LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2017 6:22 am  #18


Re: Neoprene Socks

MartinG wrote:

Neoprene is not waterproof. Neoprene socks like the ones at MEC won't keep your feet dry if you are standing in water. They are water resistant and they provide insulation. The perspiration or sweating some people report could be the water getting through. Neoprene in a wetsuit or sock is designed to trap a thin layer of moisture against your skin where your body heat warms it up and the neoprene provides insulation.

That's what I had thought.
I'm trying to figure out what to do for my footwear for the trip I've got booked for first weekend in May.
I was starting to lean towards the NRS Boundary Shoe that ShawnD had posted.
It's adverstised as waterproof.  However I've never used anything neoprene before and I have a feeling the lack of breathability will have by feet sweating and wet...

Then I was thinking neoprene socks in some hiking boots...
Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by breed85 (4/17/2017 6:22 am)

 

4/17/2017 7:26 am  #19


Re: Neoprene Socks

Hey Breed85

So I haven't actually used the NRS boundary shoe as they are still in the mail. But ya they should work the same as my MEC moque boots. Just higher and maybe a little better grip. Again haven't used them yet.

Really not sure why NRS uses the word waterproof with them as they should work as Martin describes.

I have found it's the best option in cold water. Short of a rubber boot or wearing  my waterproof hiking boots and only stepping in really shallow water ( which on many portages is very hard to do) not sure how you keep your feet dry. I just want my feet to be warm and comfortable which I find the neoprene accomplishes.

Get to camp dry off your feet and put some warm socks on and your camp shoe.
That simple for me really.

Before I bought the boundary shoe I looked very hard at Martin's NRS workboot. They would offer more support I think just aren't as high. So your choice there. 

Best prices I found for both were here:

http://trailheadpaddleshack.ca/store/nrs-workboot-wetshoe/dp/14854

http://www.lacordee.com/en/nrs-boundary-boots

Last edited by ShawnD (4/17/2017 7:29 am)

 

4/17/2017 8:06 am  #20


Re: Neoprene Socks

ShawnD wrote:

I have found it's the best option in cold water. Short of a rubber boot or wearing my waterproof hiking boots and only stepping in really shallow water ( which on many portages is very hard to do) not sure how you keep your feet dry. I just want my feet to be warm and comfortable which I find the neoprene accomplishes.

I always wear heavy-duty self-bailing shoes, and in cold weather I put on Goretex waterproof socks. It keeps my foot dry unless I wade in knee-high water, and it's no less warm when wet than neoprene.

 

4/17/2017 11:57 am  #21


Re: Neoprene Socks

Hmm..  wonder if a knee high waterproof sock like the ones SealSkinz sell  inside the NRS Boundary Shoe would keep your feet dry and allow you to submerge up to knee high..

 

4/17/2017 12:17 pm  #22


Re: Neoprene Socks

I haven't used the boundary shoe either. Maybe it is waterproof!. Stephen Molson used to wear a pair of Chota Mucklucks which are like the boundary shoe. He said they kept him dry. My MEC socks do not stay dry. Neither do the Neoprene socks in my NRS Work boots. 

I don't really know all the ins and outs of Neoprene. Are there different grades? Or maybe there is multilayer neoprene construction that is waterproof. I just understand the principal behind a wetsuit made of neoprene. I suppose neoprene must pose some form of barrier against the transfer of water. Since the goal of a wetsuit is to trap a thin layer of water against your skin. If water could freely pass through, water wouldn't be trapped. There would ba a constant transfer of water and you would not stay warm.

I could be wrong. Maybe Neoprene is waterproof.

 

4/17/2017 1:19 pm  #23


Re: Neoprene Socks

MartinG wrote:

I haven't used the boundary shoe either. Maybe it is waterproof!. Stephen Molson used to wear a pair of Chota Mucklucks which are like the boundary shoe. He said they kept him dry. My MEC socks do not stay dry. Neither do the Neoprene socks in my NRS Work boots. 

I don't really know all the ins and outs of Neoprene. Are there different grades? Or maybe there is multilayer neoprene construction that is waterproof. I just understand the principal behind a wetsuit made of neoprene. I suppose neoprene must pose some form of barrier against the transfer of water. Since the goal of a wetsuit is to trap a thin layer of water against your skin. If water could freely pass through, water wouldn't be trapped. There would ba a constant transfer of water and you would not stay warm.

I could be wrong. Maybe Neoprene is waterproof.

From my reading it appears that if the seams are taped properly then the material is waterproof.
(Like a rain jacket, some are water resistant (seams not taped or welded) vs waterproof (seems taped and or welded)).
But again, I have no experience with Neoprene but understand the concept as MartinG has stated.

 

4/18/2017 6:16 pm  #24


Re: Neoprene Socks

Ok Guys .

So my NRS boundary shoes came today.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/Shawnld/IMG_1438_zpsqu0tiebs.jpg


I can confirm that they are to my pleasant surprise completely waterproof.

Looking at my MEC moque boots the zipper on the side likley lets water in. These are completely seam sealed.

They should be just the ticket. Very comfy too. 

Last edited by ShawnD (4/18/2017 7:35 pm)

 

4/18/2017 7:29 pm  #25


Re: Neoprene Socks

ShawnD wrote:

Ok Guys .

So my NRS boundary shoes came today.

I can confirm that they are to my pleasant surprise completely waterproof.

Looking at my MEC moque boots the zipper on the side likley lets water in. These are completely seem sealed.

They should be just the ticket. Very comfy too. 

Thanks ShawnD.
Do they fit to size? Looking to order a set from MEC VERY soon.

 

4/18/2017 7:43 pm  #26


Re: Neoprene Socks

Hey Breed85

So I don't think MEC carries them anymore.

This place in Quebec has them for the best price I could find. Free fast shipping too.

http://www.lacordee.com/en/nrs-boundary-boots

I bought 1 size up because I read quite a few reviews that they run small. Plus lots of people using thicker socks for warmth which I will likely do as well.

I would say they fit true to size though. You can tighten them with the cross strap pretty well if need be. So depends on how thick of a sock you plan to wear I guess plus they only come if full sizes. If you are a half size I would order up for sure not down.

Last edited by ShawnD (4/18/2017 7:45 pm)

 

4/18/2017 8:36 pm  #27


Re: Neoprene Socks

ShawnD wrote:

Hey Breed85

So I don't think MEC carries them anymore.

This place in Quebec has them for the best price I could find. Free fast shipping too.

http://www.lacordee.com/en/nrs-boundary-boots

I bought 1 size up because I read quite a few reviews that they run small. Plus lots of people using thicker socks for warmth which I will likely do as well.

I would say they fit true to size though. You can tighten them with the cross strap pretty well if need be. So depends on how thick of a sock you plan to wear I guess plus they only come if full sizes. If you are a half size I would order up for sure not down.

Thank you!

 

5/29/2017 1:44 pm  #28


Re: Neoprene Socks

I have no experience with neoprene socks but I've SCUBA for years. I use my dive boots for kayaking in cold weather or "yucky" launches. A few things I can offer that may be of help.

Neoprene is sorta mostly a one way valve. For diving it lets the water in but not out, some outdoor and kayak gear it's made the other way around giving you some warmth and remaining water resist. My knowledge of thermodynamics is too rusty to explain why it's warmer trapping the water in than out but it is. Once they're wet they're wet. My boots take 24-72 hours to dry after a dive. They take 5 min to soak at the surface so I often can get in and out of my boat with dry feet. It's almost instant at 10' deep. At least in the case of dive boots stepping to my knees doesn't let water in the top of them, but they fit tight. 

I haven't used them for a long portage yet but intend to on my maiden trip into Algonquin in June. However I've spent all day in them on multi dive days and it's not horrible.... but you're happy to be out of them and dry off your feet at the end of a day. Only time I've been cold is when the water first seeps in (2-5 min warm up time depending on air/water temp) or when ocean temps were in the low 40's, if you're getting into the 30's go with a dry suit. 

As for buying them, I'd try a dive store first, but that's my background. 

Hope that helps.


Pat.
Sea Kayaker stuck in the middle of the country too far from the ocean.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons. For thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
 

5/30/2017 4:54 am  #29


Re: Neoprene Socks

For the first time ever this spring I wore a tall pair of Bogg boots on my trip. I knew the portages would be flooded and wet. Best idea ever! Yes they're heavier than a pair of hiking boots, but man was it nice to have completely dry feet all the time! In camp I switched to a pair of running shoes.
Those boots aren't your daddy's rubber boots, they've got tons of support and are actually very comfy to hike in. To make them even better I put an upgraded insole in them and they were fantastic.

This is how I'll be operating from now on for early spring trips. Any other time of year I'll be wearing my constantly wet hiking boots then switching to camp shoes at the end of the day.

Regarding neoprene socks I hate them. My feet sweat and they're not waterproof. Goretex socks are awesome for wearing with hiking boots, but expensive. 

 

5/30/2017 7:02 am  #30


Re: Neoprene Socks

Just an update on the NRS Boundary Boot that I purchased and used on this years spring trip.
They were super comfy while sitting in the boat, kept my feet completely dry during put ins and take outs.

They have no ankle support, but we had fairly easy portages. If we had some longer or more difficult portages I would think I'd want switch into something with additional support.

I used them the rainy and cold May 5th weekend so it was cool enough that my feet didn't sweat, but they also kept my feet warm enough while wearing a pair of Smartwool "Trekkers".

We ended up cutting our trip real short so didn't get an extended review of them, but my initial impression of them was good.

 

6/06/2017 4:19 pm  #31


Re: Neoprene Socks

Thanks for the update!

 

Board footera