagining that the park would fine you for accessing a canoeing campsite by foot, assuming it was properly booked... what are they going to do, inspect your campsite and fine you for failing to produce a canoe?

Assuming you booked it as a canoe trip, the issue wouldn't be rules and enforcement but the fact that you can't book individual sites, so if you showed up without a canoe and that one site was taken you'd have no way to get to one of the others.

People do it all the time.. Take Number One Lake for example on the Barron Canyon Road, Its accessed by a 180m portage from the road and the two sites are considered "canoe in sites" but its a dead end lake and the campsites are both accessed from the portage. Same idea for Mallard Lake on the road to Sec Lake, as well as Sec lake which has at least 4 sites that people hike into. You can also hike into the 5 sites slightly East of the Jack Pine Trail on Grand Lake. Oh and Pretty Lake as well is a 'canoe site' without needing a canoe. 

Last edited by ATVenture (4/15/2017 5:58 am)

 

4/15/2017 10:37 am  #11


Re: Site switch to "first come first serve"

Just a note:

this  thread is posted in the "Backcountry Hiking" forum.

I'm not sure if the OP is paddling, car camping or backpacking.


Barbara


Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917
 

Board footera